Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Anyone remember the RC cars in Quinnsworth carpark years ago? Some great racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sirpsycho wrote:
    Anyone remember the RC cars in Quinnsworth carpark years ago? Some great racing.

More to the point, any one remember when the knackers moved into that car park many a years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

100gSoma wrote:
    alright d-arke, bluetonic, sir psycho etc etc and all the other brig heads. I know baz v well doug ;) Im yet another veteren who remembers the days of racing around the bmx track, and psuhing the bike up the big hill section on it!!! (in reality it was tiny, but then again I used not be able to cycle me bike up highstreet hill either :) )

PM ME! Let me know who ya are??? :confused: :eek: :confused:

On a side note, there's an Abrakadabra in Balbriggan now?!? Also, around about page 6 somebody mentioned that a third level college could be coming to balbriggan......hahaha, nearly p*ss*d myself and fell of the chair laughing.

And other another side note....I'm coming back to Balbriggan for a weekend tomorrow. No doubt I'll end up in Home/Afterdark on Saturday. See ya's there. :D

Oh yeah, quality band from Rush called ONE playing in Rush Harbour Bar this Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

i heard the abrakababra was in lego land and i heard the college thing about 10 years ago, pissed myself laughing then too. but then, you already know balbriggan has always been rife with rumers which rarely resemble the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I have it on good authority that the "third level college" is in fact going to be a Post-Leaving Certificate "Coláiste", provisionally named "Coláiste Molaga". This name most likely won't stick for obvious reasons.

The plans for it are on the map of Fingal Bay linked earlier in the thread somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sinister - Lego Land I like it;) sounds better then cardboard box land.

A colaiste would be cool,as would nearly anyhting else in the town.

Out of interest exactly how many primary schools does the place have? it seems to be all schools,supermarkets,pharmacies and takeaways in the town.

Sinister wrote:
    i heard the abrakababra was in lego land

:p HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Who remembers tearing down the hill of clonard on racers! Now do that and survive and your a legend! or the diving board down at the old baths beside the martello tower?

The RC cars were cool, they used to put down giant ropes to mark out the track every sunday after mass my dad'd bring me down to watch.

BMX track, i remember going round that on me dads racer too, boy was he pished, caught the crossbar a few times on the way down the jumps, ouch!

Legoland is a complete ballsup of a development. What planning? None, money in pockets if you ask me, theres absolutely no way to find your way around without a GPS a compass and a sextant.

I live in what used to be the outskirts of the town, near the graveyard, now my family home is in the town centre. I hate the amount of cars, dubliners are arriving like refugees from the big smoke and TAKING OVER.

its an invasion... call in the FCA :p

seriously though, the town is a nice place to grow up in, i just hope that legoland doesnt become a hood.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Blabriggan needs its own forum,place is getting too big;P

Moonbeam wrote:
    Blabriggan needs its own forum,place is getting too big;P

here here :D

Morphéus - BMX track on a racer :eek: :eek: :lol:

It was a great place to grow up though, indeed. Doubt it's going to be the same for kids growing up now.

On another note completely... where's the snow we use to get :confused: I used to love a good snowfall so we could belt the buses that passed through the town :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    the diving board down at the old baths beside the martello tower?

the diving board, they where the days.
    remember going down there as a kid and ****ting myself jumping of it incase i hit the rocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Moonbeam wrote:
    Out of interest exactly how many primary schools does the place have? it seems to be all schools,supermarkets,pharmacies and takeaways in the town.

Hmmm lets see. I went to St. Teresa's, cousin went to St. Peter and Paul's, there's St. George's (I think thats what its called) and I'm not too sure about any others.....

There's so many new parts of the town that I knew nothing about....we have an Abrakebabra! Wtf!!

We need to worry about schools and facilities for the younger population, not poxy take-aways and thousands of badly built houses and apartments.

There's St Molagas too.

someone launched an objection for planning permission for the gaelscoil too.

