Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Moonbeam wrote:
    Got a takeaway from the chinese across from De Bruns(the brown place?) the food wasn't the nicest.:)
    I find this too but when you sit for a meal its fabulous

Moonbeam wrote:
    Yes I am sure we are talknig about the same indian:):)
    Its only ok in my books(best indian in balbriggan;) )

Moonbeam wrote:
    I haven't tried the one beside supervalu yet.:)
    Best take out
    Moonbeam wrote:
    What is the fastfood and chinese fast food palce walking up from the train station like?:)
    Eatzen, the chineese is edible but I have to say the chips are the business

Moonbeam wrote:
    excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to names of places,I tend to notice the food more:)
    No bother,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Forgive my ignorance but where has this new Indian 'Garam Masala' opened?
    Christ, I dont even know where Cyberzone is....
    Must be getting old...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Chopperdog wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance but where has this new Indian 'Garam Masala' opened?
    Christ, I dont even know where Cyberzone is....
    Must be getting old...

Cyberzone is where movie magic used to be, across from Main Street Coffee Shop (the coffee pot).

And the indian is down the lane beside it, opposite the post office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 maurice06

There seems to be quite a bit of new building in the town, does anybody know what amenities are going into them??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

maurice06 wrote:
    There seems to be quite a bit of new building in the town, does anybody know what amenities are going into them??

If you narrow it down to where in the town you are talking about then maybe someone can shed some light.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

more houses and apartments?;)

Also a cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Is the Indian in O Sheas near the Harbour still open??

I moved out of Balbriggan 8 months ago and its the only thing I miss.. The €40 or €50 meal deal, 2 starters, 2 main meals and a bottle of wine was great value!!

Thankfully the Indian in St Annes in Raheny is tasty aswell;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

branners69 wrote:
    I moved out of Balbriggan 8 months ago and its the only thing I miss.. The €40 or €50 meal deal, 2 starters, 2 main meals and a bottle of wine was great value!!

The Man O'War is even better I think! They have an early bird between 6-7 every evening bar Sunday I think.... 2 Starters, 2 Main courses, 2 Desserts, 1 bottle of wine, tea/coffee..€19.99 each. Super value, super food and super little restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Flanzer,

I am glad that you had a good experience in the war as my family and I will never cross its doorstep again. We had a sunday lunch from hell. Nothing was right. The young waiter appeared to be out of his brains, we waited 1/2 an hour for the starters and then they arrived together with the main course!
    The food was bland and insipid and they served mixed vegetables in a cream sauce with beef drenching it all with brown gravy. :eek:

To cap it all off, my good lady is vegetarian and when she asked for a vetetarian option she was told that it is only available midweek and not on Sundays ! Her meal was exactly the same as mine minus the meat, pretty lame in fairness.

NEVER AGAIN.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Bluetonic wrote:
    A couple of things from the news this week
    • The town council are to vote on a ban on planning permission being given for any more high density housing (3+ story) in the town and surrounding areas next week.

Out of interest, did you/anyone hear anything more on this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There was an article in the fingal independent about this week,will pass it on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

SeanOS wrote:
    Out of interest, did you/anyone hear anything more on this?

Just what was mentioned in the fingal. Dont want to appear to cynical but the town council have no "powers" what-so-ever. What fingalcoco say will go in the end, unfretunately. :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

The indian in o'sheas is gone, they dont do food anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Sinister wrote:
    The indian in o'sheas is gone, they dont do food anymore.

Shame....i got a cracking vindaloo out of there once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

theres a good chance that the other indian is the same crowd, not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Sinister wrote:
    theres a good chance that the other indian is the same crowd, not sure though.

Completely different owners.

Whats the story though with a cinema going up?

Some people have said there will be a new cinema and some have said there wont.

Spalk0 wrote:
    Whats the story though with a cinema going up?

Some people have said there will be a new cinema and some have said there wont.
    Edit, rumour
    Bluetonic might know a bit more about it

Nice to see you back Spalko, been a long time since you graced us with your presence:D

Thanks Meditrator:D

Yes ive been away on sabatical but now im back for a while.I see your still prowling these parts though.

