Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dub_and_proud

thanks is there any buses or darts from town that would leave you close to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You can get a bus or a train to Balbriggan & it is probably the guts of a 2 mile walk then to to market.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You can get a bus or a train to Balbriggan & it is probably the guts of a 2 mile walk then to to market.
    ok thanks a million;) what time is it open on sunday

ok thanks a million;) what time is it open on sunday

I think from around 10 o'clock.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I think from around 10 o'clock.
    ok thanks a million for the quick replys;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

dub_and_proud - personally if you are walking I wouldn't waste the 2 mile or so worth of footsteps. Its crap - a total washout. Unless you are looking to buy pirate (and VERY crap quality ) DVD's or washing powder, and the washing powder can be bought equally as cheap in Supervalu! the so called 'market' is an embarrassment IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

dub_and_proud - personally if you are walking I wouldn't waste the 2 mile or so worth of footsteps. Its crap - a total washout. Unless you are looking to buy pirate (and VERY crap quality ) DVD's or washing powder, and the washing powder can be bought equally as cheap in Supervalu! the so called 'market' is an embarrassment IMO
    Thats about right

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

For a lot of locals that market is a pain in the behind and has been involved in a TON of garda and customs seizures and crackdowns for piracy AND dealing in stolen goods. Saying that, there are legitimate traders, but the criminals are getting their hands on your cash out there too. I would personally avoid it until it is totally cleaned up.

Needless to say, the last mile of the road out to it is without a footpath and very treacherous as it is a narrow secondary road. Its also the main route from north balbriggan to the motorway so for your own sake be very careful if you decide to walk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Claudius64

Lillylilly wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thinking of moving to Balbriggan within the next few months and found all of your opinions very valuble- but swiftly realised that the thread is years old (I'm not an experienced user!).

I'm wondering has much changed regarding the facilities (the proposed swimming pool, Aldi, Tesco etc.)??

We're looking at a house in Bremore Pastures- are there any concerns we should have? We have a viewing soon, but I'd love a head's up... are the walls typical of new developments (paper thin), how's the water pressure??

Also, I don't drive... is this going to be a huge barrier? How is the public transport? I know about the www.Balbriggan.net website, but there's nothing like getting the info off the locals :)

Thanks,

L.
    Hi lily,
    We made the mistake of moving to balbriggan last July,bought a house in Newhaven bay.
    Firstly the area you are moving into:
    Has the smallest dunnes Stores in ireland.

Has undrinkable tap-water which means buying bottled water all the time.

Despite the distance to the train station it has an infrequent and unreliable bus service that does not run after 7 in the evening, this service has no known timetable, there are no bus-stops, and more importantly when it is raining or snowing, no bus shelter.

Most of the estates in the area are unfinished despited the building having been completed years ago and Fingal County Council will not take them over.

The train service is a joke with at least one train a day cancelled, most running late, and most peak services have no seats left by the time they get to Balbriggan. in any event it is impossible to get parking there and you cannot depend on the bus as it may or may not come.

The local shopping centre beside Bremore Pastures in a hang out for teen drinkers, who need not fear the Gardai because they never come that way.

There is a Lidl, no Aldi, There is a cinema, no swimming pool, there is a tesco but like dunnes it is a joke.

Balbriggan is very expensive due to lack of cometition with petrol on average 3c a litre dearer than the station beside where I work in town. itried to hire a rotovator for sat-Mon to do the garden ,was quoted €100 euro in Balbriggans only hire centre, got it in Drogheda for €45.

all in all my advice is , steer clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Claudius64 wrote: »
    The train service is a joke with at least one train a day cancelled
    You are a liar, I know for a fact that is not true.

The rest of your tale is laughable, I'd say you've more issues with the fact that you bought in July 2008 than anything else.

Cheer up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Claudius64 wrote: »
    Hi lily,
    We made the mistake of moving to balbriggan last July,bought a house in Newhaven bay.
    Firstly the area you are moving into:
    Has the smallest dunnes Stores in ireland.

Has undrinkable tap-water which means buying bottled water all the time.

Despite the distance to the train station it has an infrequent and unreliable bus service that does not run after 7 in the evening, this service has no known timetable, there are no bus-stops, and more importantly when it is raining or snowing, no bus shelter.

Most of the estates in the area are unfinished despited the building having been completed years ago and Fingal County Council will not take them over.

The train service is a joke with at least one train a day cancelled, most running late, and most peak services have no seats left by the time they get to Balbriggan. in any event it is impossible to get parking there and you cannot depend on the bus as it may or may not come.

