Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the politics of boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

thegent wrote:
    So, my arguments have been right all along thats all I wanted to know,what people think and if what I think is correct- thank you!

no.
    youre wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

thegent wrote:
    I like to read through the posts on this site and would like to know what you all think of the politics of this site.
    The Moderators/Administrators seem to be on some sort of power trip cutting in on interesting debates like fascists treating those involved like children telling them that if they 'ever see them doing this again' they will be blacklisted, banned even.
    It reminds me of the Christian Brothers in school.
    Any thoughts or does anyone care.
    I wonder if my post will get through the censors
    So you don't have a problem with the way boards is run any more OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭thegent

Gordon wrote:
    So you don't have a problem with the way boards is run any more OP?
    Obviously I do have a problem but I wanted it to be discussed which it was and I've learned that the site is, in the words of one postee a 'dictatorship' so what can I do? If I want to post here I'll just have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

All that diatribe just because you didn't read the rules? :eek:

For future reference, to have a better chance of being taken seriously in a discussion/debate I would advise using the keyboard, and the english language the way it was intended.

This
    thegent wrote:
    So, my arguments have been right all along thats all I wanted to know,what people think and if what I think is correct- thank you!
    would make more grammatical sense if it was written as:

So my arguments were correct all along. I just wanted to know what people thought of this boards rules, and if I understood them correctly. Thank you.

This
    thegent wrote:
    So, my arguments have been right all along
    is classic "I was right, so there" :p

thegent wrote:
    Obviously I do have a problem but I wanted it to be discussed which it was and I've learned that the site is, in the words of one postee a 'dictatorship' so what can I do? If I want to post here I'll just have to put up with it.
    Read this

You should have spent time in the Newbie forum anyway when you first joined. It's recommended reading to prevent "Fight the powa" threads similar to this one.

• Advertisement

thegent wrote:
    Congratulations ;)

thegent wrote:

you wanted a discussion and yet you fail to answer any questions.

should i be allowed to swear at you becuase you think we should have some freedom of speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thegent wrote:
    Actually, the keyword is "benevolent". Largely the site is run for the benefit of its users, so user feedback is often listened to. However, if an administrator disagrees with your opinion (as regards the running of the site) then it's put up or shut up.
    Incidentally, no administrator has yet replied on this thread, and I find it unlikely that they will. Most of what has been said to you is what the admins have decided, or what the mods have decided within the powers that the admins allow them.

So, generally yes it is a case of put up or shut up, unless you have a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

thegent wrote:
    thegent, you only signed up not so long ago, we wouldn't expect you to understand it so quickly. Take some more time out and get to know the site. You seem to be learning fast with that attitude though!

:v:

WizZard wrote:
    All that diatribe just because you didn't read the rules? :eek:

For future reference, to have a better chance of being taken seriously in a discussion/debate I would advise using the keyboard, and the english language the way it was intended.

Theres a classic' I can't attack the argument so I'll attack the person'
    This is classic "I was right, so there"

who? you or me? obviously i get confused with English.

• Advertisement

thegent wrote:

who? you or me? obviously i get confused with English.

*yawn*

thegent wrote:

You have enough people picking holes in your (non)argument - you don't need another.

I offered advice on how to make your stay here more enjoyable, and for what you say to be less susceptible to misinterpretation, you are under no obligation to accept or recognise it.

Gordon wrote:
    thegent, you only signed up not so long ago, we wouldn't expect you to understand it so quickly. Take some more time out and get to know the site. You seem to be learning fast with that attitude though!

:v:

That’s true Gordon and truly I don't mean to be a smart ass, I always say that nobody like one but, they really test a man here. I wanted a cool calm discussion I got a bunch of kids. What tactics am I supposed to employ against such foes?

WizZard wrote:
    I offered advice on how to make your stay here more enjoyable, and for what you say to be less susceptible to misinterpretation, you are under no obligation to accept or recognise it.

My apologies, you were getting a little smartassed though.

*yawn*

Maybe you should just go to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

thegent wrote:
    What tactics am I supposed to employ against such foes?
    tinhatani.gif

thegent wrote:
    Maybe you should just go to sleep.

indeed. your lack of debating ability has certainly tired me out.

but you know, if you arent going to add anything further to this thread, you should probably just leave.

indeed. your lack of debating ability has certainly tired me out.

but you know, if you arent going to add anything further to this thread, you should probably just leave.

I did try to leave when my arugments were validated but i got pulled back in again. What you fail to realise is that all the rubbush arguments are coming from you! I started this thread which you seem to love writing on so much-remember?

If you keep on saying I have no debating ability it may come true, you never know whitewash.

Now if you don't mind..
    I believe it's past your bedtime

thegent wrote:
    I did try to leave when my arugments were validated
    What arguments, and where were they validated?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

thegent wrote:
    nonsense, in your world then,Iran is one model, USA another, N.Korea another, none are any better than the other just find one that suits you and live there, I say again, nonsense!
    I was talking about how to choose from the myriad of bulletin boards that you freely have at your fingertips, not how to choose which country is the best place to live. Say nonsense all you like, but I wouldn't be directing it at the logic I've been using if your holding your own up against it as a benchmark.
    so your saying that the moderaters should not act in a professional manner out of some sense of duty, more nonsense
    I said proactive. I'm not aware of any common-usage definition of the term which equates that with unprofessional, so nonsense is indeed what we have here. Its just not mine.
    go back and read bonkey I never said it was unreasonable for the mods to complain, you're just quoting out of context.
    I wasn't quoting out of context. I asked a question, as indicated by my use of a question-mark. You chose to interepret a question as a statement of fact, which is neither my concern nor my fault.
    Obviously I feel it was unfair, that is my opinion isn't that what this is all about opinions and the feedom to express them?
    I also agree with Ghost Rider his thread did warrant political discussion.
    I should stop doing this, but I'll try one last time : Could you please address the issue of why you think this is so, rather than blindly repeating ad nauseum nothing but your belief that this is the case.

