Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Myself and d arke got fairly skulled on Saturday....ugh! Great night though down in Baile Brigín!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Rockee wrote:
    Myself and d arke got fairly skulled on Saturday....ugh! Great night though down in Baile Brigín!:D

LOL, Yeah great night! :D I even stripped! :D :eek: :cool: Well.....more like, two hot girls stripped me, LOL! :D Great fun!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

She's lovely, but not a very efficient barmaid, often been in there with only 5-6 other customers and still could be waiting 5 mins for a beer!

She has slowed down a lot since they shut the shamrock

she's still just as bad but shes great craic, shes usally tellin one of her stories, u know, the ones that go on forever. thats why she takes so long to get t ya.

as for slowin down, ive never seen her fast, shamrock shut a couple years before i started.

bring back enno's where the abuse was free and plentiful.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

She has slowed down a lot since they shut the shamrock

the good old shamrock.

shamrockbar832jo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I see the night club park of O'Sheas in Skerries has some planning permission in for it.
    Roughan Properties Ltd 8/10 Drogheda Street, Balbriggan, for change of use from Nightclub to Doctor's Surgery/Treatment Rooms, Retail Pharmacy, car parking and associated site works at rear Of O'Shea's Public House, 15-17 New Street And Bounding, Tennis Court Lane, Skerries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

so what is there to do in Balbriggan?

I managed to locate the library:)

Any good equestrian centres nearby?
    A swimming pool?
    Any interesting clubs that would be open to new members?

Depends what age group you fall into I suppose.

There's a fair bit to do depending on what you're interested in. Swimming pool? Closest one I can think of is either Gormanstown College or Bettystown (think there's one in some hotel that can be used, though it could be members only). You should maybe try go down and try your luck at Balbriggan beach, plenty of only nutters down there swimming in the sea during the summer.

Equestrian centres? I think there's one out near the Naul, and there's a suppose to a decent one out near Pudding Hill past Duleek which doesnt exactly help you out. Only know of it, because of the GoKarting out that way.

Any interesting clubs? What about a drama society club. I could get details of a friend who's involved. Think there's a badminton club on Monday nights in the Community centre that would welcome new members. Or how about trying to get membership in the golf club.

There's plenty of sports to chose from if thats your thing. Other than that, I'm sure you could just post an ad up in the library asking for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Think the swimming pool in Gormanston only does lessons for the public. The swimming pool in Bettystown is in The Neptune Hotel, there's also another pool in the Boyne Valley Hotel Balbriggan side of Drogheda. Prolly best to ring them and ask about the pools.

Gormanston Equestrian Centre Ltd
    Knockagin Road
    Balbriggan
    CoDublin

or

Castle Hill Equestrian Centre Ltd., Julianstown Meath. (5miles north of Balbriggan)
    (041)9829430.

The Badminton is on every monday from 8.30pm-10pm in the Community Center.

As far as I'm aware the badminton is only a social badminton club. I played in it a few years ago when they were in the league but due to lack of membership they pulled out. If you're looking for social, yet competitive, badminton go over to Skerries Badminton Club every Monday and Wednesday night 8pm - 11pm. Though its coming to the end of the season so you're best waiting until early September unless they decide to run a summer club again this year, which is highly unlikely due to poor turn out last year

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe not badminton,but all ideas are welcome:)

Suppose I am just trying to work out what is on offer then, I can decide what to partake in:)

Age group = early 20's

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote:

Age group = early 20's

You'd be surprised at how good a game it really is. And the amount of people in their 20's that play, I've been playing 5 years now and I'm only 23.

Also, its a mixed sport. So who knows :D

If I can suggest any others I will. Maybe its only cause I play it but you shouldn't rule out badminton.

Moonbeam wrote:

Suppose I am just trying to work out what is on offer then, I can decide what to partake in:)

Age group = early 20's

if your interested in GAA, O'Dwyers on Hamlet Lane has 3 Adult Football Teams which caters for all different levels and a hurling team. Great atmosphere around the club of late. So could be good to look into.

A couple of things from the news this week
    • Proposal for the outter relief road from the newley opened road to the Naul road are on display at present in the town hall.
    • The town council are to vote on a ban on planning permission being given for any more high density housing (3+ story) in the town and surrounding areas next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

[QUOTE
    [*] The town council are to vote on a ban on planning permission being given for any more high density housing (3+ story) in the town and surrounding areas next week.
    [/LIST][/QUOTE]

That sounds very promising, yet what extent of power do the town Council have to intervene in issues of planning and re-zoning?
    Does An Bord Pleanala not have the main say in this type of situation?

Bluetonic wrote:
    A couple of things from the news this week
    • The town council are to vote on a ban on planning permission being given for any more high density housing (3+ story) in the town and surrounding areas next week.

fooking great idea. might stop the ridiculous building in the town from spirialing out of control

excuse my ignorance abotu the outer relief road but is that the road thats gonig to join the back of cardboard city(martello towers,bremore etc) to the m1?

Moonbeam wrote:
    excuse my ignorance abotu the outer relief road but is that the road thats gonig to join the back of cardboard city(martello towers,bremore etc) to the m1?

The outer relief roads proposal can be seen on this page which is already posted on this thread http://www.fingalcoco.ie/devplan/yourfingal/amend_draft/maps/sheet2/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Matarese

Hmmm i dont have much to add......except its real windy!:D

Everybody from Balbriggan then?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

So, anyone tried Garam Masala yet? What's the verdict?
    I thought it was far better than the Shiva place in Skerries.

As regards what to know about Balbriggan - personally I think that Deli Burger do a great feed.

Anyone locals recommend another chipper?

Hill Billy wrote:
    As regards what to know about Balbriggan - personally I think that Deli Burger do a great feed.

Wait until The Pop In reopens on the square, same owners as Deli Burger but in a league of its own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Ah the Pop In....the Mecca of every drunken balbrigganer on a Friday and Saturday night.

Best. Food. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Matarese

Hello Steph ;)....can you remember who i was on here before?it began with an S.

Yeah Pop in was THE chipper in Balbriggan.....better than deli burger!Glad to hear its coming back:D

What impresses me about Deli Burger is that the kebabs are good even when you're sober.

Will try the Pop In when it reopens.

Hill Billy wrote:
    So, anyone tried Garam Masala yet? What's the verdict?
    I thought it was far better than the Shiva place in Skerries.

Had a bit of a job trying to find Garam Masala(presuming the indian at the back of Cyberzone?) even though I'm from the brig! Eventually found it and tried it out and have to say that it is quality. Excellent service, tasty food and good portions. Make sure you are hungry before you enter! The same people run the indian in drogheda on stockwell street. Highly recommended :cool:

Need to add that the chinese and indian in the brig are far far better than the muck in skerries.

sirpsycho wrote:
    Need to add that the chinese and indian in the brig are far far better than the muck in skerries.

I hope that you are not dissing the beef curry in Oh-So ****ty (Ocean City).

An insult like that could mean civil war in North Fingal. I can see it now...

Men, women & chislers from both towns lining up agross the lawns in Ardgillan armed with little plastic forks & tin-foil carton shields.

Tried Garam Masala last night found the food very disappointing edible though.
    I have been repeatedly impressed with the chinese takeaway down the top/end of the town beside spar.
    Are their any other indians/chinese/thai restaurants/takeaways nearby?

There's a new Thia place opening on the 1st of May, ad in the North County Leader. I can't remember the details but it's of 'De Druns'.

Moonbeam wrote:
    Tried Garam Masala last night found the food very disappointing edible though.
    I have been repeatedly impressed with the chinese takeaway down the top/end of the town beside spar.
    Are their any other indians/chinese/thai restaurants/takeaways nearby?

Disappointing? This is the indian at the back of Cyberzone? It's top quality, you sure u didnt enter the wrong establishment??

The chinese beside supervalu is the best chinese takeaway although I must admit i havent had much food from Ocean (near Spar). Their chicken fillet burgers are the best - and cheapest - in the land imho.

The chinese restaurant across from De Brun, even though it's owned by the same peeps who own the takeaway beside suprvalu, provide a takeaway service too which I think is much better than the actual takeaway.

• Advertisement

Got a takeaway from the chinese across from De Bruns(the brown place?) the food wasn't the nicest.

Yes I am sure we are talknig about the same indian:)

I haven't tried the one beside supervalu yet.

What is the fastfood and chinese fast food palce walking up from the train station like?

excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to names of places,I tend to notice the food more:)

Advertisement