Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options
  • 09-11-2005 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

What's the lowdown that I don't know...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Familiarise yourself.

www.Balbriggan.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jack2002

Cheers for that site, but what's the real lowdown that wouldn't appear on sites...

Well to be honest with you this thread is a bit pointless.

I'm sure you'll find out lots of gossip when you move there, at the moment the gossip would be of no consequence to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jack2002

I have already moved so not that pointless after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

You fart at the church and by the time you get home the whole town thinks you shít yourself........that sums up gossip in balbriggan tbh.

Its not as bad these days with the massive number of new housing developments going up. Expanding population makes it harder for the old gossip mill.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you living down in one of the new housing estates,where martlello towers,bracken court,chieftains way etc are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Great town, :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Are there many others out there from the 'Brixter'?
    I was born and bred there myself, surely there must be plenty of people newly moved to the town.
    Well, anyone want to admit to living out here ?

Chopperdog wrote:
    I was born and bred there myself, surely there must be plenty of people newly moved to the town.

Bred and buttered there mesmelf....... love it

Chopperdog wrote:

Pardon?

• Advertisement

Hi Bluetonic,
    'The Brixter' is an old name that was sometimes used for Balbriggan back in the 70's, not used now at all. Just thought that I would give it an airing, obviously it was before your time.
    I hope that was what your 'Pardon' was referring to...

Chopperdog wrote:
    Hi Bluetonic,
    'The Brixter' is an old name that was sometimes used for Balbriggan back in the 70's, not used now at all. Just thought that I would give it an airing, obviously it was before your time.
    I hope that was what your 'Pardon' was referring to...

Never heard the term being used before, must ask around about it.

Born and reared man myself, over 4 decades.

Aye born and bred here myself, as was my dad.

Can't say I've ever heard the term 'Brixter'....have often heard it referred to as the Brig though ;)

Theres tonnes of new housing estates going up, its incredible. I used to work part time in Texaco and people would be looking for directions to estates I'd never even heard of.

Too many houses and no facilities does not a happy town make.

Hi PeachyP,

I am with you on the growth of the town and the serious sprawl.
    Fields that I was shooting and running my dog in only last year now have a crop of houses in them ( Not to mention a Dunnes Stores!).
    As you said, too many houses gone up too quickly with damn all back-up infrastructure can only lead to a ghetto culture.
    Think of the area around the Garda Barracks in 15 years time..... Scary!!! :(

Yea its ridiculous. Rumour has it that the area where the mill used to be had been a proposed site for a cinema and leisure centre of some sort.....but now that they have permission to build, its going to be more apartments :mad:

The only thing there is in the town is the Combined Clubs which is basically a large hall with a very small gym on top.

I dread to think what the schools situation is going to be in 10 years time. Its bad enough as it is. The lack of foresight is frightening.

Yea its ridiculous. Rumour has it that the area where the mill used to be had been a proposed site for a cinema and leisure centre of some sort.....but now that they have permission to build, its going to be more apartments :mad:

The only thing there is in the town is the Combined Clubs which is basically a large hall with a very small gym on top.

I dread to think what the schools situation is going to be in 10 years time. Its bad enough as it is. The lack of foresight is frightening.

A new primary and secondary school are in the planning stages for the Castlelands area behind Wavin.

The tender was put out for the cinema and there was NO interest in it, which is fair enough, why would there be with a new 10 screen cinema being built 15 minutes up the road. It would operate at a loss. They are looking at alternatives for the site. The museum will still go ahead in Gallens.

There is planning permission already for a swimmng pool and lesuire centre off Hamlet Lane. Work will start soon.

The rugby club is relocating to Balrothery and another swimming pool going in there for public use.

O'Dwyers is relocating to the Bells Lane area with a massive development, supported by Moriarity. Public will have use of facilities.

Balbriggan FC are building a new clubhouse and facilities soon.

There's also a newly opened astroturf pitch in the town.

There's lots going on in the town, give it a few years lads.

Bluetonic wrote:
    A new primary and secondary school are in the planning stages for the Castlelands area behind Wavin.
    Bit late

The tender was put out for the cinema and there was NO interest in it, which is fair enough, why would there be with a new 10 screen cinema being built 15 minutes up the road. It would operate at a loss. They are looking at alternatives for the site. The museum will still go ahead in Gallens.
    Because the developers put a rediculous price on the lease knowing that if the price is too high they will not get tennants therefore they get what they want!! more flats -increased revenue(clever way around the planning)

There is planning permission already for a swimmng pool and lesuire centre off Hamlet Lane. Work will start soon.
    When

The rugby club is relocating to Balrothery and another swimming pool going in there for public use.
    This is one of the few success's, fair play to the rugby club, nudge nudge wink wink

O'Dwyers is relocating to the Bells Lane area with a massive development, supported by Moriarity. Public will have use of facilities.
    No better man, with his minions on the town council

When

What, where?

There's lots going on in the town, give it a few years lads.

Only when the developor(moriarty especially) have drained every penny of profit out of our community and bugger off, the town council needs to be horsewhipped(with the exception of a few) also,

Apart from that Balbriggan is a great town:v:

When - In the new year. The planning has been granted by FCC. Read the application and permission myself in the paper around 6 weeks ago.

When Not too sure on this one but I believe the project can't start until the after the Seal Sanctury at Blackrock - which had the first sod turned on Saturday.

What, where? Where the old tennis facility was. Open to public usage upon agreement with Hyde Park and Glebe North

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

just moved there too,

Most important discovery so far is Dunnes is a few minute walk and apache pizza is in spar;)

Moonbeam wrote:
    Most important discovery so far is Dunnes is a few minute walk and apache pizza is in spar;)

Fair play to you, nice to see someone integrating fully with the new community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Moved out to Balbriggan last April, will be moving back to town this April!

Welcome to Balbriggan M.B. !

I'm sure you will settle in fine and see that the natives are a fairly good crew.
    Welcome on board.

eo980 wrote:
    Moved out to Balbriggan last April, will be moving back to town this April!

If possible can you try and round up a few more with you. :rolleyes:

I'll see what I can do! It seems like a nice enough area, but had nothing but problems there especially with the flat.

I only got my keys on Thursday! Gimme a chance:)
    My electricity is only being switched on today and heating tomorrow.

eo980 wrote:
    I'll see what I can do! It seems like a nice enough area, but had nothing but problems there especially with the flat.

It's a shame that they are even building flats and appartments in the area at all, better suited to 3/4 bed houses, but obviously developers want to get as much cash as possible. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bluetonic wrote:
    obviously developers want to get as much cash as possible. Shame.

Wouldn't you?

testicle wrote:
    Wouldn't you?

Not in the way that they do. One of the builders on our apartments was telling us how they come in to the complex everyday and have to visit numerous apartments and fix various problems left behind by the original builders on the project.

Our apartment has leaked seriously twice. The fire alarm is forever going off, at ALL times of the day and night. There is a serious problem with gangs of kids getting into the building in the evenings and at night.

I of course would want to make a profit, but not at the expense of the tenants sanity!!!

if it was only 3/4 bedroomed houses it would not have been as affordable:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Anybody know why the Garda station in Balbriggan is so big?

Advertisement