Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

On the local court pages? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

You mean the "Entertainment Section" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Just adding to this....

Ulster Bank will be opening up in the town soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Is that to be on the inner relief road, by the proposed Gym / Swimming pool?

Is that to be on the inner relief road, by the proposed Gym / Swimming pool?

Nope it will be in Moriartys new shopping centre/extension to Super Valu on the Drogheda Road on the old site of Spicers.

It's safe to say now the Gym / Swimming pool isn't a proposal anymore, work has begun on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Bluetonic wrote:
    Just adding to this....

They dare to return?!?!!?!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Haha! Balbriggan was just mentioned on Waking the Dead on bbc. Mispronounced of course, and referred to as "a tiny village north of Dublin".

I lolled.

Meanwhile in more banking news, the BOI are also planning on moving from their current building to a new one which will be built next door behind the bus stop on a site which is currently the side garden of the BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Bluetonic wrote:
    Meanwhile in more banking news, the BOI are also planning on moving from their current building to a new one which will be built next door behind the bus stop on a site which is currently the side garden of the BOI.

this could explain the reasons behind the car park being closed for the last few weeks

In more banking news..........
    Bank of Ireland confirms kidnap of staff member and family; Suspects under arrest

Feb 1, 2007, 15:20

Bank of Ireland today confirmed that one of its employees and their family were the victims of a kidnap incident.

The incident is currently under investigation by An Garda Siochana and the Bank said that it will be making no further comment on the details involved.

The employee and family have been released unharmed. Bank of Ireland said that its priority is for the safety and well-being of the staff and family involved in this incident and all of the Bank’s support services have been made available to them.

RTE News reports that two people have been arrested after a family was held hostage overnight in Dublin during an apparent robbery attempt.

It is understood the Assistant Manager of Bank Of Ireland in Balbriggan along with his wife and two sons were held hostage at their home in Castlefarm in Swords.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0201/breaking59.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww that is really crappy.
    Hope they are all ok.

It really is a new low we are seeing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

liverbird wrote:
    The major concern at the moment should be trying to secure a hect or two of land to the south of the cemetary to allow for it's furter expansion and a safe place for car parking for those visiting their loved ones

I have to agreed with you bluetronic, that road is crazy around the cemetary and is v hazordous (SP) all the way to the M1 turn off.

speed freaks !

On another balbriggan gripe....
    I have moved to hamlet avenue , which is five mins from dunnes stores. has anyone noticed that they never stock the shelves. I went in looking for chicken, onions, cauliflower, scallions..........NONE !

Barr that though the people are much friendlier that the "inner dub" towns and I am enjoying my new town
    ahem, i work in dunnes, and does it ever occur to you that shops do sell food and therefore can sell out of certain items!! and if its fruit and veg, id like to know what day and roughly what time it is you would normally come in to do shopping!! frequently on weekends between 4 and 7 o'clock f+v stock runs out (well the main sellers) but we do get a delivery in at about 6 or 7!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Legend20 wrote:
    frequently on weekends between 4 and 7 o'clock f+v stock runs out (well the main sellers)

Surely if that happens "frequently" at weekends it would be something that management should have sorted at this stage. They could order in a bit extra of the big sellers to prevent people going elsewhere at that time of day over the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

Chinafoot wrote:
    Surely if that happens "frequently" at weekends it would be something that management should have sorted at this stage. They could order in a bit extra of the big sellers to prevent people going elsewhere at that time of day over the weekends.
    yes, there is a big order of f+v at weekends but its not up to the management when ot comes in really! the provider (Dennigans) has to go to a load more shops before ours so it all depends when that comes in!!

I see there's planning in for a large car show rooms up at the back on Sonopress.
    A new motor sales outlet & servicing centre along with valeting area to rear and associated staff & customer on-site car-parking and necessary siteworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

i heard this a while ago.
    I heard that it is a branch of Lusk Motors moving out.

March 07
    The following is the position in relation to the road network in Balbriggan:

1. Naul Road

(a) From Cemetery to Clonard Cross

Essential repairs have been carried out to the footpath in the area of Westbrook recently and the stretch of the Naul Road from the Cemetery to Clonard Cross was resurfaced last year.

A scheme for the upgrading of the Naul Road including new footpaths from the Cemetery to Clonard Cross, Balbriggan has been approved by the Council. The Scheme involves:

· The reconstruction of 1328m of the Naul Road westwards from the Inner Relief Road junction at the Cemetery

· The proposed carriageway is 7m wide for 382m west of the Inner Relief Road junction with extra width for right and left turning lanes. The remainder is a 10m wide single carriageway

· Provision of public lighting, surface water drainage and ducting for services will be provided as part of he scheme

In order to enable the above scheme to be constructed it is necessary for the following road improvement schemes to be undertaken first so that there are alternative routes for traffic travelling in this area of Balbriggan.

