Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Moonbeam wrote:
    They are good:)

I must go around the town with a camera some day or possibley after the last train home which can be fun.

You bump into some of those lads and you wont have the camera for long ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭paulie13

yeah, balbriggan's finest!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

How do those knacks afford to be down the beach drinking cans constantly? Must be good money in their line of work!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Love the second picture. :p
    They look like gay scobies!

How do those knacks afford to be down the beach drinking cans constantly? Must be good money in their line of work!;)
    Thievery???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

See that neighbours.ie site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any of you heading up to the Laytown Races next Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hill Billy wrote:
    Any of you heading up to the Laytown Races next Tuesday?

Was there via the wonder power of ATR via PaddyPower.com

Hope you were on McGuinness's two winners?

Handy Balbriggan map, seems fairly up to date. Zoom for more detail

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=balbriggan&state=&country=ireland&size=big

Bluetonic wrote:
    Handy Balbriggan map, seems fairly up to date. Zoom for more detail

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=balbriggan&state=&country=ireland&size=big
    Looks like MapQuest are using the Navteq data from the start of this year that has full coverage of Ireland.

Balbriggan train station robbed there earlier on today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we going to have to stick our thumbs out to stop the trains now?;)

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    Hope you were on McGuinness's two winners?
    I had Miracle Ridge in the 3:45 but went for Ruby on Kid Creole in the 4:45.
    All in all I had 3 winners & 4 places over 5 races. (Nothing appealed in the last.)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Bluetonic wrote:
    Balbriggan train station robbed there earlier on today.

didnt hear anything about it, is it true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

yip its true, thye only got about 1000e.

the safe had just been emptied by brinks. teh safe consisted of money from stations between balbriggan & drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

www.balbriggan.net/squaresept06.htm

The town doesnt look too bad in these pictures

They did a fine job with the new library building,it looks really nice.
    The cInema doesn't looks so bad either,really want it to hurry up and open!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Speaking of the new library building, anyone know when that is scheduled to open? I was up there a week or two ago, and they don't seem to have moved the books in yet.

Moonbeam wrote:
    They did a fine job with the new library building,it looks really nice.

Opening up this friday, Sep 15th.

aniascor wrote:
    Speaking of the new library building, anyone know when that is scheduled to open? I was up there a week or two ago, and they don't seem to have moved the books in yet.

Mid-Oct 06.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

sirpsycho wrote:
    Mid-Oct 06.

Thanks!

Anyone know when the cinema is due to open?

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote:
    sirpsycho wrote:
    Opening up this friday, Sep 15th.

Moonbeam wrote:
    Anyone know when the cinema is due to open?

There is an opening cermony this Friday the 15th, but it will not open to the public until the last week of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Hi all,

after a trawling through various messages for a while I decided to take the plunge and stick up a quick message.

I have only been in Balbriggan up by the garda station a mere 3 years so as a complete blowin the thread has been very useful if only to get some background on Balbriggan. I like the town and the road I am in is very quiet and very friendly (we know everyone in the street by name).

My wife, however, is quite worried by the estates going up round the back of us because of the lack of facilities and the pressure it will put on schools in the near future.

scouse1990 wrote:
    My wife, however, is quite worried by the estates going up round the back of us because of the lack of facilities and the pressure it will put on schools in the near future.

Off the top of my head there is funding already for a new post primary school to provide 1000 pupil places. This will be on the south-east of the town.

Edited to add
    As part of the Local Plan being prepared for South-East Balbriggan, a site is being reserved for a 16-class primary school. It is considered that this new school together with the existing schools at Pinewood and Balrothery and the other primary schools in Balbriggan Town, will provide for the needs of new residents of this Plan Area. The proposed target number of residential units within this Plan area would not justify reserving a site for a new school.

A site is being reserved in the Local Area Plan for South- East Balbriggan for a Post Primary school, adjacent to the existing industrial site occupied by‘Wavin’.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The sluice gate was right at the junction of 'the head' and Clonard street, right between Molly Duffys cottage and Dr. Maguires Dental Surgery.

Mr. Peter Kelly of Clonard street used to be the Lock Keeper controling the flow to the mill.

This mill race ran through Burrowes front lawn, part of the old bridge/tunnel is still visible there and it ran through the Tanyard on its way to the mill.

Thats right and i remember as a kid playing down by the top of water fall and to the right of it there is a small tunnel which runs from the bank beside the bottom of the water fall up to the bank beside the top of the water fall under the bridge that the canal walkway goes over, theres even steps inside it. Its all covered over with a big cement slab now.

Scobies are all over the place lately as are the MTV influenced scanger wannabe fiddy cents homeboys / girls / Eminem'ers. ARGH... my town has been overrun, plus ive had to move to the outskirts of legoland due to the house prices. moving in at Xmas or just after from up near the canal.

There is an educate together primary school beside dunnes in "legoland" which is currently prefabs,and plannging permission for the gael scoil has also been approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Ha, Legoland thats the perfect name for it.

The Educate Together seems to be pretty good, my sprog started there this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 naughton

Hey there, only place I could think of to ask this question is here, so here goes! I must be one of the more mature ladies that go to After Dark that Rockee refered to in a much earlier post (around page 5 or 6)!! Anyways, I have been there 2 or 3 times about two years ago and had a good laugh. Was thinking of bring a few friends (in their 30s) there some weekend seeing as they do play some retro stuff. Anyone have any idea which would be the best night for our agegroup!!! Smart comments more than welcome, once I get the facts!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Wasn't there talk of a Balbriggan Beers??

Did that ever happen?

• Advertisement

No. Unless they just didn't tell us folk south of Balrothery.

Maybe a case of me being Hill Billy-No-Mates?

Advertisement