Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Density of MeOh & Water

• 09-11-2005 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Doin a project at the moment and there is a mix between Methanol and water; the bloody meter only reads in % i need it in kg/m^3 for pumping dynamics.

Anyone know the formula for mixing chemicals and getting the mixed fluid density?

Cheers
    nukem

PS:anyone know any good friendly bulletin board like our beloved boards but with just Engineers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Nukem wrote:
    Hey guys

Doin a project at the moment and there is a mix between Methanol and water; the bloody meter only reads in % i need it in kg/m^3 for pumping dynamics.

Anyone know the formula for mixing chemicals and getting the mixed fluid density?
    ?

Eh? There isn't one - it's basic maths:
    Density water = 1000 kg/m3
    Density Methanol = 850 kg/m3 (This is not the actual value - look it up, but it's close enough for this example!)

If your meter reads 25% Methanol, in any 1000litre (m3), there is 250 litres at 850kg/m3, 750litre at 1000kg/m3

Multiply it out and divide by 1000

Average density = 962kg/m3

Off you go and size your pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Gets a bit more technical than but thanks its the reasoning i couldnt get my head around
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054850031
    Found a nice manual and there ya go afull list of where and when:D

Thanks
    Nukem

Advertisement