Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved to Balbriggan - what goss should I know!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 naughton

Thank you Bluetonic, much appreciated.

Naughton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

So did you find the Man 'O War pub then?

Did you know that the Man 'O War pub is located on the old from Dublin to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Man O'War pamphlety-things that they have on the bar say that it is on the old Dublin to Dunleer coach road. Did Drogheda not exist back in the olde days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Hill Billy wrote:
    The Man O'War pamphlety-things that they have on the bar say that it is on the old Dublin to Dunleer coach road. Did Drogheda not exist back in the olde days?

Hmm... I dont think that Oliver Cromwell and his cohorts had any trouble finding it in those times...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Hill Billy wrote:
    I think Dunleer used to be bigger than Drogheda a long time ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

More useless info - Balrothery used to be the biggest town in north Co Dublin until around 150 years ago. It had a hospital, brewery, biscuit factories (apparently Queen Vic & Lord Nelson were quite partial to "Balrothery Ship's Biscuits"), etc.

For those of you newly moved to the area & are fond of a pint of plain - I have to say that the bar in the Balrothery Inn serves the finest Guinness north of the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

the central isnt bad either for the black stuff

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

As I said before I think Balbriggan could do with it's own forum.

I posted the idea on the forums board.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51511542#post51511542

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

sirpsycho wrote:
    the central isnt bad either for the black stuff
    It's the best place to buy it alright, and second to that would be McCormick's (White Hart Inn). The Milestone is only good for the stuffed turkey and ham dinners imo! ;)

ST* wrote:
    and second to that would be McCormick's (White Hart Inn)

Or even McCormacks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 naughton

Bluetonic wrote:
    So did you find the Man 'O War pub then?

Did you know that the Man 'O War pub is located on the old from Dublin to Belfast.

Yes, we found the Man 'O War pub no problems, thank you.
    Had a lovely lunch, will go back again for some night life very soon.
    Although it will be hard to pull away from the Balrothery Inn, I agree
    the pints are very good!

I never went up that road before. Since moving into the area, i've been meaning to take a drive around all the small roads to get my bearings etc. The road to skerries was closed yesterday and I found a new route by Ardgillan Castle, by a grave yard which got me into Skerries from the other end, so I am getting there, literally.

I got the impression that there was a bit of history in Balrothery all right. Some one told me there are old stones in the ditches to mark the distance or route maybe? along the old coach road/Dublin Dunleer road?!! I also heard that the pub in balrothery used to house a theatre!!!

Another thing I have been meaning to do....go to Balbriggan libriary,
    get sorted on the local history. Would love to get my hands on some
    old prints of Balrothery or Balbriggan to hang in the house. Think there is a place on the Liffey in town that does that.

I noticed that Cumisky have a sign up becide the Balrothery inn (side facing the N1) for a development of appartments and shops...

naughton wrote:
    The road to skerries was closed yesterday and I found a new route by Ardgillan Castle, by a grave yard which got me into Skerries from the other end, so I am getting there, literally.

Thats around by Milverton, the grave yard is actually Skerries grave yard. The one in Skerries town filled up years ago - thats what they get for eating St Patricks goat :)
    naughton wrote:
    I got the impression that there was a bit of history in Balrothery all right. Some one told me there are old stones in the ditches to mark the distance or route maybe?

There use to be one outside the Milestone pub in Balbriggan, maybe it's still there, hence the name of the pub. Theres also one across the road from the Glenn beside Tanners Water too. They mark the distance to Drogheda and the distance to Dublin.

naughton wrote:
    I noticed that Cumisky have a sign up becide the Balrothery inn (side facing the N1) for a development of appartments and shops...

There are details of it in the Fingal and North County Leader this week. Four shops with appartments over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

wrote:
    Or even McCormacks

Riiiight...

Should I have caused any confusion with the town newbies over my inexcusable error, here is a pic of, and address for said public house.

God knows where they could have ended up.

*Sob*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Anyone else electricity go last night prob around 1am?

Anyone elses water go yesterday evening?

The water pressure is bad at the best of times but I haven't lost it completely in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Moonbeam wrote:

The water pressure is bad at the best of times but I haven't lost it completely in months.

The electricity went in bath road, funcking alarms tripped all over the place as well, kept me awake for an hour..........:(

The power out was scheduled for essential repairs.
    There were some ads on radio about it.
    I think it was only for last night.

Moonbeam wrote:

Yeah it went from 1am to 5am, was going to post up here that it was due to go off but was too lazy to to be honest.

It had to go off becasue of a major fault in the area.

Any critical businesses were told by the ESB in advance - yesterday afternoon.

I heard nothing at all about it at all but at least they picked a decent our for pew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

That's happening a lot recently, water outages, power outages, roads closed etc and no ones being told about it! Of course boardsies have all the info!
    Feckin alarms kept me awake all night :mad:

flanzer wrote:
    That's happening a lot recently, water outages, power outages, roads closed etc and no ones being told about it! Of course boardsies have all the info!
    Feckin alarms kept me awake all night :mad:

All joking aside, apart from calling around to each and every door in the town there isn't much of a better job that could be done. There have been signs up, ads in the local papers, ad on the radio etc..,

• Advertisement

If there were signs and ads up,they obviously didn't do a good job of it if we never noticed them.

Yeah the water pressure is probably what bothers me most at the moment,it sucks but to be fair I can now have a shower and the water doesn't run out as soon as I have put shampoo in my hair as it used to:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

Without a big fingal cc post up, does anyone know if this is true. is Gary Brown planning to pull down de bruns, build a shopping centre and then take the pub license out to the other side of drogheda and set up there.
    will we have lost another pub. the shamrock, tubbys and the ivory coast already gone and now the town is nearing twice the size it was only a few years ago.

Sinister wrote:
    Without a big fingal cc post up, does anyone know if this is true. is Gary Brown planning to pull down de bruns, build a shopping centre and then take the pub license out to the other side of drogheda and set up there.
    will we have lost another pub. the shamrock, tubbys and the ivory coast already gone and now the town is nearing twice the size it was only a few years ago.

No he's not intending to remove The Bell Hill/De Bruns and build a shopping centre. The shops will be in 'Healys Field in the back, with the temp hotel car park as the 'portal' to that area.

The Ivory Coast licence is attached to the bar licence that is for sale along with the premises on one of the floors of Gallons Mill. The Confrey Brothers and The Shamrock licences were bought by Supervalu and Quinnsworth for their off licences back in the day.

The shops will be in 'Healys Field in the back, with the temp hotel car park as the 'portal' to that area,

Surely you must mean 'Heeneys' field.....?

Chopperdog wrote:
    The shops will be in 'Healys Field in the back, with the temp hotel car park as the 'portal' to that area,

Surely you must mean 'Heeneys' field.....?

Thats exaxtly what I meant, trying to seperate the blowins from the locals.

Blowins: <null>

Locals: Chopperdog.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Thats exaxtly what I meant, trying to seperate the blowins from the locals.

Blowins: <null>

Locals: Chopperdog.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

was just wondering, i was told that balbriggan rumour by an ex-enno's local (was one myself).

the earliest name i remember growing up was the bell hill, dont suppose you know the name before it became bell hill.

the earliest name i remember growing up was the bell hill, dont suppose you know the name before it became bell hill.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, It was simply known as 'Gallaghers'.

It was owned and ran by Tommy Gallagher & family who live in Seapoint, they sold it to Gerry Ellis who turned it into 'The Belle Hill'.

As a good little Balbrigganer I am sure you know all about the original Belle Hill ?!

Chopperdog wrote:
    As a good little Balbrigganer I am sure you know all about the original Belle Hill ?!

And don't forget, although never a pub, the equally famous Sarah Of Runcorn.

• Advertisement

Chopperdog wrote:
    It was owned and ran by Tommy Gallagher & family who live in Seapoint, they sold it to Gerry Ellis who turned it into 'The Belle Hill'.

Here's a picture of the same...

Advertisement