Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Yeah, feck London, the 2 of us love to travel so lets hit....Balriggan!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I never realised that everything was black & white back in the early 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nichen

Hi Bluetonic,

Any idea of the exact location on Hamlet Lane for the proposed swimming pool and leisure centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Isn't that to be on the other side of the main road, the sea side (if that makes sense), just up from O'Dwyers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

nichen wrote:
    Hi Bluetonic,

Any idea of the exact location on Hamlet Lane for the proposed swimming pool and leisure centre

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/devplan/yourfingal/amend_draft/maps/sheet2/index.htm

If you look at Map C and where you see the 'blue' square labelled LAP2, it's supposedly in and around that area.

• Advertisement

d-arke wrote:
    Isn't that to be on the other side of the main road, the sea side (if that makes sense), just up from O'Dwyers

That where Moriartys, I mean O'Dwyers, will be moving too.

Bluetonic wrote:
    That where Moriartys, I mean O'Dwyers, will be moving too.

Aren't they building a sports centre as well though with an indoor hall for football, basketball, badminton etc as well as squash courts, outside running track. I though the town were then going to build a footpath up that road past Cardy Rock so people could get there safely

d-arke wrote:
    Aren't they building a sports centre as well though

Yes.
    O’Dwyers G.A.A. Club Hamlet Lane, Balbriggan, for erection of a two storey clubhouse and double height sports facilities building including: Sports Hall 1833m sq, squash and handball courts 388m sq, changing rooms area 828m sq, first aid room 31m sq, multi purpose room 231m sq, meeting rooms totalling 106.5m sq, clubhouse bar facilities 580m sq and ancillary toilets, stores, boiler room: Overall building area is 6725 m sq. External facilities include: entrance piers and gates, parking for 407 cars and 6 coaches, hurling wall, perimeter fencing 2.4m high; laying out the grounds to provide 3 no. GAA pitches and 1 no. running track and all weather pitch, floodlighting, pump station and associated drainage works, all landscaping and site development works on a site of 10.37 Ha located circa 60 m North-West of the existing junction between N1 road and Flemington Lane. The lands are located bounded by the N1 (east) and the Dublin - Belfast rail line (west) in townland of Bremore.

So whats the point in building another lesiure centre. Is the O'Dwyers one going to be private? Couldn't imagine that they would get sufficient members, although I'm usually always wrong.

d-arke wrote:
    So whats the point in building another lesiure centre. Is the O'Dwyers one going to be private? Couldn't imagine that they would get sufficient members, although I'm usually always wrong.

It's not another lesuire centre, it's a facility for the club.

Think of the lesuire centre as a place where the buggy brigade will hang out and O'Dwyers as a private members GAA club.

In 5 to 10 years time there will be more than enough of a population for the facilities, mind you judging by the state of some of the people you see in the town these days, both blow ins and locals, you'd wonder if they new what recreational excercise was.

• Advertisement

Very true! Walking to the off license is about the best most can manage these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

d-arke wrote:
    Very true! Walking to the off license is about the best most can manage these days.

As far as I know cheers delivers now:D

As far as I know cheers delivers now:D

Speaking about off licences I see Dempseys off licence now has a slush puppy machine, serving slush puppies pub hours!

As far as I know cheers delivers now

No way!?! That really is desperate if people are using that service.

Caller: "Hi, is that Cheers? Can I get a 6 bottles of Liden Village and a bottle of Buckfast. Oh, and can you deliver it to the beach?" :D
    Bluetonic wrote:
    Speaking about off licences I see Dempseys off licence now has a slush puppy machine, serving slush puppies pub hours!

Dempseys?? Alcoholic Slosh Puppies?!?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

better craic down t beach anyway. might meet someone you know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Alcoholic slush puppies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Bluetonic wrote:
    I say bring back the Cardy Marina Lesiure Centre.

Man I used to LOVE that place (before I developed my fear of swimming pools) I remember my friend had her birthday party there (cant remember how old we were) and it was class.