Thanks for the cinema info......ive heard a lot of conflicting stories about it and once again Balbriggan just builds more and more domestic premises and feck all entertainment!:rolleyes:

Spalk0 wrote:
    Thanks Meditrator:D

Yes ive been away on sabatical but now im back for a while.I see your still prowling these parts though.

Thanks for the cinema info......ive heard a lot of conflicting stories about it and once again Balbriggan just builds more and more domestic premises and feck all entertainment!:rolleyes:

Ignore my previous post as I have come across more info regarding this Cinema
    Fingal Indo from the 15th March

Balbriggan cinema all set to open

By Robin Kiely
    BALBRIGGAN’S long-awaited cinema is set to open finally with speculation growing that developers McEnaney Construction are to operate it themselves.

Rumours circulated that the building, located on the corner of Drogheda Street and Mill Street, would not be housing a cinema after difficulties acquiring an operator.

But it seems the long wait is finally over and it appears that the four-screen complex will open later this year.

Though not confirming either way, McEnaney’s said that an announcement was due within a month. Builder Sean McEnaney agreed that it had been difficult to locate an operator.

‘It’s been hard to find an operator,’ said Mr McEnaney. ‘It’s a serious development and we’re looking at around €1.5 million to fit it out. I can’t say at this stage, but it could be a month. It’ll pan out one way or the other.’

Property Director at McEnaney’s, John McKeon, said they were ‘poised to make an announcement’ within the next four weeks.

‘We are still working on it. We’ve almost got it ready to go, but we’re not there yet.

‘We’ll know more within the next four weeks,’ Mr McKeon said.

Mr McKeon described the cinema as a ‘significant investment’ and said work on the Gallen Mills development was still ongoing.

‘We bought the building four years ago with planning permission for a cinema and we’re endeavouring to provide that cinema. The building itself will not be completed for another six to eight months with some minor work to finish and one structure left to build.’

Mr McKeon added that a cinema would take approximately three months to construct.

Labour’s Brendan Ryan, who has learned that the cinema will open, was among the first to welcome the development.

‘I am very pleased that Balbriggan’s wait for the promised cinema is now going to bear fruit,’ Mr Ryan said.

Balbriggan Chamber of Commerce President, Cormac Mohan, said that while the cinema was welcome, more infrastructure was needed.

‘It’s a very important piece of infrastructure and a welcome social amenity,’ Mr Mohan said.

‘It’s long overdue and while we welcome it, we would like to see a proper infrastructure built and more car parking will be needed.’

Thats Balbriggan for ye,,,

• Advertisement

Well thats better:)

Now theres something else to do bar drinking:D

Spalk0 wrote:
    Well thats better:)

Now theres something else to do bar drinking:D

But I like drinking ;-/

But I like drinking ;-/

Well then i guess Balbriggan cinema will be full of drunken louts then:D

Count me in.

With regards to the cinema, it just would be the same unless Old Ms Murtaghs was running her shop :) Those were the days

More news...
    BALBRIGGAN Town Council has called for an end to high-density residential developments in the town and a return to building low-rise houses ‘with front and back gardens’.

Balbriggan Town Councillor Sean Brown tabled a motion calling on Fingal County Council to refuse planning permission for any further high-density housing in Balbriggan,

‘I fail to see why this community needs any further high-density developments - I don’t see how it’s going to advantage the town or favour the existing residents in any way whatsoever,’ Cllr Brown (FG) told the Town Council’s monthly meeting.

‘Many of the new developments here are actually being bought up by investors and are coming back onto the market. The infrastructure can’t cope with any further high-density developments - the roads can’t cope and the train system certainly can’t cope.’

‘I would like to see a return to more low-rise, low-density, well spread out, front garden/back garden-type developments. Townhouses and apartments of three floors and more just don’t serve any purpose anymore.’

Cllr May McKeon (NP) supported the motion and said developments like Castlelands were ‘out and on public display at the moment’.

A vote by Fingal County Councillors in relation to that development had been postponed to April 24. She believed the Town Council’s motion would add strength to calls to reduce its density.

Cllr Ned Pyne (LAB) said he fully supported the motion and that, as far as he was aware, there were ‘a number of objections in to the Castlelands development’.

‘High density doesn’t do anything for the town. There are a number of eyesores and the worst one going up is Barnwall Court,’ Cllr Pyne said.

He said 35 to 36 ‘lovely’ houses built there now had ‘four blocks going up’ nearby.

Cllr Gertie Shields (NP) said: ‘We have more or less boxed ourselves into a corner with the development plan and we are going to get high-density housing whether we like it or not.’

Cllr Kathleen Hammond (LAB) agreed that there was enough high-density in Balbriggan, as the developments were ‘only being filled with rented accommodation’.

Cllr Monica Harford (LAB) said the Town Council had been told at a briefing meeting once that every local authority would be obliged to give planning permission to a certain amount of high-density development.

‘I was led to believe that that was a limited amount. I believe we have quite enough here now,’ she said.

‘One of my concerns is that we have very few Fingal County Councillors living in the Balbriggan area,’ Cllr Brown said. ‘I personally feel that a lot of other members of Fingal County Council, including members of my own party, don’t want the high-density development in their own back yard, and they are voting on it and making sure so much of it comes down this end.’

Town Manager Richard Brady pointed out that the planning function of a local authority was carried out in the context of a development plan accepted by councillors and it was important ‘that people make their views known on what they think that plan should and should not contain’.

Mr Brady said large-scale housing development in places like Blanchardstown and Tallaght had been low-density.

‘You did have large tracts of open spaces there which eventually became areas of anti-social behaviour,’ he said. ‘ (Low) density on its own is not necessarily a cure for some of the ills Cllr Brown is talking about.’

‘It’s a cure for the eyesores,’ Cllr Harford said.

I see the 'lower' quay street car park has reopened, that is the one nearest the prom.

2 euro for all day parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Bluetonic wrote:
    I see the 'lower' quay street car park has reopened, that is the one nearest the prom.

2 euro for all day parking.

I noticed that myself, Is there a parking meter in that carpark aswell or is it in the other car park on quay street

sgarvan wrote:
    I noticed that myself, Is there a parking meter in that carpark aswell or is it in the other car park on quay street

Theres a good few in the new car park. They are obviously set to a different time/cash setting than the others.

A tenner for a weeks parking is not bad. I personally think Irish Rail should introduce the same in the train station car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

alright d-arke, bluetonic, sir psycho etc etc and all the other brig heads. I know baz v well doug ;) Im yet another veteren who remembers the days of racing around the bmx track, and psuhing the bike up the big hill section on it!!! (in reality it was tiny, but then again I used not be able to cycle me bike up highstreet hill either :) )

someone raised a valid point about the town councillors blocking plans for more 3 storey high density housing. Someone asked if they could do this. Unfortunetly now. They can object to it, but cannot deny planning.
    balbriggan for whatever reason has been chosen as a high density town Nothing wil change that now. The official "town manager" is towing the County Council line and telling the local councillors that the official line will stand. No hope for it now...

Shocking....

:( :mad: Im just waiting for apub to open in the middle of one of these high density develpments. Up near dunes maybe? They have an abrakastabra a barbers, a bookie, a godfathers pizza, and a pharmacy, all thats missing is a pub to complete the magic planning formula. you'll get some great fights on the way home then with 100s of drunk people flowing out into a concrete jungle. savage planning. The planning board are genius in my opinion. (taste my sarcasm). high density planning makes SENSE. I defy someone to point out otherwise. You only need one big sewage pipe, one big water main, and one big road. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. plus you get a return on 3000 houses instead of 1000. what doesn;t make sense?

apart from the fact the wholeplaceis crowded and depressing. :confused:

Funny that you mention it..there is a pub going in just up from abrakebabra and a medical centre is oging in there too;)

• Advertisement

100gSoma wrote:
    (in reality it was tiny, but then again I used not be able to cycle me bike up highstreet hill either :) )

:

I found it easier going down it on a skateboard:D

Oh memories

Advertisement