Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

i could easily find out what went on in the belle hill but at the time i was too young to be a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sinister wrote:
    i could easily find out what went on in the belle hill but at the time i was too young to be a customer.

He's refering to the what it was named after, not the pub itslef.

Jez, don't you know any little bit of history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Bluetonic wrote:
    He's refering to the what it was named after, not the pub itslef.

Jez, don't you know any little bit of history!

Although I could probably get an eye witness account of what went on in the Bell Hill tavern, probably a more dramatic one than the ship wreck ,,,,

Although I could probably get an eye witness account of what went on in the Bell Hill tavern, probably a more dramatic one than the ship wreck ,,,,

:D

• Advertisement

sorry,
    i know about the ship, but as i was solely talking about the pub i really didn't considder the shipwreck bit. i should have read more carefully.
    i apologise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The free parknig on the main st down by supervalu is now gone:(
    There is now no free parking for the train station in the morning:(

Moonbeam wrote:
    The free parknig on the main st down by supervalu is now gone:(
    There is now no free parking for the train station in the morning:(

Sure there is ample amount of free parking in the church car park. Also plenty of parking at Seapoint.

Where are you coming from in your car?

The train station car park is going pay and display soon too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Train station car park never has space.

Only coming up from martello towers it isn't crazily far but on wet mornings it is an extra 1/2 hour in bed and means being alot drier:)

Seapoint?

I have heard of the church and car park,thats down by the big roundabout on to the town bypass?

Moonbeam wrote:
    Seapoint?

I have heard of the church and car park,thats down by the big roundabout on to the town bypass?

Well yeah, the church car park is just across from....The Church on Dublin Street.

As for Seapoint, well there's no parking restrictions there at all.

• Advertisement

what or where is seapoint?

Moonbeam wrote:

It's a road in Balbriggan.

Go for a little drive and explore the place a litte more!

Moonbeam wrote:

The long road from the prom(harbour side) to Fancourt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

It was owned and ran by Tommy Gallagher & family who live in Seapoint, they sold it to Gerry Ellis who turned it into 'The Belle Hill'.

As a good little Balbrigganer I am sure you know all about the original Belle Hill ?!
    I thought Damien Eastwood owned the Belle Hill. Maybe he was just a part owner. Also I think it was called 'The Glebe' at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

is the shuttle bus service running still? i know bus eireann are the worst bus company in western europe (prolly), but it would save u from getting totally soaked on the wet days.

sirpsycho wrote:
    is the shuttle bus service running still? i know bus eireann are the worst bus company in western europe (prolly), but it would save u from getting totally soaked on the wet days.

On totally wet days I'm sure it makes sense to use Quay Street car park, after all it's only 2 euro for a full days parking. The shuttle bus is 1 euro per trip.

The long road from the prom(harbour side) to Fancourt :D

Very nice area of the town your talking about there, plenty of money up that way. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

dubmick wrote:
    I thought Damien Eastwood owned the Belle Hill. Maybe he was just a part owner. Also I think it was called 'The Glebe' at one stage.

Dubmick, I stand corrected....

Gerry Ellis had this pub as the Glebe and Damian Eastwood and the Belle Hill came after the Glebe.

You know your drinking holes buddy ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I saw Ireland beat England 1-0 in the 1988 European Championships in the Belle Hill. Jaysus, that was 18 years ago.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Very nice area of the town your talking about there, plenty of money up that way. :rolleyes:

Yes it is very nice, but theyre not rolling in money, its nice because they have some pride in their area and keep the gardens and house fronts looking well. they're no better off than most of the other areas in old balbriggan. (old balbriggan = balbriggan minus lego land);)

• Advertisement

Sinister wrote:
    Yes it is very nice, but theyre not rolling in money, its nice because they have some pride in their area and keep the gardens and house fronts looking well. they're no better off than most of the other areas in old balbriggan. (old balbriggan = balbriggan minus lego land);)

Seamus Murphy keeps his garden in order alright :rolleyes:

Bluetonic wrote:
    Seamus Murphy keeps his garden in order alright :rolleyes:

its called "the bower" where he lives, he only moved there in the last few years and was well off before then. everyone else are just regular heads with normal jobs and lifestyles.

Sinister wrote:
    its called "the bower" where he lives, he only moved there in the last few years and was well off before then. everyone else are just regular heads with normal jobs and lifestyles.

I think you'll find it's 'called' Isaacs Bower, but perhaps more commonly 'known' as The Bower :rolleyes:

I was saying it tongue in cheek by the way, I've been living there since the 70s, I remember Seamus house when it was just Mr Byrnes side garden before he gave the land to his daughter and her husband (Calazo) to build the house where Seamus lives now.

I think humour is sometimes missed on these boards - I was awaiting a response from some other who frequent this place from the area! Anyhow....!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks - Where's the Cycle & Army Store in Balbriggan?

Hill Billy wrote:
    Folks - Where's the Cycle & Army Store in Balbriggan?

It's up on the roof top car park of Tesco.

Thanks for that!
    BTW - Any of you good Balbriggan folk know what the fishing is like in Balbriggan (harbour or beach) or Barnageeragh?

Hill Billy wrote:
    Thanks for that!
    BTW - Any of you good Balbriggan folk know what the fishing is like in Balbriggan (harbour or beach) or Barnageeragh?

About the only decent thing you will catch from the short is mackerel. One of the better spots is the 'Diving Board' up by Issacs Bower ('The Bower') at the back of Fancourt Heights.

Thanks Bluetonic!
    Is the Bower the next right after the County Bridge (coming from Skerries)?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

yep, after the right you take the next left and that will bring you down to the big georgian houses.

• Advertisement

sirpsycho wrote:
    yep, after the right you take the next left and that will bring you down to the big georgian houses.

Did you know that those two (original) houses were built in advance of the building of The Great Northern Railway. The railway had been planned to be built directly infront of these house, following a path along the coast.

http://oldirishimages.com/towns%20and%20villages/co%20dublin/balbriggan/DB004.jpg

Advertisement