Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the politics of boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Who tf rated this 5 star? Demoting...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Trojan wrote:
    Who tf rated this 5 star? Demoting...
    That'd be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

'Other sites, admittedly foreign ones, allow much more freedom of speech'

I dont know what your pissing and moaning about, your free to discuss what you want. just in a different board to where you started the thread. most other sites i've been on when they move your thread they don't even leave a redirect.

this thread is a load of bollix to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!
    DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
    ARTHUR: Shut up!
    DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
    ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
    DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you hear that, did you hear
    that, eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing
    me, you saw it didn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I've always had freedom of speech here.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

thegent wrote:
    Since we are talking about politics/treatment of people, freedom of speech etc.. I compared your nonsensical comment about different forums to countries,

But why was my comment nonsensical? Are you not free to choose to go and post on politics.ie rather than on boards.ie? Are stormfronters not free to choose to go and post on the various stormfront sites? Are Republicans not free to run their sites the way they see fit?

There is no pressure on you to choose a board or forum in which to participate. This is unlike a nation scenario, where you don't have quite the same freedom to decide "I don't want to live in country X, even though thats where I'm currently being oppressed".

The choice of bbs in which to participate is yours to make, and no-one can interfere with that. If you don't like a bbs, you can just walk away from it. If no bbs exists which is run the wya you feel a bbs should be run, you're free to start your own.
    that’s like saying the politics of one country are the same as another (hence Iran, USA, N.Korea etc..) just find one that suits.

Sure.

So what you're saying is that if you're being oppressed in Iran, you can just walk out of jail, leave the country, move to whatever nation you prefer, and hey...if that nation doesn't exist, you're free to create a nation of your own.

This is the comparison you are suggesting, whilst calling mine ridiculous.

I'll leave it to the reader (should one still exist) at this point to decide which of our stances has merit.

Until you learn how to apply the concept of Freedom of Speech to the general (the internet) where it belongs, and not the specific where it has no real place (privately owned boards.ie), its pointless discussing the point further with you.
    You described the over zealous attitude of some moderators as proactive
    No, I didn't. I described some actions of some moderators as proactive. You have yet to make a case - other than insisting "this is so" - that it was over-zealous.
    I called this behaviour unprofessional and rightly so.
    You described behaviour, and called it unprofessional. YOu didn't explain why. Now you've decided it was unprofessional because it was over-zealous. Why was it over-zealous.

There I go again, asking why, when I know the (non-)answer.

"Because I believe it is"
    You say I mistook your question about the mods for a statement, If that’s a question its a rhetorical one either that or you pressed ? instead of !
    If I made a mistake - as I've already shown on this thread (as well as others) - I'm well capable of admitting it.

So unless you're going to call me a liar, I'd suggest that you believe me when I tell you I was asking a question and not making a statement.
    I believe it should have stayed in politics because I believe it's a political debate what more can I say.
    You can explain why you believe itys a political debate, ideally using an answer which involves more than a statement which can be reduced to "because I do".

Thats whats more you can say. It would answer the question rather than just repeating the response which led to the question in the first place.

All joking and arguing aside...you do realise that Political debate typically centres around discussing the why of things. Insisting repeatedly that the only answer is "because thats what I believe" only serves to show that the question was not political, because you aren't able to discuss the political aspect of it.
    If I think that this site dislikes pro-republican arguments or cuts in on people in mid-argument for no apparent reason ...
    The reasons are self=apparent. We have rules, and they were judged to have been broken. So far I've seen you post some comments from mods, but avoided providing detail about what it was they were commenting on, so its impossible from what you've added here for anyone to objectively consider your claims.
    ...then I think I'm not far wrong to assume that there is some political agenda here
    But there are other explanations. Some have been offered to you, and you've generally dismissed them on the "thats not what I believe" basis. So what you now have is a situation where there are several possible reasons why a moderator could have done what they did, and you have chosen one "because I believe it".

Once again, the why is missing. Why do you believe this. There are multiple possible explanations to the actions, and you steadfastly refuse to discuss why you believe your explanation is the most likely, despite being asked time and time and time again.

What does that say to others about your argument, especially when it is those who disagree with you who are literally begging you to explain your reasoning. I want to discuss the why, because underneath it all I believe you may have a point (albeit an overstated one), but the more you refuse to engage me, the more and more and more it appears that you don't have a point, nor an argument, nor a case to make....just a belief.
    I believe they were
    Should the defence rest its case here, m'Lud?