* Section of the C ring route which is the Balbriggan Outer Relief Road which will run from Whitehart Lane to the Naul Road. See No. 2 below

* Stephenstown Link Road which will run from the Naul Road to link in with the existing road in Stephenstown Industrial Estate. See No. 3 below.

(b) Clonard Cross to the M1 Motorway

In relation to the Naul Road from Clonard Cross to the M1 Motorway, Consultants are being appointed to progress this scheme to public consultation stage.

2 Section of the C ring route which is the Balbriggan Outer Relief Road which will run from Whitehart Lane to the Naul Road.

This improvement scheme was approved by the County Council at its meeting on 12th June, 2006. A detailed design for this scheme is now complete and tenders have been invited to enable works be undertaken as soon as possible in the current year. The sum of €1,500,000 is included in the Transportation 2007 Capital Programme for this work

3 Stephenstown Link Road which will run from the Naul Road to link in with the existing road in Stephenstown Industrial Estate.

This road will be constructed by developers as a condition of their planning permissions and it is expected that works on the construction of this stretch of road will commence in the current year.

4 Balbriggan Outer Relief Road - Naul Road to Flemington Lane

Consultants have been engaged by the Transportation Department to progress this route to statutory public consultation stage.

The sum of €2,000,000 is included in the Transportation Capital Programme for 2007 for the construction of the Balbriggan Outer Relief Road - Naul Road/Flemington Lane and Naul Road Upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Not going to make the graveyard any more peaceful, is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Any ideas when the shopping centre is due to start beside the graveyard? Seems like all we're getting lately is shops.:eek: Flipping credit card will be maxed in no time.:D

Shops, flats and empty housing estates ... Surely some town 'planner' would see the need for other amenities?

(P.s. haven't heard any firm dates for the Shopping Centre)

• Advertisement

Just what the town needs, more apartments.

Bravo.
    A residential development at Flemington lane (site identified within Sector 5 in north west Balbriggan Action Area Plan 2001 9NWBAAP). The development will comprise the demolition of existing habitable dwelling and the construction of 181 dwelling units consisting of 45 no. dwellings and 136 no. apartments comprising 8 no. 2 storey bedroom terraced dwellings in 2 blocks (house Type T1), 12 no. 2 storey b3 bedroom terraced dwellings in 3 blocks (house type T1a), 3 no. 2 storey 3 bedroom detached dwellings (house type T2), 2 no. 2.5 storey 4 bedroom semi detached dwellings (house type T3), 4 no. 2.5 storey 4 bedroom semi-detached dwellings (house type T3a), 3 no. 2 storey 3 bedroom terraced dwellings in 1 block (house type T4), 4 no. 2.5 storey 4 bedroom terraced dwellings in 1 block (house type T5), 3 no. 2.5 storey 4 bedroom dwellings in 1 block (house type T6), 2 no. 3 storey 4 bedroom semi detached dwellings (house type T7), 4 no. 3 storey 4 bedroom semi-detached dwellings (house type T7a), 20 no. 2 bedroom ground floor, 15 no. 2 bedroom first floor and 5 no. 3 bedroom first floor;/second floor own hall door apartments, in 5 no. 2/2.5 storey blocks (house type D1), 20 no. 2 bedroom ground floor, 15 no. 2 bedroom first floor and 5 no. 3 bedroom first floor/second floor own hall door apartments, in 5 no. 2/2.5 storey blocks (house type D1a), 12 no. 2 bedroom ground floor and 12 no. 2 bedroom first floor own hall door apartments, in 3 no. 2 storey blocks (house type D2), 6 no. 2 bedroom ground floor, 3 no. 2 bedroom first floor and 3 no. 3 bedroom first floor/second floor own hall door apartments, in 3 no. 2/2.5 storey blocks (house type D3), 6 no. 2 bedroom ground floor, 3 no. 2 bedroom first floor and 3 no. 3 bedroom first floor/second floor own hall door apartments, in 3 no. 2/2.5 storey blocks (house type D3a), 4 no. 2 bedroom ground floor and 4 no. 2 bedroom first floor own hall door apartments, in 2 no. 2 storey blocks (house type D4) and all associated site development works including relocation of 38Kv ESB power line, outfall foul and surface water sewers, landscaping, boundary treatments, bicycle stands, open space and carparking with vehicular and pedestrian access for this development from Flemington Lane located to the north of the subject site and from proposed boulevard/roadway (which will be constructed as part of the overall NWBAAP) located to the east of the subject site, all on site of circa 4.688 Ha/11.584 Ac. On lands bounded to the north by part Flemington Lane and part 'one-off' housing, to the south and west by the Naul Road and proposed public park and by the proposed boulevard to the east

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

wow

I presume that is where the road down to the motorway towards Naul is?