Also, d-arke....I went to a stereophonics concert with you :p

Also, d-arke....I went to a stereophonics concert with you :p

:eek: :confused: :eek:

OK-ayyyyyyyy!! Now I'm freaked :confused: It definitely wasn't the one back in September. :cool: So that leaves :rolleyes: '98 orrrr '00 (I think it was then) so that leaves '98. And I honestly can't remember who went :( There were 4 girls that came with us who vanished somewhere so more than likely you were one of them. Dam, I hate having a crap memory when it comes down to specifics.

PS. Stupid leaving certificate :D

Just stumbled across this website about O'Shea's.
    http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/osheasbalbriggan.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

d-arke wrote:
    :eek: :confused: :eek:

OK-ayyyyyyyy!! Now I'm freaked :confused: It definitely wasn't the one back in September. :cool: So that leaves :rolleyes: '98 orrrr '00 (I think it was then) so that leaves '98. And I honestly can't remember who went :( There were 4 girls that came with us who vanished somewhere so more than likely you were one of them. Dam, I hate having a crap memory when it comes down to specifics.

PS. Stupid leaving certificate :D

Hehe, aye that was it. My cousin peter (chunk) was there too :)

• Advertisement

the cardy marina was a long time ago. with the fish tanks on the way in and the swimming pool as big as a back garden pond. the life guard is the bar mannager now, could have invested in a personality while he was at it.:D

Ah right! Well, that was easily the best gig I've been to. Stereophonics in the Olympia.:eek: :) :cool:
    Sinister wrote:
    the life guard is the bar mannager now, could have invested in a personality while he was at it.

Hahaha :D Fair play to him though, he's good at his job and gets a good atmosphere going in the place. And can sometimes scam a free drink or two of him :D Ahhh, going to miss the place :(

Ah right! Well, that was easily the best gig I've been to. Stereophonics in the Olympia.:eek: :) :cool:
    Sinister wrote:
    the life guard is the bar mannager now, could have invested in a personality while he was at it.

Hahaha :D Fair play to him though, he's good at his job and gets a good atmosphere going in the place. And can sometimes scam a free drink or two of him :D Ahhh, going to miss the place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

d-arke wrote:
    Bluetonic wrote:
    It's not another lesuire centre, it's a facility for the club.

Think of the lesuire centre as a place where the buggy brigade will hang out and O'Dwyers as a private members GAA club.

now, i can tell you as a member of the committee in O'Dwyers that the new facilities will be there to be used by the public. The complex will be built on public land with O'Dwyers owning the lease. The only catch is that O'Dwyers get first use on it as it is being run and mantained by the club.

d-arke wrote:

are we talkin about the same guy or are you being carcastic.
    monotone guy. no apparant personality. atmosphere????:(

sgarvan wrote:
    now, i can tell you as a member of the committee in O'Dwyers that the new facilities will be there to be used by the public. The complex will be built on public land with O'Dwyers owning the lease. The only catch is that O'Dwyers get first use on it as it is being run and mantained by the club.

So pretty much like any other clubhouse in the town, club have first use, public can use with agreement from the club. Nothing new there.

Sinister wrote:
    are we talkin about the same guy or are you being carcastic.
    monotone guy. no apparant personality. atmosphere????:(

Fergal is a nice enough guy, just quiet.

Fergal is a nice enough enough guy, just quiet.

Hence why he probably doesn't follow his profession too much.

been drinkin there for the last 10 years on and off, but youre right he's fine when you get used to him, marian is a better laugh though, no such thing as cut a story short with her.

• Advertisement

Sinister wrote:
    been drinkin there for the last 10 years on and off, but youre right he's fine when you get used to him, marian is a better laugh though, no such thing as cut a story short with her.

She's lovely, but not a very efficient barmaid, often been in there with only 5-6 other customers and still could be waiting 5 mins for a beer!

She has slowed down a lot since they shut the shamrock

Advertisement