The local shopping centre beside Bremore Pastures in a hang out for teen drinkers, who need not fear the Gardai because they never come that way.

There is a Lidl, no Aldi, There is a cinema, no swimming pool, there is a tesco but like dunnes it is a joke.

Balbriggan is very expensive due to lack of cometition with petrol on average 3c a litre dearer than the station beside where I work in town. itried to hire a rotovator for sat-Mon to do the garden ,was quoted €100 euro in Balbriggans only hire centre, got it in Drogheda for €45.

all in all my advice is , steer clear.

In reply to this as I think a lot of points are unfair.I am only living here 2 years but it surprises me to hear so many people giving out about Balbriggan all the time. Do people not review areas properly before moving to them and taking out substantial mortgages on same?

As for the last posters comments about balbriggan in general, it makes me angry to hear the area being slated so much- all of the things(bar the water issue?) that annoy claudius64 are issues that would never have arose if poster found out about the area before moving in! It doesnt take a genius to figure out the distance from new haven to train station,or that dunnes is small,theres no bus shelters,and its quite obvious to anyone with eyes that a lot of the estates are unfinished so why bother moving here if these issues bother you so much?

New Haven Bay is probably the nicest and best kept of all the new housing estate in my opinion.
    Dunnes is small but it still stocks nearly everything thats needed but if not super valu is a ten minute walk away and is great shop.

The water is not un-drinkable. It is very hard water and has a strong smell of chlorine from it but I drink it daily and have had no problems.
    I've had the council out doing tests on this water on behalf of residents and all tests came back clear.

Teenagers hanging around the shops can be a bit of a problem but they arent causing trouble and it wouldnt bother me at all unless I lived in one of the apartments at Castlemill and had to listen to them every night from my window. There are a lot of new community guards who are working very hard in the area and are finally starting to get somewhere with the teenagers and seem to be getting through to them.

Also to my knowledge,there will be an Aldi as planning permission was granted, though I think they have to pay large sum of money to go ahead?
    Swimming pool also scheduled to be built near rugby club in near future.

The petrol is 103.2 in two of the garages definitely. Same as in artane where I work. Prob cheaper in Apple Garage though. One garage in balbriggan has always been more expensive than the other two but I notice it has recently matched all other garages prices.

Rant Over :eek:

Bluetonic wrote: »
    You are a liar
    Bluetonic - Attack the post & not the poster. HB

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

To begin with...
    Here is the time table for the local bus - http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202228402-Balbriggan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

I really dont understand why people in balbriggan complain about public transport. I have always found the train reliable, and when late, at most 5-10 minutes. And that doesn't happen often. In and out Monday-Friday, I cant remember when I was last substantially late. The Sunday service could be improved but if that is the only problem you have, you are doing ok. The commuter rush-hour services for what has become a commuter town are approx every 15 minutes, and having waited regularly for dublin buses for over 45 minutes, only to make limited progress through traffic, i find it hard to see what to complain about there. For those who don't like the train for whatever reason, I have always found the 101 bus service reliable. Not really a goer for commuting monday to friday but each to their own.

Same with the bus service to the train station - it wasn't there when I moved to Balbriggan, and again, if walking the 15-20 minutes is a factor, and you dont have a bike then how you get to and from the station should be taken into consideration before buying here. If you do drive, and you dont like parking in the car parks beside tesco (same price as parking at the station) or some other free parking around the town then again you are easily aggrevated. At rush hour, I find driving from the train station can take maybe 5-10 minutes off the walk home. I'm in one of the "lego-land" estates.

I know the original questioned asked about the swimming pool but I dont see the fascination. It has come up occasionally on this board regarding Balbriggan's woeful lack of facilities. Surely its a nice to have rather than a necessity. If a swimming pool is important to you, don't buy in Balbriggan yet, maybe buy in a location where there is easy access to a swimming pool. It may come in the future but I am capable of living my life at the moment without feeling that I am missing out.

Also in response to Claudius64, since moving from city centre, I have found most things a fraction cheaper in Balbriggan.

Obviously the place isnt perfect, but it doesnt take an unearthly amount of research to ensure are not affected by the problems that claudius64 has mentioned. I find a water filter does wonders for the tap water. Yes, you do need to use calgon etc with the hard water but its hardly an insurmountable issue.

Ah well. There you go. Balbriggan. Its alright.

Also, I'm not really sure why Bluetonic was warned. I'm not sure why when someone is lying, that you cant call them a liar, but then again, moderators do know best, I suppose.

Morgans wrote: »
    Also, I'm not really sure why Bluetonic was warned. I'm not sure why when someone is lying, that you cant call them a liar, but then again, moderators do know best, I suppose.

If you want to take issue with the moderation of this thread - PM me. HB

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Claudius64-

Why did you move to Balbriggan?
    I moved here in 2005 and a few thing have changed for better and for worse.

Dunnes is ok,much better and cheaper then a local spar.
    Tesco is terrible,personally I thoguht it was a bit dirty and the staff were not helpful or nice.
    Super Valu is ok and Lidl is probably the best.

The water pressure is terrible,the coucil switch off the pumps at night to allow the supply to build up again.
    I use the tap water for tea and that is all,if I ever make the babys forula wih it,it makes her sick but it doesn't in her grandparents houses.

About the estates being unfinished,is this the management company issue?It is a disaster!!!

Yes the trains are packed suring rush hour,but umm what do you expect seriously?
    I have commuted on the Maynooth line and on the Dart in the past and in the morning they are all packed.
    I have no experience with cancelled trains in my nearly 5 years commuting,though I have been on a train that went on fire,and behing the train that derailed and stranded in Rush/Lusk for ages as a result.
    Stuff happens though and as long as there are actual good reasons,it doesn't bother be too much.

Castle Mill does have alot of kids hanging arounf there at night,but there is not alot for them to do in Balbriggan.So although not an excuse it is a factor.

There has been talks aout Aldi for years ,there is also a leisure centre planned.Not sure if it will ever happen though.

I think 4 petrol station is alot for a town like Balbriggan so I will disagree with you there.I also found the cheapest petrol between here and Limerick here for ages.

Are you involved in the community?Have you done anyhting to make Balbriggan a better place for you to live?

The commuter rush-hour services for what has become a commuter town are approx every 15 minutes,

You are taking the piss completely right?
    or are you counting the buses and the train?

firstly to the poster who refered to me as a liar, you are sad, get a life.
    secondly to those who say I should have checked the area out and I am just annoyed because i bought at the wrong time:
    I am not annoyed at the price I paid, i got a good deal on the house I own, I am not in negative equity, so no problem there.
    also I agree Newhaven Bay is a lovely estate.
    However, I did "Check out" the area first, unfortunatley I thought the fictional timetable on the Bus Eireann website was real, how stupid was that!
    I forgot to actually drink some Balbriggan water, how dumb was that!!!( Having lived in both Dublin and Drogheda before I didnt realise that some towns have undrinkable water!
    Thirdly, check out how much it costs to hire a rotovator, or any other piece of equipment at Harry hire (Balbriggan), then compare their prices to Ace Hire or Drogheda Hire.
    Petrol in Balbriggan 103.9cent per litre, petrol in Kimmage 99c per litre as of last Friday, petrol on the quays in dublin 99.9 cent a litre as of same date.
    As for Dunnes/Tesco I was responding to the questions the poster asked.
    as for the swimming pool, it's "planned", foir when? 2099?
    My comments regarding the train service are factual.
    My comments regarding unfinished housing estates (including Newhaven Bay) are factual, and no thats not a management company fault, it is because Fingal Co.Co refuse to either pursue the developers or seel forfiture of the developers bond.
    When we moved to Balbriggan we owned one car, I was late so often because of CANCELLED trains (always as a result of "operational" problems in Drogheda) that in the end we just bought a second car and now I commute.

so to those who cowardly call me a liar all I can say is that Balbriggan is the last place on earth that i would encourage anyone to move to at the moment and......
    THE TRUTH HURTS!

Your post made me LOL:)

You sound so so bitter,even worse then me;)

I moved here because there was a train,it was not very rough and well I could afford a house.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    You are a liar, I know for a fact that is not true.

The rest of your tale is laughable, I'd say you've more issues with the fact that you bought in July 2008 than anything else.

Cheer up.
    Your response to a serious issue is as pitiable as you yourself.
    I challenge you to state which parts of what I posted are lies.

Aww,play nice:)
    I would agree with Bluetonic that from my experience it is not true.
    I get the 8:12 train in the morning and the 18:40 train home.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Your post made me LOL:)

You sound so so bitter,even worse then me;)

I moved here because there was a train,it was not very rough and well I could afford a house.
    If we dont complain it is said we are apathetic and responsible for the bad services, high prices etc
    if we do complain we are bitter, and thats from the moderator!
    we lose either way.

True.
    Are you doing anything about the issues or just complaining.
    I think that is the key.