There is an educate together school in legoland too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

there is/was St Georges aswell. Not sure if it is still there. across the road from where Careys was

It appears the the sexual act of 'Dogging' is taking part in the church car park lately in the evenings. The funny thing about it is that it appears to be gay dogging.

You might think it strange and ask wheres my substantial proof.

I give you this.... why else would there be groups or blokes and male taxis drivers all looking into cars where groups of other blokes are.

Strange boys. :rolleyes:

:D Hehehehee, shake of the dust and start up that rumour mill. Now for some name dropping. Hahahahaa.

Isn't it G-Cabs that hang about in the church car park?

d-arke wrote:
    Isn't it G-Cabs that hang about in the church car park?

I think D-Cabs might be more appropriate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Yes it's doubles as the local taxi rank. Or should that be "Taxi ****"??

Anyone notice the new mask gone up in the garda station? same height as the previous one. i wouldve thought they would need planning permission but i didnt spot it in the fingal indo. fcukin joke that. all the houses surrounding that place, all the "hotspots" the microwave dishes will create.

• Advertisement

sirpsycho wrote:
    Anyone notice the new mask gone up in the garda station? same height as the previous one. i wouldve thought they would need planning permission but i didnt spot it in the fingal indo.

The Fingal only produces a small amount of the local planning permission, it's not definitive.

Seems strange anyhow to have a mask up there - is it scary :D

apparently gov owned buildings/sites dont need planning permission. they also have a deal with O2 to errect masts, that hold telecommunications equipment, at garda stations around the country.

sirpsycho wrote:
    apparently gov owned buildings/sites dont need planning permission. they also have a deal with O2 to errect masks, that hold telecommunications equipment, at garda stations around the country.

Is your finger slipping or are do you really mean to type masks?

LOL, opps.

Didn't notice but it is normal and at least we have phone coverage:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

The church car park is a well known meet place for the towns boy racers. And the boy racers from Skerries, Rush and Lusk meet up there too. They drag around the back roads and the coast road to Skerries. They show off their latest car add-ons and interiors in that car park. I'm pretty sure thats what you are seeing. And yeah, its G-cabs that normally use the car park as a sort of base.

ST* wrote:
    I'm pretty sure thats what you are seeing.

I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm you were reading :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Well well, it would appear that there is some truth in it. One thing I've learned about the town is take anything you hear with a pinch of salt. But seemingly the local Gardai are monitoring it. And recently they arrested some foreign ladies that were based in the newly built apartments down by the train station for 'offering their services'.

Clarsy. I'd say the old generation Balbriggan people are swallowing their false teeth at the thoughts of whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 naughton

Hey there,
    I have just moved into the area, and I'm loving it!
    Most people I have met are really nice and friendly.
    Some people will nod and smile as you pass (mostly those at the more mature end of the scale!) which I just cannot get over, having moved from a Dublin suburb close to the city centre.

Was thinking of going to Man O War this weekend to sample their fare, would anyone know how to get there? I have seen two signs for man of war whilst driving on the N1 coming from Blakes cross direction, one points to
    my right, then further on another one points into the left!! I am guessing Man o War is an area as well as the name of a pub. Any pointers as how I should get to the pub from Balrothery would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Naughton

• Advertisement

naughton wrote:
    Was thinking of going to Man O War this weekend to sample their fare, would anyone know how to get there? I have seen two signs for man of war whilst driving on the N1 coming from Blakes cross direction, one points to
    my right, then further on another one points into the left!! I am guessing Man o War is an area as well as the name of a pub. Any pointers as how I should get to the pub from Balrothery would be appreciated!!

Welcome to the town, the majority are decent folks.

It's easy to find from Balrothery. Going through Balrothery village heading away from Balbriggan you'll start to go up a hill with the old church on you right hand side. You'll then come to a painted roundabout on the ground with two exits off it, the first one to Ardgillan, and the second to the Man 'o war pub. You'll not miss it about 2 miles up that road on the right hand side of the road.

Advertisement