Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb ADSL or DSL??

• 09-11-2005 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Hi there

With the packages that Digiweb provide are they ADSL or DSL or do they do both?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

ADSL is a type of DSL. They actually resell eircom's wholesale RADSL product. Again, RADSL is a type of DSL (as is VDSL, SDSL, etc.). Google the acronyms to get a better description of each type. In simple terms ADSL is one of the earlier/common DSL standards and usually means faster download sppeds (than upload speeds). RADSL is the same, only it degrades gracefully.. so the longer your line / the poorer the quality of the line, the slower the speeds will be, but it won't fall down and die on the first error. It is RADSL that eircom (and thus, the collection of DSL resellers) use, having used ADSL in the past, and with plans to use ADSL2+ in the future.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Thanks for the helpful reply cgarvey

Basically I'm going to set up a vpn so I need a static ip which is no problem. But for this vpn I wanted to use a Linksys BEFVP41 EtherFast Cable/DSL VPN Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch.
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416832495&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Digiweb have their two offerings, one is wireless the other is over the eircom lines. I'm not sure that router will work with either. If it doesn't has anyone got another suggestion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

It should work on both, but you would need an external DSL modem if you go for DSL (it doesn't look like it has one built in; the ISP will probably supply one anyway).

Advertisement