Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Anybody know why the Garda station in Balbriggan is so big?

The main reason is that Balbriggan Garda Station is the district headquarters (North County Dublin/Fingal) and is open to the public 24 hours each day. It serves as the main stations for Rush, Lusk, Skerries (which only have 'office' opening stations) and all the associated townlands.

The old Garda Station was a tiny building. It's the building which stands to the left of the BOI as you look at it.

testicle wrote:
    Wouldn't you?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Anybody know why the Garda station in Balbriggan is so big?

Its also very decieving as balbriggan is the 4th worse policed town in Ireland at 1 Guard for every 674 people......

Sorry if I seem to be putting a bad light on baile brigin, just thought Id note this issue, all in all its a great town and I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.....

Its also very decieving as balbriggan is the 4th worse policed town in Ireland at 1 Guard for every 674 people......

Sorry if I seem to be putting a bad light on baile brigin, just thought Id note this issue, all in all its a great town and I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.....

There is one less Garda in the town compared to 10 years ago, yet the population has (give or take a few) doubled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Fair play Bluetonic, your doing Balbriggan proud!!! If only people knew at the weekends........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

and yet they still feel the need to send 5 of them up to a house party when there is a noise complaint :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does everyone have problems with their water pressure or is ti jsut the new houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

No problems in Fancourt Heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

No bother in bath road either

To add further to this thread about the town; a planning application is soon to be handed in for retail development on 10 Hects of land bordered by Clonard Hill, The Glen and the cemetary for a shopping centre comprising of 50 retail units, with 3 anchor tenants. One highstreet grocery (Tesco), one budget grocery, and one hardware. Will be over 3 stories with a multistory for cars.

Personally I hope the application is thrown out. No need for 50 retail units with Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Swords, and Town so close by.

The major concern at the moment should be trying to secure a hect or two of land to the south of the cemetary to allow for it's furter expansion and a safe place for car parking for those visiting their loved ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

The major concern at the moment should be trying to secure a hect or two of land to the south of the cemetary to allow for it's furter expansion and a safe place for car parking for those visiting their loved ones

I have to agreed with you bluetronic, that road is crazy around the cemetary and is v hazordous (SP) all the way to the M1 turn off.

speed freaks !

On another balbriggan gripe....
    I have moved to hamlet avenue , which is five mins from dunnes stores. has anyone noticed that they never stock the shelves. I went in looking for chicken, onions, cauliflower, scallions..........NONE !

Barr that though the people are much friendlier that the "inner dub" towns and I am enjoying my new town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

liverbird wrote:
    On another balbriggan gripe....
    I have moved to hamlet avenue , which is five mins from dunnes stores. has anyone noticed that they never stock the shelves. I went in looking for chicken, onions, cauliflower, scallions..........NONE !

Barr that though the people are much friendlier that the "inner dub" towns and I am enjoying my new town

SO TRUE! Went over there last night for some spuds for me steak and all they had was new potatoes! And only 3 bags of them!

I'm living in Moylaragh...I see a bus eireann commuter heading up and down to the shopping centre quite a bit....does anyone know what's it's purpose??

flanzer wrote:
    I'm living in Moylaragh...I see a bus eireann commuter heading up and down to the shopping centre quite a bit....does anyone know what's it's purpose??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054857006

To add thread linked: I believe the original route has been changed to Train Station -> Drogheda Street -> Hamlet Lane -> All Those mad new houses/lego land/Dunnes -> Harry Reynolds Road -> Dublin Street -> Bridge Street -> Train Station

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am in Martello Towers.
    Dunnes sucks but I suppose at least it is there and it is better and cheaper then jsut having a spar.
    Going to Tescos is like going back in time and is the car park across the road from it the only car park it has?
    Drove to Drogheda over the holidays was impressed,also impressed with the 2 garages on the way with their 99.9c litre petrol:)

Moonbeam wrote:
    Going to Tescos is like going back in time and is the car park across the road from it the only car park it has?