Please let them fix the water first...

Moonbeam wrote:
    wow

No it's off Flemington Lane to the north of the town.

Moonbeam wrote:
    wow

If you go north through the town past Cardy Rock, Flemington Lane is the first left. (after O'Dwyers current location ... Which I presume will also be turned into Apartments / Townhouses at some stage).

They can't even shift the flats at the All-new moriarty towers (Supervalu), why would someone possibly build more?

Ah ok,

Up by Dun Saithne.

I think the town planners are gone mad,the stupid housing estate at the end of my road is still empty,I do bet this is to do with water though.
    Though it is nice to see the town getting facilities.
    Another thing I noticed is the amount of schools for a small town,there are loads of them.Prob all full but there seems to bea lot more then average.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have to say when I was living out in Balbriggan the one thing that annoyed me most was Tesco's almost complete lack of fruit and veg and their closing at 7pm in the evening when everyone was just getting back from work. Do they still do this?

I think the Balbriggan Tescos annoys everyone.
    Unfriendly staff,not always a clean shop,the terrible smell in the trolley ramp area.
    The fact it isn't open after people get home from work.
    I like doing my shopping in Tescos and really hope they open a decent 24 hour one soon,actually I would settle for just a decent one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rooshter

That Tesco is an absolute kip (in fact the whole building is an eyesore and should either be done up or ripped down). I've honestly seen mouldy green bread on the shelves there, which in my estimation means it must have been there for at least a week? Not exactly "today's bread today"!

Mind you, the fruit and veggies problem is the same for all the shops - Dunnes and Supervalu. Trying to buy something fresh or at least with more than one day to go sell by date can be difficult. You always have to check the date on anthing you pick up. It's a joke that they advertise fresh, quality produce. I've often seen plastic packed fish out of date by a few days in Supervalu. Said to myself I'd write a letter of complaint at the time, of course I never got around to it :rolleyes:

Yeah - the shops aren't the best ... I haven't been in Tescos really for ages, since it was Quinnsworth. The centre is a bit of a dive, and I think they're deliberately running it down so it can be renovated (i.e. ripped out and replaced with more ... yes, Flats!) and they can build a big Clare Hall type one outside the town - although I wouldn't much fancy that either.

Dunnes just does my head in. You go in for the simplest of things honestly hoping that they might just have it. Some days you're lucky, more often though you're not. Pot Luck.

SuperValu. Don't know what I can say about it, it's not the worst supermarket in the town (but looking at the competition it wouldn't be hard). Still, competitive prices would be nice, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

Legend20 Quote:
    Originally Posted by liverbird
    The major concern at the moment should be trying to secure a hect or two of land to the south of the cemetary to allow for it's furter expansion and a safe place for car parking for those visiting their loved ones

I have to agreed with you bluetronic, that road is crazy around the cemetary and is v hazordous (SP) all the way to the M1 turn off.

speed freaks !

On another balbriggan gripe....
    I have moved to hamlet avenue , which is five mins from dunnes stores. has anyone noticed that they never stock the shelves. I went in looking for chicken, onions, cauliflower, scallions..........NONE !

Barr that though the people are much friendlier that the "inner dub" towns and I am enjoying my new town

ahem, i work in dunnes, and does it ever occur to you that shops do sell food and therefore can sell out of certain items!! and if its fruit and veg, id like to know what day and roughly what time it is you would normally come in to do shopping!! frequently on weekends between 4 and 7 o'clock f+v stock runs out (well the main sellers) but we do get a delivery in at about 6 or 7!!

Legend 20 , I used to shop in Dunnes daily when i first moved out but got sick of having to then drive to Supervalu for the other items that Dunnes had ran out of , It of course OCCURED to me that DUNNES as a shop can run out of food but FFS every day is the same up there. FYI the times were daily around 7 after work. I tried to complain to a supervisor that was on but to be honext she was about 18 with no proper training "covering" for the other supervisor because she was on a break. The staff work very hard up there and do have to deal with a lot of complaint , i have no grip with anyone working in the retail trade its the company itself

You cannot even send in a complaint to Dunnes Stores as there is no e-mail address , I actually applied for a job in Dunnes and instead of a CV attached a complaint. I got a reply very promptly 2 days later

That they were processing my application for a Security Guard and would be in touch in due course, great HR dept there too obviously.

Since i replied , its not only fruit and veg , its meat and poultry , its all well and good that Dunnes do special offers on the meat but why is it only on produce thats due to go out of date either that day or the next.

For me its SuperValu all the way in BAlbriggan, at least until Superquinn is built!

Advertisement