Thats what I asked. Not whether or not you feel its unfair, but why you feel its unfair.

even used italics last time too.

I see now that you've decided you were right about everything all along now that people have clarified that the boards dont work the way you thought they should, were never intended to, and aren't going to change to be the way you think they should be.

It probably means you'll want to put the above questions with all the others you've avoided answering. Thats ok. I didn't really expect to get an answer anyway...just more avoidance. Its a conspiracy you see. WWM, myself, Wizzard and a handful of others are swapping PMs behind your back, discussing how best to distract you from the real issues so that you don't spread the word about how abusive and horrible moderators are. We've even got someone faking old entries on the site on demand so we can link you to them if necessary. Bet you really believed that Newbie forum existed before today 'n all.
    I did try to leave when my arugments were validated

Your arguments weren't validated. You were shown to have formed your arguments based on a set of faulty premises, which means they cannot be valid.

Your observations of the how may have been accurate, but your understanding of the why has been shown to have been utterly lacking. Oh look. its that 'why' word again. Tough one.

Anyway, to conclude... your arguments couldn't have been validated. They were shown to be inapplicable and irrelevant.

But if you feel happier....go right ahead and believe you were right. Its your opinion and I believe you should have both the freedom to hold it and the freedom to share it.

jc

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:
    This site has never claimed to be a democracy - in fact it is oft quoted that it is a "benevolent dictatorship".
    "If you don't like it, then leave"

You validated it there, ok! boards.ie not a democracy in fact its oft quoted as a 'benevolent dictatorship'
    thank you! as far as I'm concerned my concerns were validated, which they obviously were.
    So, just because you write back asking some pointless question quoting out of context, getting the last word doesn't mean you won or whatever you think it will achieve.
    Good Day.Sirs and whitewash!

thegent wrote:
    You validated it there, ok!
    Please don't misquote me. Either leave the full quote in, complete, or put in an ellipsis to show that you have removed something.
    I did not tell you to leave, I pointed out that your attitude was one to which that kind of a response was likely.

And see bonkey's post above for a much clearer explanation than I could give about why you had no argument in the first place.

thegent wrote:

Now if you don't mind..
    I believe it's past your bedtime
    thegent wrote:

oh dear, youre just not on a winner today, are you?

crikey, zings all over the place.

and you still actually havent answered most of the questions ive asked you, so if you want to prove your debating skills, then feel free to answer my points, otherwise, youre wasting bandwidth.

otherwise, youre wasting bandwidth.

And that's just not tolerated around here, is it ;)

jc

bonkey wrote:
    And that's just not tolerated around here, is it ;)

jc

no, nor are you allowed to discuss it under this ferocious dictatorship....

Right then. Fine. I'll go to the pub instead.

In one of my posts I stated

'Other sites, admittedly foreign ones, allow much more freedom of speech'

you replied

bonkey wrote:
    And others provide less, and each finds their audience. None of which suggests one model is better or worse than another, just different.

Since we are talking about politics/treatment of people, freedom of speech etc.. I compared your nonsensical comment about different forums to countries, where you said the politics of one forum are the same as the other I said, that’s like saying the politics of one country are the same as another (hence Iran, USA, N.Korea etc..) just find one that suits.

bonkey wrote:
    I said proactive.

You described the over zealous attitude of some moderators as proactive saying that they should be a little more aggressive in their handling of people out of duty
    I called this behaviour unprofessional and rightly so.

So what? It was ok to start a thread for posters to complain about mods, but when the mods complain back its unreasonable? .

You say I mistook your question about the mods for a statement, If that’s a question its a rhetorical one either that or you pressed ? instead of !
    Could you please address the issue of why you think this is so, rather than blindly repeating ad nauseum nothing but your belief that this is the case.

I believe it should have stayed in politics because I believe it's a political debate what more can I say. If I think that this site dislikes pro-republican arguments or cuts in on people in mid-argument for no apparent reason then I think I'm not far wrong to assume that there is some political agenda here
    Your arguments weren't validated.

I believe they were
    WizZard wrote:
    This site has never claimed to be a democracy - in fact it is oft quoted that it is a "benevolent dictatorship".
    QUOTE]
    One of your cohorts said this if that’s not validation I don't know what is.
    A dictatorship has political problems - end of story.

But I do agree with you on one point whitewash was wrong to say I waste bandwidth and if I may.. he's been very incoherent today he needs rest

Now I have to go look at a house I've been here all day

Good day.

thegent wrote:

But I do agree with you on one point whitewash was wrong to say I waste bandwidth and if I may.. he's been very incoherent today he needs rest

and yet i still wait for your answers to my very simple questions.

it seems you cant find any.

perhaps you may find one in one of the houses you visit?

but i dont believe he was referring to me.

after all, you are the one that said you were wrong earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What a waste of electrons.

• Advertisement

thegent wrote:
    One of your cohorts said this if that’s not validation I don't know what is.
    I have cohorts? Cool! ;) Do I get an evil lair too?
    thegent wrote:
    A dictatorship has political problems - end of story.
    Another unfounded generalisation? Come on, if you've learned anything in this thread then I think it has to be that you should back up statements with facts. As bonkey put it, the why?.

Advertisement