This isn't religion, where "I just do" is an acceptable answer to "why do you believe". This - according to you - is political. So why do you believe? Explain the politics of your belief. Show that you could have held your own had this thread remained where you believed it should have.

Show that you can discuss the politics rather than just make empty claims taht it is political.
    WizZard wrote:
    A dictatorship has political problems - end of story.
    You run your personal life by democracy, do you? Have a vote with some others every time you need to do something to see if its acceptable?

Or are you saying that you too have political problems, as you run your own life as a dictatorship, where you make the decisions and its not democratic in nature?

Given that you feel boards.ie is somehow wrong to be run as a dictatorship, because of the political problems it causes....does this not suggest that you run your life the wrong way, because of the political problems it causes?

And remember...you said end of story. All I'm doing is believing you without question. Are you going to contradict yourself now and tell me that its not really end of story, because your logic only applies in certain situations?

jc

That last quote is misapplied. It wasn't from Wizzard, but from thegent.

Apologies, but the firewall I'm behind isnt letting me edit posts. Weird...I know...but I can't fix this till this evening.

Apologies to both WiZZard and thegent for any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hehe, /me stops mounting high horse. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

bonkey wrote:
    That last quote is misapplied. It wasn't from Wizzard, but from thegent.

Apologies, but the firewall I'm behind isnt letting me edit posts. Weird...I know...but I can't fix this till this evening.

Apologies to both WiZZard and thegent for any confusion.
    I'll edit it for you jc. Just PM me your password.:D

lol.

How kind of you Hobart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ffs jc can you ever express yourself in anything less than the bloody equivalent of a War and Peace type response !!!

Oh and fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

thegent wrote:
    would like to know what you all think of the politics of this site.

I think you have your answer. It might not be the one you were hoping for, but you can see the majority of th people here have no great problem with the way Boards.ie is run, or the "politics" (what ever that means) behind it.

I think it has also been established that most people are happy with the mods, and the way they run each forum. In my experience if you stay on point, don't post pointless threads, don't be abusive etc you will get on fine.

I my years of experience (:cool:) on Boards.ie the vast majority of threads that are closed are closed because the discussion is going no where. If arguments are just being posted over and over again this is pointless (or if people are discussion something again that was recently discussed to death) People may be annoyed that their posts are stops or threads block, but remember this is a discussion board, these post are supposed to be read by other people The Mods have to make sure that the Boards database doesn't fill up with threads that say nothing about nothing and add nothing to debate on topics.

gandalf wrote:
    ffs jc can you ever express yourself in anything less than the bloody equivalent of a War and Peace type response !!!

Someone had to take Occy's position when he left it vacant.

:)

jc

gandalf wrote:

Someone had to take Occy's position when he left it vacant*.

:)

jc

* I'm not suggesting I make a good job of it, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

I saw some guy get a warning because he said that there was a West-British attitude on Boards Politics - that was a bit harsh. Apart from that, no trouble with the mods - except that they keep closing interesting threads (like the Corrs getting MBEs)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Those Cùnts got an MBE!!!

::Furiously jots a letter to the 6 kings of europe!::

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Diorraing wrote:
    I saw some guy get a warning because he said that there was a West-British attitude on Boards Politics - that was a bit harsh.
    A warning was harsh? Is it me, or are skins getting thinner around here?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its a dictatorship, with many delegated to "dictators". Benevolence is the key word though.

Imagine for a second that we are ACTUALLY trying to keep the maximum discussion going here. Some people wont post if the discussion is very "robust" (read: rude/uncivil) so we lose their posts and normally they wont complain, they'll just continue on their way and we'll never know they wanted to post but didnt.

Now imagine that alternatively we are VERY tough with the community. Now, the vocal group will get peeved that they are being restricted. The timid group will post more but we will get tons of complaints from the vocal people who will claim they are being oppressed.

Now consider if there is a happy medium. I'll make it easy for you, there isnt. There is however a point (called the "maxima/minima" in Maths) where the LEAST people are unhappy and therefore the MOST happiness is effected in the forum.

The mods try to walk that line every day, and you simply find yourself in the outlier area of the normal distribution of personalities of posters, you want more robust debate then we feel is good for the POPULATION of the forum. You're looking at it from your point of view only.

Now, if you think this through this is predicated on the presumtion that WE ARE TRYING TO MAXMIMISE discussion, it would look a lot like we were curbing peoples right to speech. We are actually INCREASING the right to air opinions by keeping the offensive and uncivil out of the forum. This way the maximum number of people feel capable of expressing their opinions. But how can YOU be sure of our intentions:

You have to stick around and keep this in mind and remember too that Mods are human, they make mistakes too.

Finally, you don't have universal rights to freedom of speech in most countries, including Ireland. The UN Charter of Human Rights (that I presume you are referring to), contains a caveat that you MAY NOT USE the rights conferred therein to breach any OTHER right in the charter as it applies to other humans.

ie: You're freedom of speech CANNOT be used to breach someone elses freedom to live their life free from persecution. (Its the last right in the list, its worth a read!)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

There you go. Have a read of the last right in there.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

oscarBravo wrote:
    A warning was harsh? Is it me, or are skins getting thinner around here?
    No, I think there are just more of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I saw some guy get a warning because he said that there was a West-British attitude on Boards Politics - that was a bit harsh. Apart from that, no trouble with the mods - except that they keep closing interesting threads (like the Corrs getting MBEs)

Not really, mods are supposed to try and keep threads on topic (whilst allowing for progression in the topic) and complaints about a particular board or mod belong on Feedback or wherever, not on the Politics board. A mod is just doing his/her job in that case. Harsh would have been an instant ban, or perhaps firm but fair depending on your personal reaction to the statement, and that particular posters post history.

And whilst the Corrs MBE thread was truly fascinating*, it was flatlining into "800 years of oppression, rape and murder!!!" tirades which go nowhere. Again a mod doing his/her job. Theres the IRBB for "800 years" tirades.

*Actually I lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

thegent wrote:
    I like to read through the posts on this site and would like to know what you all think of the politics of this site.
    The Moderators/Administrators seem to be on some sort of power trip cutting in on interesting debates like fascists treating those involved like children telling them that if they 'ever see them doing this again' they will be blacklisted, banned even.
    It reminds me of the Christian Brothers in school.

Any thoughts...
    Yes, several.

First off you'll get a load of mods calling you a moaner if you bring this up.

I do agree that we need rules, and there'll alway be idiots trying to cause trouble, but boards.ie is really OTT when it comes to some mods acting like e-parking attendants and relishing the wee bit of power they have.

I'd gladly donate €5+ to boards.ie if it wasn't for the arbitary way threads get closed.

boards.ie is fast becoming stale and irrelevant.

Now we're walkin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Now we're walkin'.

We'll miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I think boards.ie is fine (with the odd unimportant problem). People who say it's the strictest forum they've ever seen either have a skewed view or have been lucky in the past.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Now we're walkin'.

kbye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Politics + Internet = Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Now we're walkin'.

Promise?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i know, if only people could get past the fact that they cant do whatever the hell they want here, we could start to lose these boring and stale threads started by whingin moaning píssants who keep threatening to leave, but never manage to because they feel the need to prove some sort of pathetic point about how they are repressed by some overbearing regeime of powertripping mods.

the whole mod and admin crew try to run this place so that its fun to post here, we get a good range of discussion going and mostly so that everyone has the right to give an opinion., it doesnt always work out like that, but you know what, we never claimed to be perfect or to please all of the people all of the time. and yeah, mods arent always right, but you know what, neither are you.

we are not on a power trip, i do not get a kick of banning people, and i dont not get a kick of out the abuse that i receive daily from ignorant people like yourself coming on here and abusing me simply because you dont agree with something someone did somewhere that really in the whole grand scheme of life, is really unimportant.

i will happily donate and extra 5er a month if you leave now and dont come back.

seriously. all you do is moan. im not happy with this, im not happy with that, youre all boring and you ruin my fun.

well hey, get your books and your bag and fúck off if youre so fúcking upset, instead of coming back here like some masochistic little bítch and continuing your moan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

wwm for feedback mod!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Beruthiel wrote:
    wwm for feedback mod!
    Now that'd be fun to watch.

[Silly Whinging User]: But, like, it's a democracy. I should be allowed free speech. Come on, everyone chime in with an opinion.
    [WWM]: It's not a democracy. Stop this whinging immediately.
    [SWU]: WTF??!?!?!?!?!?! It is a democracy - everywhere is. Why isn't it? I'm gonna change it. Set my people free!
    [WWM]: Oh noes, the users are revolting. Release the hounds.
    *BAN* *BAN*

----FIN----

Do you think I have too much time on my hands today?

Advertisement