Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Firewall

Options
  • 09-11-2005 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I'm sitting here in a wireless hot spot in UCD and thinking to myself "I should be able to play a few rounds of Counter-strike right now! Unfortunately, UCD have some annoying firewall that won't allow access to any servers. I just want to know if anyone can tell me about a way around this! Such a shame to let a frantically fast internet connection to go to waste!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I really thought you were joking when I looked at this first!
    No, nothing you can do I am afraid. The firewall will only allow outgoing connections based on the rules/policy the IT section have set up. Ususally ports for http(s),smtp,pop (if even) etc. I reckon you'll have to get gaming at home:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Hey, there's always a way - it just depends how badly you want it, and how much effort you're prepared to put in.

I met a guy once who worked in a large company, very security conscious. The guy wanted to access his home network using PuTTY, but the company's firewall blocked the outgoing connection. So the guy set up a http tunnel from his PC through the company's firewall on port 80, in to his home firewall on a particular high-numbered port, and internally into his home server, which hosted the other end of the tunnel. As far as the company was concerned, this looked like a regular web connection on port 80, but inside the tunnel, he could run ssh, vnc, or anything else he wanted.

Like I said, it all depends how much you want it. This guy did it all himself, using Linux and various open source apps, but there are people out there offering this a service as well - this crowd, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It may not be suitable for Game playing anyway (Prone to high ping rate depending on your location). That aside, the reason that the connection is so fast is partially due to the fact that there aren't hundreds of students playing games all of the time. You may be able to get around the restrictions, if you do-you get a biscuit in the post, and a kick in the ass / disciplinary action from your college.

Advertisement