To add to your Balbriggan rant,you forgot the parking and driving skills of some of its residents.

I really dont understand why people in balbriggan complain about public transport. I have always found the train reliable, and when late, at most 5-10 minutes. And that doesn't happen often. In and out Monday-Friday, I cant remember when I was last substantially late. The Sunday service could be improved but if that is the only problem you have, you are doing ok. The commuter rush-hour services for what has become a commuter town are approx every 15 minutes, and having waited regularly for dublin buses for over 45 minutes, only to make limited progress through traffic, i find it hard to see what to complain about there. For those who don't like the train for whatever reason, I have always found the 101 bus service reliable. Not really a goer for commuting monday to friday but each to their own.

Same with the bus service to the train station - it wasn't there when I moved to Balbriggan, and again, if walking the 15-20 minutes is a factor, and you dont have a bike then how you get to and from the station should be taken into consideration before buying here. If you do drive, and you dont like parking in the car parks beside tesco (same price as parking at the station) or some other free parking around the town then again you are easily aggrevated. At rush hour, I find driving from the train station can take maybe 5-10 minutes off the walk home. I'm in one of the "lego-land" estates.

I know the original questioned asked about the swimming pool but I dont see the fascination. It has come up occasionally on this board regarding Balbriggan's woeful lack of facilities. Surely its a nice to have rather than a necessity. If a swimming pool is important to you, don't buy in Balbriggan yet, maybe buy in a location where there is easy access to a swimming pool. It may come in the future but I am capable of living my life at the moment without feeling that I am missing out.

Also in response to Claudius64, since moving from city centre, I have found most things a fraction cheaper in Balbriggan.

Obviously the place isnt perfect, but it doesnt take an unearthly amount of research to ensure are not affected by the problems that claudius64 has mentioned. I find a water filter does wonders for the tap water. Yes, you do need to use calgon etc with the hard water but its hardly an insurmountable issue.

Ah well. There you go. Balbriggan. Its alright.

So let me get right,
    You accept that in order to make the water drinkable we need to use water filters.
    In your own words you describe Balbriggan as having woeful facililities.
    You believe the train service is less than adequate
    you decline to deal with issues of the lack of bus shelters in lego land, a necessity for kids in winter.
    You decline to discuss the issues around unfinished estates.
    But you think I am a liar for complaining???????
    Sorry but what planet are you from?

True.
    Are you doing anything about the issues or just complaining.
    I think that is the key.

To add to your Balbriggan rant,you forgot the parking and driving skills of some of its residents.
    Moonbeam, I genuinely am trying to do something.
    I have tried contacting bus eireann, local politicians, town councillors etc
    I am trying to raise awareness, see if there are others out there who feel we could do better in Balbriggan, thats why I signed up to Boards.ie and posted here.
    I am not looking to P people off but if people want to bury their heads in the sand and call me names for raising issues, legitimate issues whats the point!

That is good:)

Have you heard of neighbours.ie,you can see if your housing estate is there if not you can register it.

Are people neighbourly in Newhaven?

That is good:)

Have you heard of neighbours.ie,you can see if your housing estate is there if not you can register it.

Are people neighbourly in Newhaven?
    I had not heard of neighbours.ie and i will try that also.
    I find the people in newhaven to be genuine, helpful and generally nice people.
    and I would say again I have no probs with the people in Balbriggan per se, i have a problem with the problems in Balbriggan ,and yes I am willing to put my time and effort where my keyboard is (lol) and join any local inititive to better the quality of life in Balbriggan.
    off to bed. goodnight

Good night:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

You are taking the piss completely right?
    or are you counting the buses and the train?

Well, commuting in the morning to town. There is a train at appox 6.45, 7, 7.15. 7.30, 7.50?, 8.15? (i dont get those later ones) all to get commuters to town for office hours.

Coming home - there are trains at approx 4.15, 4.40?, 4.50, 5.07 (connolly) 5.15 ish, 5.30 ish 5.45 ish. 6.15

Again, not sure how I am taking the piss. And as you say that doesnt include buses.

I do think Claudius64 has a point about council taking control of the estates and drinking water but unfortunately its a factor in all areas because of the way things have developed in Ireland (which doesnt make it right) and its a question of dealing with it. If it is a critical factor for someone looking to move, then pick and choose the estate. It is the same Fingal Co.Co throughout all of north dublin unfortunately.

I think saying that there is a train cancelled each day is a ridiculous statement (an exagerration I would call it) and in no way reflects my experience as a commuter and my friends who dont travel during rush-hour.

Advertisement