Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

OFDM wrote:
    They spent 6 months doing a mickey mouse job on the section between Sweetman's cross the M1 and was banjacksed again within 6 weeks.

*ahem* Hagans Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Bluetonic wrote:
    *ahem* Hagans Cross.
    Everyone has a different name for that one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

OFDM wrote:

LOL, i use both of these names!

OFDM wrote:

I suppose most blow ins will know it as 'accident cross' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Bluetonic wrote:
    I suppose most blow ins will know it as 'accident cross' :rolleyes:

To stir it up even further, I know it as Clonard Cross !

And while we are on it, did you know that the Hill of Clonard and Clonard Hill are two entirely different locations being only a few hundred yards apart from each other !:v:

• Advertisement

Chopperdog wrote:
    And while we are on it, did you know that the Hill of Clonard and Clonard Hill are two entirely different locations being only a few hundred yards apart from each other !:v:

Both which are going to destroyed in the next few years. Such a shame.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is that the road that you drive up heading for balbriggan coming from the 2nd m1 exit?

That road is terrible:( my car bouces due to all the pot holes and eneven surface

Bluetonic wrote:
    Both which are going to destroyed in the next few years. Such a shame.

We are feeling quite cheated at this stage, as we built a new house 15ish years ago in the area that we are talking about when it was purely rural.
    I could honestly go shooting in my own back garden!

Now, with housing developments and industrial units springing up (literally) all around us it is hard not to feel cheated out of what I thought was going to be a nice private secluded dwelling place.
    I am not being snobbish, yet if I wanted to live in a built up area I would have bought there. Seems cruel that I built in seclusion and now development has ambushed me! :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww that would suck alright:( on the brightside ur house has probably rocketed in value

Moonbeam wrote:
    Aww that would suck alright:( on the brightside ur house has probably rocketed in value

Aah well, every cloud etc...:D

• Advertisement

I have being viewing the Fingal Bay development plan (Thanks Bluetonic!).

It appears that there is going to be a third level education campus included in the development.
    Has anybody got any further information on which college or faculties are coming to Balbriggan?

Chopperdog wrote:
    I have being viewing the Fingal Bay development plan (Thanks Bluetonic!).

It appears that there is going to be a third level education campus included in the development.
    Has anybody got any further information on which college or faculties are coming to Balbriggan?
    If there was going to be anything it would probably be a PLC place. I doubt they'd stick an Institute of Technology in Balbriggan.

that was prolly thrown into the plan to sweeten the planners

sirpsycho wrote:
    that was prolly thrown into the plan to sweeten the planners
    As with the hotel, it's more to show what could be possible. The department of education would have surely annouced already if a 3rd level college was going to be located in Balbriggan.

OFDM wrote:
    As with the hotel, it's more to show what could be possible.

I'd be pretty sure a hotel will go in there sooner rather than later. A Travel Lodge type hotel I'd say. There must be a market for a budget hotel there if they can build one in Stamullen off the motorway.

Anyhow, unrelated to the present topic but cracking photo of the town here... http://www.balbriggan.net/images/aerialJan06a.jpg

Bluetonic wrote:
    There must be a market for a budget hotel there if they can build one in Stamullen off the motorway.

Was just about to mention that, does anyone have any other details on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jack2002

The Dunnes is crap - their stock is awful - they never have anything i want!

Does anyone know if a leisure centre is part of the Bracken Court expansion?

Jack2002 wrote:
    T
    Does anyone know if a leisure centre is part of the Bracken Court expansion?

No there is no lesiure centre.

What sort of lesiure are you looking for? I'm sure it's all catered for in and around the town at the moment anyhow, albeit of minimally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jack2002

Bluetonic wrote:
    No there is no lesiure centre.

What sort of lesiure are you looking for? I'm sure it's all catered for in and around the town at the moment anyhow, albeit of minimally.

Is there a gym? Or tennis?

Jack2002 wrote:
    Is there a gym? Or tennis?

Theres a small gym in the combined clubs hall which is where the old cinema is, on Dublin Street across from BOI.

You'll find a tennis club in Balrothery, 2 mins drive or 20 minutes walk from the Church. Theres also a good tennis club in Skerries. The old tennis club in Balbriggan is now an all weather pitch shared by Hyde Park and Glebe North.

A new lesiure centre has planning to be built up in the Flemington area of the (losely speaking) town.

