Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Borzalino`s (restaurant in Drogheda) is opening beside the cinema soon. Should be a great addition to the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

If the Balbriggan Borzalino is 1/2 as good as the Drogheda one we are going to have a very good restaurant in the town.

They will definitely get my support.

We definitely need a more quality restaurants in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Macaris ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Thai is nice,

The chinese takeaway up the top of the town near spar is lovely too,

Completely unimpressed with the indian

I heard the Indian are close to getting a partnership deal with Andrex, free pack of sh1te roll with each delivery ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Moonbeam wrote:
    The Thai is nice,

The chinese takeaway up the top of the town near spar is lovely too,
    The one near the church that used to be the local funeral parlour?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sizzler wrote:
    I heard the Indian are close to getting a partnership deal with Andrex, free pack of sh1te roll with each delivery ;)

You guys talking about Garam Masala? :confused:
    I've never had a bad meal from there.
    The grub has been a bit oily once, but that's about it.
    (And I'm a fussy git when it comes to Indian food.)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

I've eaten in the Garam Marsala twice since I moved to Balbriggan (which granted was just 7 weeks ago), and both times the food was fantastic. The last time we went was when my parents came to visit, and all four dishes that we got were delicious. Maybe it depends on what type of Indian food you like...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yeah Garam Masala,thats the one.

It wasn't that the food was abd,it just wasn't fantastic.

I think I jsut have high standards for Indian food tbh.

I was spoilt with the local takeawyas in my old house:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's a shame that there isn't more decent resturants in the town.

No real need for a McDonalds.

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote:
    You guys talking about Garam Masala? :confused:
    I've never had a bad meal from there.
    The grub has been a bit oily once, but that's about it.
    (And I'm a fussy git when it comes to Indian food.)

I heard its a bit of a 'sixer' (6 hours later you will be on the jax).

Chalk yerself down for a spin down to The Bombay Pantry in Marino on your way home.(They do freshly cooked chilled meals which you can buy and bring home and heat up and they taste just amazing)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sizzler wrote:
    I heard its a bit of a 'sixer' (6 hours later you will be on the jax).
    I'll admit to the good ol' "Ring of Fire" the morning after - not surprising as I do like mine spicy - but I've not had a dose of the squirts.

Hill Billy wrote:
    I'll admit to the good ol' "Ring of Fire" the morning after - not surprising as I do like mine spicy - but I've not had a dose of the squirts.

You're lucky your arse didnt look like the Japenese flag the next day :D

I wish there was a bombay pantry there,it would be wonderfuil:)

Used to live near the one in closkeagh and the food is soo good:)

The cinema is to have 4 screens.

Just thought I'd let ya all know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Dam I've missed alot by not signing in regulary. So Balbriggan is still alive and kicking good stuff. I'll maybe drop back for a weekend towards the end of next month for a little visit. How's things Bluetonic? Still not a moderator for this thing yet??? Tut tut.

d-arke wrote:
    How's things Bluetonic? Still not a moderator for this thing yet??? Tut tut.

I wouldn't wish it upon myself, or my worst enemy to be honest. But if your putting yourself forward I'll certaintly second the motion :D

Things are the same as usual on both the pesonal front and the town front. Still lots of blow-ins around the town, and lego land is still expanding - thankfully in the correct direction - away from me. (May as well stir it up :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Bluetonic wrote:
    The cinema is to have 4 screens.

Just thought I'd let ya all know!

Where is the cinema going to be located? It's going to be nice to have a cinema in the town.

dead air wrote:
    Where is the cinema going to be located? It's going to be nice to have a cinema in the town.

Mill Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Bluetonic wrote:
    Mill Street.

which is the street that runs down the side of Deli Burger ;)

• Advertisement

sirpsycho wrote:
    which is the street that runs down the side of Deli Burger ;)

Thats the one alright, there used to be a cotton mill on that street, operational up until the last few years. It was powered by the canal which ran underground down the length of clonard street and under Drogheda Street and under Mill street. It was called locally the mill race, hence the name for the small housing estate off clonard street 'Mill Race'.

I see on another note lego land is under attack.
    Dublin: Shots fired during botched robbery
    18/08/2006 - 12:56:34

Gardaí in Co Dublin are searching for two men following a botched armed robbery attempt at a supermarket in Balbriggan early today.

The pair tried to break into the Dunnes Stores outlet in the Castlemill Shopping Centre at around 7.30am while staff were loading cash into an ATM.

One of the raiders discharged a shotgun at a glass door before the pair fled the scene empty-handed in a waiting BMW.

A female staff member suffered minor facial injuries during the incident and is being treated at Beaumont Hospital.

i didnt know about that (the underground canal)! wonder where is it fed from, from the canal? that whole gallen's mill complex is bl00dy crazy now

sirpsycho wrote:
    i didnt know about that (the underground canal)! wonder where is it fed from, from the canal? that whole gallen's mill complex is bl00dy crazy now

It wasn't so much of a canal as an underground manmade river. The water came from 'The Canal'. The water would be released my opening a gate at the canal the the water would power underground towards the mill.

The Canal was at the back of vaxuall street. what is now a park was once a large man made lake, know locally as 'the canal', or over 'the head'

http://www.balbriggan.net/canalnowandthen.htm

ah, yeah I remember seeing the pics of it when it was more like a lake. You meant that Gallens was fed from that time? That's what I thought when you first mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

When the "canal" was that big lake thing, was the "lake" man-made or did it occur naturally?

OFDM wrote:
    When the "canal" was that big lake thing, was the "lake" man-made or did it occur naturally?

Man made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Bluetonic wrote:
    It wasn't so much of a canal as an underground manmade river. The water came from 'The Canal'. The water would be released my opening a gate at the canal the the water would power underground towards the mill.

http://www.balbriggan.net/canalnowandthen.htm

The sluice gate was right at the junction of 'the head' and Clonard street, right between Molly Duffys cottage and Dr. Maguires Dental Surgery.

Mr. Peter Kelly of Clonard street used to be the Lock Keeper controling the flow to the mill.

This mill race ran through Burrowes front lawn, part of the old bridge/tunnel is still visible there and it ran through the Tanyard on its way to the mill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Love the second picture. :p

• Advertisement

They are good:)

I must go around the town with a camera some day or possibley after the last train home which can be fun.

Advertisement