The car park across the road in one of the town parks is a public car park and not a Tesco car park. Tesco has a roof top car park, accessable via High Street for around 80 cars. As mentioned above Tesco will be moving to a new site in the next few years and the current Tesco building (BSC as it was known back in the day) will be raised to the ground and redeveloped. You can't blame Tesco really to be honest, they only rent space and don't own the building.

Cool I hadn't managed to see or find that car park in Tescos:) I tohught it was weird if the public car park there was the only one for tescos though:)

Moonbeam wrote:
    Cool I hadn't managed to see or find that car park in Tescos:) I tohught it was weird if the public car park there was the only one for tescos though:)

The problem with parking is exaggerated as well at the moment with the bigger of the two car parks closed due to the sewage works going on.

Hopefully when that reopens parking in general will be a lot better in both car parks and the Tesco High Street car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Moonbeam wrote:
    I am in Martello Towers.
    Dunnes sucks but I suppose at least it is there and it is better and cheaper then jsut having a spar.
    Drove to Drogheda over the holidays was impressed,also impressed with the 2 garages on the way with their 99.9c litre petrol:)
    Lidl is your friend. Anyone know where this new Aldi is going to be?

OFDM wrote:
    Lidl is your friend. Anyone know where this new Aldi is going to be?

Here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50642800&postcount=41

They've put up a sign on the Harry Reynolds road saying Aldi coming soon... however they've only applied for planning permission last week. Horse before the kart etc..,

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

No bother in bath road either

yeah, no bother with bath road or ashfield.

• Advertisement

Just noticed in the last couple of days, that they've burst into the unoccupied area, across the road from main entrance to the graveyard! Does anyone know what's going in there? More houses maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

flanzer wrote:
    Just noticed in the last couple of days, that they've burst into the unoccupied area, across the road from main entrance to the graveyard! Does anyone know what's going in there? More houses maybe?

I saw an ALDI sign...

that was suppose to be for shops etc so could be Aldi although didnt someone already say there is no planning for an Aldi yet?

Is Aldi not going between the graveyard and those new Fingal Bay offices? Where the sign for 'Aldi is coming' is?

flanzer wrote:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50642800&postcount=41

There is no planning for it at all yet. It's the typical ALDI approach: spread the word that ALDI is coming before you have planning permission, in that way if it refused then you'll most likely have the backing of the expectant people.

I have no problem with Aldi coming up there, the more retail competition in the town the better.

There's also a planning application for an outer "inner relief road" from behind the Rockwell fish factory across Clonard Hill, then through the field that Aldi and other retail units will presumably be in and finally joining up with the Road of Death™ (Naul road).

OFDM wrote:
    There's also a planning application for an outer "inner relief road" from behind the Rockwell fish factory across Clonard Hill, then through the field that Aldi and other retail units will presumably be in and finally joining up with the Road of Death™ (Naul road).

The plan is when that road is opened then the Naul Road will be closed, realigned and hardshoulders put in circa late early 2008 I believe.

This is what they are aiming for with the new road. Most of it isn't built yet, you can work out whats - the roundabout to the far right is the church/Dublin Road roundabout.

http://www.fingalbay.ie/fingalbay/imgs/fullsite.jpg

I wish they would put some sort of temp road surface on the naul road, it's so dangerous the way it is at the moment.

Thanx for the fingal bay plans, it's a very ambitious project!

sirpsycho wrote:
    I wish they would put some sort of temp road surface on the naul road, it's so dangerous the way it is at the moment.
    They spent 6 months doing a mickey mouse job on the section between Sweetman's cross the M1 and was banjacksed again within 6 weeks.

That entire road needs widening and complete relaying of fresh tarmac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

OFDM wrote:
    That entire road needs widening and complete relaying of fresh tarmac.

yeah, but they wont do that as the new road at the roundabout at the church to link to the motorway will take the traffic away from the naul road

Advertisement