• Advertisement

More details of as already mentioned development. Superquinn this week rumoured to be one anchor tenant.
    A LIFFEY Valley style scheme is blueprinted for Ballbriggan in Co Dublin where Parkway Partnership is applying for a new 28,292 sq m regional/district centre.

The proposal is the first phase of an overall development masterplan and will be included within a three storey building.

The development will include three anchor stores, 52 other retail units, seven community/service office units, a health and fitness centre and a restaurant/food court area.

Planning permisison is being sought for car parking for 1,100 cars in four separate car parks, ranging up to five storeys.

The new development has been earmarked for a 254 acre site beside the Naul Road to the north and the Fingal Bay development to the south. The directors of Parkway partnership are Oliver and Lisa Carey.

The firm was recently granted planning permission for 422 residential units at North-West Balbriggan (designed by Stephen Little & Associates).

Designed by AD Wejchert Architects, the new centre will be laid out over two primary levels and accessed via a glazed internal street running across the site.

Travelators will connect at new civic plazas at the lower level and the adjoining multi-storey car park at the upper level.

The new blueprint testifies to the near exponential growth of the Balbriggan area, now one of the most popular residential/commuter precincts in the capital.

The town is strategically located on the Belfast Corridor and well placed to harnass new commercial opportunities building up between Dublin and Drogheda.

Bluetonic wrote:
    The development will include three anchor stores, 52 other retail units, seven community/service office units, a health and fitness centre and a restaurant/food court area.
    No cinema? That blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Bluetonic wrote:
    More details of as already mentioned development. Superquinn this week rumoured to be one anchor tenant.

well then they'll want to be sorting out that road that runs up past the graveyard to the motorway, think of all the delivery trucks (and not to mention the construction vehicles) that will be using that road.

OFDM wrote:
    No cinema? That blows.

The cinema may still go ahead in the town centre. Talks still ongoing as far as I know.

d-arke wrote:
    well then they'll want to be sorting out that road that runs up past the graveyard to the motorway, think of all the delivery trucks (and not to mention the construction vehicles) that will be using that road.

The Naul road will be a very minor road in years to come, the main road from the M1 to the Motorwat will be via Fingal Bay as depicted in one of my previous posts!

Bluetonic wrote:
    The cinema may still go ahead in the town centre. Talks still ongoing as far as I know.
    Where about in the town is it proposed (Gallen mills?) and roughly how many screens?

Bluetonic wrote:
    The Naul road will be a very minor road in years to come, the main road from the M1 to the Motorwat will be via Fingal Bay as depicted in one of my previous posts!
    I assume the Fingal Bay road will join up with the current "interchange" on the Naul road?

OFDM wrote:
    Where about in the town is it proposed (Gallen mills?) and roughly how many screens?
    As far as i know, which ins't much, it'll be a 3/4 screen cinema. Indeed it's to go where Gallens was.
    OFDM wrote:
    I assume the Fingal Bay road will join up with the current "interchange" on the Naul road?
    Yeah thats the plan, where the Naul road (going towards Balbriggan) bends left it will in the future go straight on to Fingal Bay. If you go up the back of Sonopress you can drive on the half completed road.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Yeah thats the plan, where the Naul road (going towards Balbriggan) bends left it will in the future go straight on to Fingal Bay. If you go up the back of Sonopress you can drive on the half completed road.

aaaaahhhhhh!!!!!! good stuff blue-y

This thread beens a bit quiet for a while so I thought I'd throw up a link to the Fingal coco development plan for the town. Will give people a bit of an insight as to whats in store.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/devplan/yourfingal/amend_draft/maps/sheet2/index.htm

Perhaps the most important thing to notice is the proposed new road, an outter ring road which go from the northern edge of the town at the bad bend around 1km north of O'Dwyers - cutting across Flemington Lane - travelling past the new Dunnes and through the new town up there - intersect west of Hagans cross with the Naul road - join up with the already built road up the back of Sonopress and along the new raod on the old Wavin lane - then onto south of the Soliders Cottages on the Skerries road with the raod to go under the railway line and join the Skerries road via a loop.

You can see on the main map that the big red square to the west of the town is the proposed new shopping centre talked about in previous posts.

• Advertisement

Good link Bluetonic. Not that I'll be here for all that, heading off in a couple of weeks, so maybe see you down in O'Sheas/Home for a drink

Advertisement