Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

Sorry, I'd just like to say that i know how much of a pain it is waiting for trains and maybe those at commuter times could be spaced out slightly more evenly, but from experience getting the train from city centre is quicker than driving. All in all, I think its a good service. Sundays need improvement without doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Claudius64 wrote: »
    Your response to a serious issue is as pitiable as you yourself.
    I challenge you to state which parts of what I posted are lies.
    Lets just focus with your glorious fact that at least one train a day is cancelled, thats a blatant lie, it's an untruth, it makes you a liar and gives the rest of your fable a lack of credibility.

Others have already discredited your other lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Claudius64 – You are new here so I’ll give you a break this time. If you have a problem with a post – hit the report post button & a moderator will deal with it.HB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

You also stated there is no Lidl :D

Em, maybe you havent made it to the south eastern part of the town yet?

Ive lived in Balbriggan all my life, I love my town, you are hurtful AND insulting in your manner of speech, its understandable to have gripes but some of the comments about the town are blatantly unfair.

Yes we could do with an improved Bus Eireann service - is that balbriggans fault? No, its bus eireanns fault and then its the people of balbriggans fault for not complaining every time a bus is late.

what you said about trains i found quite untrue also. ten years commuting by rail to city centre and i can count in single figures the times a train has been cancelled. Also the train times posted above are correct, I have rarely been late getting to work. Yes you sometimes have to stand, but thats a problem nationwide with rail services, large population centres are under serviced by national transport all over the country, grin and bare it or move further out of the city. If you lived in Drogheda you probably had the luxury of getting a seat as you were further away.

You CAN drink the water straight from the tap, something you STILL cant do in Galway. yes its hard but if its not to your taste then use a filter jug.

Right, I've just about had enough of this bickering. There are too many of you to single you out so I've slapped a two-week ban on every poster of the odd-numbered posts from #531 to #635. HB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Right, I've just about had enough of this bickering. There are too many of you to single you out so I've slapped a two-week ban on every poster of the odd-numbered posts from #531 to #635. HB
    love it,:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Claudius64 wrote:
    There is a Lidl, no Aldi, There is a cinema, no swimming pool, there is a tesco but like dunnes it is a joke.

just as a FYI there is a Lidl, and there is a cinema.

Have also heard just last weekend from May McKeown that the swimming pool have def been given the green light (for the Rugby Club) and it will be out towards the Balrothery end of the town.

As said before Balbriggan isn't perfect and in my experience the bus and rail timetables could be better - but that is an issue with the transport authorities. I used to get the Maynooth train into Dublin for years - I got on in Drumcondra - it was pants. Literally stuffed to the gills. No different to most major train routes - remember you are on the Belfast/Dundalk - Dundalk line, so it is bound to be busy. I would like to see a more substantial dublin bus route than the 33 which is a joke - to get to Swords takes the guts of an hour, and other than the 101 there is no alternative. Better links between the surrounding towns would be nice. But bearing in mind on the train from here to Dublin its about 1 hr all in, when I lived close to city centre adn got the bus, even with being so central if traffic was bad (as always) a 15 min journey would take 45mins-1 hour. So that is just Irish public transport for ya.

And apparently although it may not be to everyones taste, hard water is supposed to be better for you (truth or lies, I'm not sure).

just my 2 cents

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

is 635 an odd number?

im not attacking the guy, he is right to air his feelings, just dont think its as bad as all that!

I cna only guess at an april fools joke. Moderator has humour shocker! :D

Morphéus wrote: »
    is 635 an odd number?

im not attacking the guy, he is right to air his feelings, just dont think its as bad as all that!

Morphéus - If you have a problem with the moderation of this thread, read the the charter & then PM me if you have any questions. HB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Morgans wrote: »
    Well, commuting in the morning to town. There is a train at appox 6.45, 7, 7.15. 7.30, 7.50?, 8.15? (i dont get those later ones) all to get commuters to town for office hours.

Coming home - there are trains at approx 4.15, 4.40?, 4.50, 5.07 (connolly) 5.15 ish, 5.30 ish 5.45 ish. 6.15

Again, not sure how I am taking the piss. And as you say that doesnt include buses.

