Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching stairs to timber floor

• 09-11-2005 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to visualize what our stairs and hall timber floor will look like together, and I'd appreciate any advice please.

In our first house, we got French Pitch Pine floors, so floors, skirting, architraves, stairs are all stained the same pine, so it looks fine.

In our new house we plan to put a solid hardwood floor, such as oak, downstairs. Our stairs is going to be Red Deal. I asked the stairs guy would I be able to stain the stairs to match the floor, and he said you'll never stain a soft wood to match a hard wood. So now I'm concerned.

Should I consider getting a stairs made from the same wood as the floor, or are stairs generally made from softwood, or are hardwood stairs a gazillion Euro ...??

Of course the floor and stairs don't necessarily have to match - I just don't want them to "clash".

Anybody been through this activity that could shed some light? What materials and stain are your floor and stairs, e.g.?

Many thanks.
    /M.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got oak floors with a red deal stairs but what I did was stain the stairs a dark oak (i'll ask the missus later). I personally like a dark colour on my stairs hand rails with a nice glossy finish.

Are you talking about the handrails or the steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi Manuel, you know I just had the same thought last week when I was going about ordering a stairs for our new house. Have to say that I was quite surprised that I got a really good quote from a company in New Ross Co Wexford called Staircase Manufacturers for a hard wood stairs (oak) which I think will match out oak landing perfectly. They were much more reasonable for a hardwood stairs than others were for softer woods. They sell a lot so buy their timber at a good price. They were the only place I found offering red oak. They do a good selection of stairs and I have to say I think we will be ordering from them. Give them a call. They have reps nationwide and get a price before you make any decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Manuel

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I got oak floors with a red deal stairs but what I did was stain the stairs a dark oak (i'll ask the missus later). I personally like a dark colour on my stairs hand rails with a nice glossy finish.

Are you talking about the handrails or the steps?

Thanks Lex. So you had no problem staining your Red Deal hand rails to the oak that you wanted then? To answer your question, I guess I'm talking about steps and handrails.

I must admit I can't get my head around this wood staining business. My wife tells me a friend of hers got her carpenter to stain her white deal architraves oak to match the oak doors and it supposedly turned out a disaster. Another friend said they never touched their white deal architraves since the day they were fitted and says they look fine with her oak doors as they are ...

Anyway, trial and error I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Image005.jpgManuel, I have been corrected. My handrails are teak and we used antique pine (Ronseal - 3 coats).

Best bet would be if you could get some of the red deal and stain it with a colour you think would match it. I wouldn't be too concerned with the opinion that you can't stain a softwood to match a hardwood. I originally stained the white deal doors when we moved in to a mahogany. 7 yrs later, I was sick of teh colour, ripped the doors, skirtings and architraves out and put in new ones and just went with a clear gloss on them. Coupled that with a white oak floor and antique pine stained banister. It doesn't have to be 100% match. I remember putting the 1st coat of stain on the stairs and thinking, I'll try another cos I wasn't happy with the look & shade, same applied when the 2nd coat went on. I put a dark blue carpet on the steps.
    Photo attached gives you an idea.

What kind of hardwood floor shade you thinking about? If its a white oak it should match most others because it is neutral enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭The Rooster

My own opinion is why does it have to match exactly?

We have oak doors, and our landing is oak and our hall is tiles. We didnt really like the Red Deal for the stairs, so enquired about oak. But that was too dear - inbetween in price was teak, so we went for teak and it looks great. Not identical to the oak doors/floor, but still suits the house and while we're very happy with our doors and floors, its the teak stairs and banisters that gets a lot more of the "wow" reactions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement