Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Bluetonic wrote:
    Did you know that those two (original) houses were built in advance of the building of The Great Northern Railway. The railway had been planned to be built directly infront of these house, following a path along the coast.

http://oldirishimages.com/towns%20and%20villages/co%20dublin/balbriggan/DB004.jpg

Didnt know that, how did you come across this info! Planning to build a railway along cliffs, savage views but jaysus, wouldnt last too long with coastal erosion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

Hill Billy wrote:
    Thanks Bluetonic!
    Is the Bower the next right after the County Bridge (coming from Skerries)?

you could take the right turn before the county bridge, keep going till the road turns to tarmacadam and take the right turn there.

you can cross the grass thats infront of the corner house, the locals go mad if you cross the grass infront of the other houses. private from that point up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sinister wrote:
    private from that point up.

Listed on the land registery as a public right of way.
    sirpsycho wrote:
    Out near 'the' Naul.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Listed on the land registery as a public right of way.

Out near 'the' Naul.

ahh, The Westtown House as i call it I presume. Use to go shooting around there with me neighbours. Mostly in ruins now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Incase anyone missed my previous psot about it -

we really could do with a Balbriggan forum/sub forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054943459

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Bluetonic wrote:
    I think humour is sometimes missed on these boards - I was awaiting a response from some other who frequent this place from the area! Anyhow....!

Wait...what did I miss...? Oh right, yeah those fancourt heights gits are LOADED :p

As for the sub-forum...still think it should be North County Dublin but Devore is uber-busy at the moment so that may be why he hasn't sorted the requested title change to the thread in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭paulie13

as regards the population of balbriggan ballooning, myself and my girlfriend are going to be new residents by the end of the year. Moving to a new estate called Bremore Pastures in Flemington (near Hamlet Lane shopping place). Anyone else moving in to this place. Not much information coming from the builders (what a surprise), so would appreciate any info or stories people may have on the development. Thanks

paulie13 wrote:
    Moving to a new estate called Bremore Pastures in Flemington (near Hamlet Lane shopping place).

What a funny name. I don't ever remember there being any pastures up in Flemington, it was all arable land up there, the cheek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Bluetonic wrote:
    What a funny name. I don't ever remember there being any pastures up in Flemington, it was all arable land up there, the cheek!

Strange that you say that, I remember mitching from school up there and quite a bit of it was pasture, some of the land beside the road might have been arable but between the back of the tech and flemington lane the vast majority was pasture, in saying that Bremore Pastures is a bit of a poxy name:D
    Had a stroll around there lately and the houses look well built, unlike some of them up in lego land.....

• Advertisement

between the back of the tech and flemington lane the vast majority was pasture

I never made it past the back of 'The Telecom' myself. Far too lazy! :rolleyes:

Bluetonic wrote:
    I never made it past the back of 'The Telecom' myself. Far too lazy! :rolleyes:

The memories :p

Strange that you say that, I remember mitching from school up there and quite a bit of it was pasture, some of the land beside the road might have been arable but between the back of the tech and flemington lane the vast majority was pasture, in saying that Bremore Pastures is a bit of a poxy name:D
    Had a stroll around there lately and the houses look well built, unlike some of them up in lego land.....

Where is lego land???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

Hey Paulie13,
    we are moving into Bremore Pastures as well. When are you moving in? Our appartment is only ready in March next year. Unfortunately we also just have very little to no information about the estate. Went out to have a look at it but so far it's only a building site. Are you moving into one of the houses or an appartment?

paulie13 wrote:
    Where is lego land???
    Between the guard station and flemigton lane and back up as far as the graveyard,

Kambika wrote:
    Hey Paulie13,
    we are moving into Bremore Pastures as well. When are you moving in? Our appartment is only ready in March next year. Unfortunately we also just have very little to no information about the estate. Went out to have a look at it but so far it's only a building site. Are you moving into one of the houses or an appartment?
    Maybe you have seen this but it has some info

http://www3.myhome.ie/premium/1/gallery.asp?id=15567

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

Yes I have read it all, I still thought it was quite vague and the estate agent doesn't seem to have any more information either. I just wish they had a show house already :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Between the guard station and flemigton lane and back up as far as the graveyard,

I think it's out of order referring to these houses as 'lego land' especially for the people who live there.

dubmick wrote:
    I think it's out of order referring to these houses as 'lego land' especially for the people who live there.

Sorry if I offended you dude........

Anyway It looks like balbriggan is about to become an awfull lot worse to live in
    Port is getting closer

By Donncha MacRaghnaill
    IT’S FULL steam ahead for Bremore Port, which could eventually surpass Dublin Port in terms of size, as councillors moved to facilitate the deepwater port by way of a special objective.

At a draft County Development Plan meeting on Monday, councillors agreed to create a new objective, the first step in a process which could see phase one up and running ‘in three years optimistically and five at the outside’.

This was the view taken by Director of Planning David O’Connor who said while no timescale had been fixed, ‘our intention is to move very quickly on this’.

It was also revealed by Mr O’Connor that the Port would eventually have its own interchange directly onto the motorway travelling across country ‘to protect the amenities of Balbriggan and Balscadden’.

Councillors heard that after the final third phase this figure could rise to 25 million tonnes, in comparison to the current Dublin port capacity of 23 million.

Time to move out me thinks:mad:

dubmick wrote:

Why? There are a lot of people who think that the whole area is a terrible eyesore, badly developed, badly planned and now being badly run.

If someone has an opinion or views on a certain area be them good or bad they have the right to air them. If you don't think that these views are correct well them give some counter views with a few examples but we should be allowed to express our views.

I for one have been refering to the area as 'Lego Land' since the first houses went up and will continue to.

• Advertisement

Yup, have to agree with Bluetonic there. Maybe it's just our area of the town but the new developments have always been known as Lego land. It's no refelction on the people that live there.

it's no reflection of the people who live there but it is insulting to the people who live there and pay mortgages every month for them. It's quite obvious that this area wasn't planned very well but I don't see the point of slagging peoples homes. Estates like Hampden Cove and Fancourt Heights are not going to be built again really.

And meditraitor it hasn't offended me at all and I didn't mean to take a dig at you (if it came across that way).

dubmick wrote:
    it's no reflection of the people who live there but it is insulting to the people who live there and pay mortgages every month for them. It's quite obvious that this area wasn't planned very well but I don't see the point of slagging peoples homes. Estates like Hampden Cove and Fancourt Heights are not going to be built again really.

And meditraitor it hasn't offended me at all and I didn't mean to take a dig at you (if it came across that way).

I don't see how it's offensive at all really. You admit yourself that it's obvious the place was thrown together. Its not like people are calling it a kip full of knackers or anything. Lego Land is just a humorous little nick name. Not a big deal really. Besides, you said yourself that you're not offended by it so what's the problem?

the problem is that I would be offended if I did live there and I'm sure there are many people on the board that do live there. It's only my opinion at the end of the day and you's can call it what you want.

dubmick wrote:
    the problem is that I would be offended if I did live there

I don't think that we should hide away from our opinions just becasue some people might be offended. Surely people realise what they were buying into. If the owners and occupiers of the area we are talking about think they are living in some sort of utopia or that they think that other people are not going to have an opinion on their developments then I would be surprised.

To think that owners and occupiers in these developments would be insulted by someone forming an opinion is astonishing. The real insult is the price they paid for their property. People standards must be very low. I fear for the future of Balbriggan.

dubmick wrote:
    the problem is that I would be offended if I did live there and I'm sure there are many people on the board that do live there.

You may see that as the problem, however the fact of the matter is that you don't live there and nobody else has voiced any feelings of offence to the name.

I'll be perfectly honest with you...I hate those estates. I think they're badly made with too many houses and the population is expanding far too rapidly for the limited facilities in the town to cope. In 5-10 years time there is going to be a big problem in the town as there won't be enough places in the schools and nothing for the teenagers to do in the evenings and during the summer. This will give rise to what the powers-that-be like to refer to as 'anti-social behaviour'.

This, of course, is not to say that Balbriggan didn't have it's problems before the massive amounts of housing developments were put in place. However, the amount of amenities in the town is nowhere near adequate enough to meet the needs of the ever-growing population.

Again, this is no reflection on the people who live there but rather on the greedy developers who want to cram in as many houses and apartments as possible with no thought towards the future of the town beyond their making some money.

It's always been called Lego Land and I for one will continue to call it that.

Kambika wrote:
    Hey Paulie13,

Hey Kambika!

Great to finally hear from someone else who is moving there! Have been out to the site three times so far. Last Sunday myself and my girlfriend went out and spent a day looking about the town (thought Balbriggan beach was lovely). We are moving into one of the 3 bed duplexes in Bremore Pastures Park. Signed contracts yesterday with our solicitor and the latest she had heard was around Christmas time (for moving in). The contract says within 24 months so god only knows! There is so little information out there its unreal. One of the biggest investments of my life and I hardly know anything about it. Was trying to get room by room dimensions for our place but to no avail. The solicitor said she would try to get us the site foremans details so if I get that, I will give you a shout. Hopefully everything works out for you. Try to post if you get any more info. Cheers

paulie13 wrote:
    Last Sunday myself and my girlfriend went out and spent a day looking about the town (thought Balbriggan beach was lovely).

The water is probably a little dirty at the moment as they are still pumping raw sewage into the sea up at Hampton Cove as they have been for the last few decades. However the good news is that the new treatment plant at Barnageara should be in operation by the end of the year. No more raw sewage being pumped into the sea in the area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I live in "lego land" not offended at all,better then cardboard land as I was calling it:)

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    The water is probably a little dirty at the moment as they are still pumping raw sewage into the sea up at Hampton Cove as they have been for the last few decades.

Yea I always feel sorry for the Sunshiners every summer having to swim in that....the poor little buggers.

Advertisement