Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Moonbeam wrote:
    I live in "lego land" not offended at all,better then cardboard land as I was calling it:)

I've found a picture of moonbeam.

Yea I always feel sorry for the Sunshiners every summer having to swim in that....the poor little buggers.

It's second to only The Dead Sea for buoyancy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Any one from those new estates might find this forum handy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=668

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

You may see that as the problem, however the fact of the matter is that you don't live there and nobody else has voiced any feelings of offence to the name.

I'll be perfectly honest with you...I hate those estates. I think they're badly made with too many houses and the population is expanding far too rapidly for the limited facilities in the town to cope. In 5-10 years time there is going to be a big problem in the town as there won't be enough places in the schools and nothing for the teenagers to do in the evenings and during the summer. This will give rise to what the powers-that-be like to refer to as 'anti-social behaviour'.

This, of course, is not to say that Balbriggan didn't have it's problems before the massive amounts of housing developments were put in place. However, the amount of amenities in the town is nowhere near adequate enough to meet the needs of the ever-growing population.

Again, this is no reflection on the people who live there but rather on the greedy developers who want to cram in as many houses and apartments as possible with no thought towards the future of the town beyond their making some money.

It's always been called Lego Land and I for one will continue to call it that.

You do that then. I have my opinion and you have yours. ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Any one from those new estates might find this forum handy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=668

ha, ha :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bluetronic - nah thats the neighbour 2 doors up!

Meditraitor - ooh we could have a lego competition,I need a new shed and could do with an extension;)

Moonbeam wrote:
    Bluetronic - nah thats the neighbour 2 doors up!

Meditraitor - ooh we could have a lego competition,I need a new shed and could do with an extension;)

We should all get together for a Balbriggan Boards beer and lego shed making evening:D many hands make light work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

We should all get together for a Balbriggan Boards beer and lego shed making evening:D many hands make light work

I dont know if you are posting tongue in cheek on this one, but I would be well on for a Balbriggan Boards Beer night...

Any other takers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

paulie13 wrote:
    Hey Kambika!

Great to finally hear from someone else who is moving there! Have been out to the site three times so far. Last Sunday myself and my girlfriend went out and spent a day looking about the town (thought Balbriggan beach was lovely). We are moving into one of the 3 bed duplexes in Bremore Pastures Park. Signed contracts yesterday with our solicitor and the latest she had heard was around Christmas time (for moving in). The contract says within 24 months so god only knows! There is so little information out there its unreal. One of the biggest investments of my life and I hardly know anything about it. Was trying to get room by room dimensions for our place but to no avail. The solicitor said she would try to get us the site foremans details so if I get that, I will give you a shout. Hopefully everything works out for you. Try to post if you get any more info. Cheers

Yeah we asked for the measurements as well but they didn't have them. We are going for the 3 bed duplex as well, but in Bremore Pastures Green. We had a look at the plans at the estate agent but I still don't know what exactly to expect..
    Do you guys work in Dublin city centre? It would be great if you could PM me if you have any more info, will do the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Chopperdog wrote:
    I dont know if you are posting tongue in cheek on this one, but I would be well on for a Balbriggan Boards Beer night...

Any other takers??

I'd be up for that. Although some of you older posters are probably mates with my dad and that'd be a bit odd :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Yea I always feel sorry for the Sunshiners every summer having to swim in that....the poor little buggers.

Believe me, what they say passing you by down the beach is a lot dirtier!:eek:
    too many houses and the population is expanding far too rapidly for the limited facilities in the town to cope. In 5-10 years time there is going to be a big problem

Agreed. I'm living in the town about 12yrs, and as every year goes by there are bigger write-ups in the papers about parents having trouble getting their children into schools. The town is no where near ready for the large volumes coming in. I've my first son going into primary school this September, and it was a scary time when he didn't get through the first round of acceptance letters. When I visited the school itself they didn't seem confident that he'd get a place simply because he didn't have a brother or sister there. His fathers family have generations in the town, and it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

I like the town, it has its faults like any other - but the social matters, housing and schooling issues need to be dealt with as soon as possible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are the 2 new schools aswell too.
    The educate together one and the gaelscoil they should make a difference.
    Not sure how the gaelscoil is currently donig iwth planning permission though.

A balbriggan beers/lego building night doesn't sound like a bad idea,count me in.

Moonbeam wrote:
    A balbriggan beers/lego building night doesn't sound like a bad idea,count me in.

Me tooo

ok so I propose Sat 12th August for Balbriggan beers.
    By then alot of the Dun Saithne (think that is the name of it!)people should be in to their new homes.

and off course people have time to build up their lego collections;P

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Moonbeam wrote:
    There are the 2 new schools aswell too.
    The educate together one and the gaelscoil they should make a difference.
    Not sure how the gaelscoil is currently donig iwth planning permission though.

the gaelscoil got planning permission, was in last weeks Fingal.

Moonbeam wrote:
    ok so I propose Sat 12th August for Balbriggan beers.

That's the date of the main Boards Beers. Maybe the week after would be better?

I'd be up for that. Although some of you older posters are probably mates with my dad and that'd be a bit odd :p

Who's you dad peachy?

Not to be mixed up with the old classic "who's your daddy". Just curious

"the gaelscoil got planning permission, was in last weeks Fingal."

Cool:)

Someone objected to the planning permission a few weeks ago,glad they have it now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any of you good folk down in Balbriggan have your water cut off in the past couple of days or are Fingal CoCo just trying to kill us with thirst up here in The Hills? :(

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote:
    Any of you good folk down in Balbriggan have your water cut off in the past couple of days or are Fingal CoCo just trying to kill us with thirst up here in The Hills? :(

There was a flyer in the door yesterday saying there will be reduced water pressure, possibly leading to no water from 9pm to 6am for the next few weeks due to the ongoing works at the Lexlip plant.

As well as advising to watering your garden with collected rain water, you've also be advised to turn underwear inside out to get an extra days wear and lighten the load of the washing machine.

reduced water pressure :( *cry*

I have none to reduce

Bluetonic wrote:
    There was a flyer in the door yesterday saying there will be reduced water pressure, possibly leading to no water from 9pm to 6am for the next few weeks due to the ongoing works at the Lexlip plant.
    Feckers have been turning ours off from 3pm to 3am approx.
    Bluetonic wrote:
    As well as advising to watering your garden with collected rain water
    Will urine suffice? Will check in Gardening/DIY forum.
    Bluetonic wrote:
    you've also be advised to turn underwear inside out to get an extra days wear and lighten the load of the washing machine.
    Any advice for those of us who go commando? Inside-out dungarees are a bit of a give-away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Anticipation of moving out there just keeps building - it will be like camping holiday it seems.

Buy enough trousers to last through the hard times (and probably be the one responsible for the next shortage when it comes to washing them).

SeanOS wrote:
    it will be like camping holiday it seems.

Carry On Balbriggan?

Nominations for which boardies to play Sid James, Babs Windsor, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Williams, Leslie Phillips, et al?

Ring-a-ding-ding! ;)

Hill Billy wrote:
    Carry On Balbriggan?

Leslie Phillips,

:D

I take it that there's a Leslie Phillips in Balbriggan then.

Well, hellooooo!

Hill Billy wrote:

Well, hellooooo!
    Not that I know, but he is a particular favorite of mine, genius;)

Although I know a Leslie and a phillip

Hill Billy wrote:

Must be a blow in if there is, I don't know any Leslie Philips.

Bloody blow ins.

• Advertisement

*Gets the pitchfork ready*

Advertisement