I do think Claudius64 has a point about council taking control of the estates and drinking water but unfortunately its a factor in all areas because of the way things have developed in Ireland (which doesnt make it right) and its a question of dealing with it. If it is a critical factor for someone looking to move, then pick and choose the estate. It is the same Fingal Co.Co throughout all of north dublin unfortunately.

I think saying that there is a train cancelled each day is a ridiculous statement (an exagerration I would call it) and in no way reflects my experience as a commuter and my friends who dont travel during rush-hour.

So they are not every 15 minutes as you originally stated?;)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    So they are not every 15 minutes as you originally stated?;)

That isn't what I originally stated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

"The commuter rush-hour services for what has become a commuter town are approx every 15 minutes,"

Ever so sorry for the confusion.

Done a quick calculation of the average length of time within for rush hour trains.

There are 8 trains from Balbriggan to Connolly between 6.45am and 8.47am. Average time between train = 15.25 minutes.

There are 7 trains Connolly and Balbriggan between 4.50pm and 6.40pm. Average time between train = 15.71 minutes.

If you dont want to think these times are accrute for rush-HOUR then so be it.

Now I understand what you mean:)
    An extra few trains during rush hour would be lovely,esp coming home though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

he did say "aprox" 15 mins, to be fair, not "exactly always" 15 mins. ;)

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=1958

I wonder do we still get our water from Leixlip?

I have noticed a huge improvement in the water in the last while,not quality but it runs out less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Claudius64

Ive lived in Balbriggan all my life, I love my town, you are hurtful AND insulting in your manner of speech, its understandable to have gripes but some of the comments about the town are blatantly unfair.

Yes we could do with an improved Bus Eireann service - is that balbriggans fault? No, its bus eireanns fault and then its the people of balbriggans fault for not complaining every time a bus is late.

what you said about trains i found quite untrue also. ten years commuting by rail to city centre and i can count in single figures the times a train has been cancelled. Also the train times posted above are correct, I have rarely been late getting to work. Yes you sometimes have to stand, but thats a problem nationwide with rail services, large population centres are under serviced by national transport all over the country, grin and bare it or move further out of the city. If you lived in Drogheda you probably had the luxury of getting a seat as you were further away.

You CAN drink the water straight from the tap, something you STILL cant do in Galway. yes its hard but if its not to your taste then use a filter jug.
    Could you please read my post again...please? I said there is a Lidl, no Aldi. I respect the right of all posters to criticise my views, but plese criticise what I say dont misquote me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Claudius64

also with regard to the terrible number of cancellations of trains from and to Balbriggan, may I suggest that those who object to what I have said do the following
    go to railsers.ie forums, if I am incorrect about the number of cancellations then so also are all the people who complain there. OR
    Take a look at irish rails own statistics (if you can find them).
    One other thing, I am NOT anti Balbriggan. I originally responded to a question posed by a poster asking about amenities in Balbriggan. I gave accurate information about deficiences in services such as public transport, and other amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

We moved to Bremore Pastures in Sept 09, and I have to say, it was a fantastic move! I have had no problem with the trains and buses. The Dunnes at the Castle Mill precinct is more that adequate for a weekly shop, but there is always Supervalu or Tesco for anything they may not have.
    We don't have children yet, and will obviously have to book their places in school early due to over crowding but that's no issue- preparation is the key (I see the Educate Together school is enrolling for Sept 2015 now!!).
    My only issue is the soil in the garden- it's all stoney and impossible for growing, and the limey water is a pain- but that's about it.
    I love how close it is to the city (40 mins on the train isn't bad), it's only minutes to the seaside and the same to many farms and country areas and I love how there are two shopping centres within 20 mins drive (Swords Pavillions and Drogheda Scotch Hall). And there is talk of this new one on the Naul road opening this year too.
    The few neighbours that we have met are lovely too.

I wouldn't let the negative posts put anyone off moving to Balbriggan- it's the best decision we made :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement