Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the politics of boards.ie

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

boards.ie is fast becoming stale and irrelevant.

Now we're walkin'.

bstats8xq.png

Yeah- you're 100% right. Look at our members flee. Word must have gotten around that you don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

WizZard wrote:
    users are revolting. [/size]

Users are always revolting, only this time they're rebelling as well.

Note to the outraged: I am not a mod.

jc

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yes, several.

First off you'll get a load of mods calling you a moaner if you bring this up.

I do agree that we need rules, and there'll alway be idiots trying to cause trouble, but boards.ie is really OTT when it comes to some mods acting like e-parking attendants and relishing the wee bit of power they have.

I'd gladly donate €5+ to boards.ie if it wasn't for the arbitary way threads get closed.

boards.ie is fast becoming stale and irrelevant.

Now we're walkin'.
    suckstobeyou.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

bonkey wrote:
    Note to the outraged: I am not a mod.

jc

Splitter !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

i will happily donate and extra 5er a month if you leave now and dont come back.
    sitebans, SITEBANS - Get yer sitebans 'ere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CuLT wrote:
    suckstobeyou.gif

Lol - seriously class picture

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

i will happily donate and extra 5er a month if you leave now and dont come back.

seriously. all you do is moan. im not happy with this, im not happy with that, youre all boring and you ruin my fun.

well hey, get your books and your bag and fúck off if youre so fúcking upset, instead of coming back here like some masochistic little bítch and continuing your moan.
    If any user used the language you just used above they’d get a siteban. Thank you for proving my point.

Read my original post. It is not abusive and it’s I make the point that mods in general do a good job and there is always the need to ban the occasional idiot.

Whereas you seem to have just gone off on one and it says more about you than me.

Now ‘oh mighty whitewashman’, I’m not the only person bringing into question the judgement of certain mods on here. I didn’t start this thread and I won’t be the first or last to bring it up either. Does that make us all ‘ignorant’ and ‘masochistic little bítches’ in your books? Probably so.

I have a golden rule on here. I don’t say anything on-line that I wouldn’t say to someone face-to-face in real life, or be prepared to account for in real-life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If any user used the language you just used above they’d get a siteban. Thank you for proving my point.
    I implore you to find just *one* example of a user being sitebanned for nothing more than using bad language. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

DublinWriter? Sorry, I thought you had gone. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

DublinWriter? Sorry, I thought you had gone

I had a dream. It's all shattered now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Shabadu wrote:
    DublinWriter? Sorry, I thought you had gone. :confused:

he talks the talk but won't walk the walk

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

*weeps uncontrollably*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I have a golden rule on here. I don’t say anything on-line that I wouldn’t say to someone face-to-face in real life, or be prepared to account for in real-life.

and i would also say it to your face.

whats your point?

blah blah blah blah wah wah wah wah

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

It is not abusive and it’s I make the point that mods in general do a good job and there is always the need to ban the occasional idiot.

Abusive idiots aren't the only type of idiots.....apparently.
    Whereas you seem to have just gone off on one and it says more about you than me.
    Suuuuuure it does.
    I’m not the only person bringing into question the judgement of certain mods on here.
    There's at least one other poster who took a grievance against the politics mods at almost exactly teh same time as you who's on your side.
    Does that make us all ‘ignorant’ and ‘masochistic little bítches’ in your books? Probably so.
    The masochist ranks are limited to people who tell the rest of us how painfully bad boards is, but who insist on staying. If thats not who you mean by "us all"....

jc

I have a golden rule on here. I don’t say anything on-line that I wouldn’t say to someone face-to-face in real life, or be prepared to account for in real-life.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Taken from amp's guide to boards. It basically explains all that needs to be explained and more. So can this thread now be put to rest, its boring the hell out of me
    amp wrote:
    DEATHGIVER2003: Ah c'mon, surely going off-topic shouldn't be that big a deal.

amp: Well it's not that big a deal, you're right. And the occasional drift is usually ok. But imagine if everyone went off-topic on a board. It'd be chaos, there'd be loads of boards with random conversations and there'd be no point in having the structure we do. And the heirarchial structure of boards.ie is part of the reason behind it's success. People know they can go to All Things Retro and have a conversation about lego and find other people who loved/love lego. They know they can go to Soccer and not expect a thread about Counter-Strike.

DEATHGIVER2003: Some moderators can be heavy handed though, they can go to far with their banning and editing and stuff.

amp: Yeah, moderators aren't perfect. They can have mood swings like most people. But generally moderators are only entrusted with a board if they prove to not be muppet (I am a notable exception in this case ) and there have been a couple of cases were a moderator has had their moderatorship removed.

A moderators job is to keep order in a board. Their prime directive is to allow civilised on-topic conversation to happen. Sometimes a moderator will have to get tough with people and make a few examples to return a board to order. Mostly this is done for the good of the board in question.

We currently have a few boards (mostly in the Society Section) where highly emotive subjects are discussed. These are very hard boards to moderate as members tempers can quickly flair and fights sometimes have to be broken up. So they tend to have more moderators than most they can seem very harsh sometimes.

DEATHGIVER2003: So what do I do if I feel a moderator is being unfair towards me?

amp: Well, the first thing not to do is argue with the moderator on the thread in question. The first thing you should do is relax, take deep breaths and re-read what happened. Posting in anger is never a good idea at anytime. When you're angry or upset you're not thinking straight. It's like ringing an ex when your drunk; you'll only regret it afterwards.
    Another question you should ask yourself is "Am I taking this too seriously?" The Feedback/Suggestions board gets a lot of people posting about their outrage at the actions of moderator. Often, the person starting the thread becomes a target for veteran members to make fun of because of the relative triviality of the complaint.
    Now of course the Admins would want to make the point that all complaints would at least be listened to. And almost always they make their opinion known and will act accordinly if need be. But their time is limited. They have jobs to do, real-lives(tm) to lead so posting or pming an Admin should be seen as a last resort.
    Try pm'ing the moderator and try to understand the issue from the moderators point of view. After all the moderator will more than likely have been reading that board longer than you and therefore should have a better idea than you about what's acceptable behaviour. This isn't elitism, this isn't the "in-crowd" enforcing their will, this is the way boards is run.

DEATHGIVER2003: Sounds like a dictatorship to me.

amp: The official line on this is that yes, boards is a benevolant dictatorship. And this is the way it has to be currently. Unlike a real-life(tm) country the equipment that runs boards.ie is owned by a private entity, not the general population of boards. But unlike a real-life(tm) dictatorship the people do have a voice. If a general consensus happens on a particular issue then normally it's acted upon, if possible. If you've got a good idea about changes to boards.ie post them to Feedback/Suggestions.

DEATHGIVER2003: What about freedom of speech? And what's the deal with the censor, I mean it's easily bypassed?

amp: The laws of freedom of speech and how they apply to sites on the internet are still a grey area. On boards.ie freedom of expression is generally applied except when an opinion breaks general anti-social rules like racism, sexism etc. Again, imagine a situation in real-life(tm) where you went up to a group of people to spout off some racist diatribe. You'd probably start a fight.

Talking about how to do illegal things is also usually restricted. An example of this is in Games were the moderators stamp out talk of warezed games with ferocity. Why? Because A: Copying games is illegal and B: Boards.ie could technically be shut down by the Garda for allowing illegal activities to take place. And if comes to a choice between Harry Homeowner being able to play The Sims for free or keeping Boards.ie running it becomes a bit of a no-brainer.

The single biggest threat to boards.ie and indeed any bulletin board is a big assed lawsuit. Apart from a server which is worth relatively little, boards.ie as a company has virtually no assets. So a lawsuit could kill it.

That's also why the censor is in place. There's ways round the censor but at least boards.ie can be seen to have done everything in it's power to prevent certain language being said.

Now, alongside this there seems to be a phenomenom on boards.ie which normally involves the Set My People Free phrase being said. There seems to be a growing number of people who want to fight the power for the sake of fighting the power. These rebellious newcomers just seem to have an irrational hatred of anyone in a position of authority

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

seamus wrote:
    I implore you to find just *one* example of a user being sitebanned for nothing more than using bad language. Seriously.

Fùck. Fùck. Fùck.
    Mother mother fùck. Mother mother fùck fùck. Mother fùck mother fùck.
    Noise noise noise.
    1 2 1 2 3 4
    Noise noise noise.
    Smokin weed, smokin weed.
    Doin' coke, drinkin beers.
    Drinkin beers, beers beers.
    Rollin' fatties, smokin blunts.
    Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts.
    Rollin' blunts and smokin um'
    <>
    15 bucks, little man, put that **** in my hand.
    If that money doesn't show then you owe me owe me owe.
    My jungle love.
    Oh e oh e oh.
    I think I wanna know ya know ya ... yeah, what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

What the hell have you been smoking?
    Edit: at Asok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

I think to solve all this hassle, there should be a new forum inside after hours where people can have a discussions about anything and can say anything they want as long as its not talking about something illegal

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its called The Thunderdome, anyone can go in there and there are no rules but the countries laws.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeVore wrote:
    Its called The Thunderdome, anyone can go in there and there are no rules but the countries laws.

DeV.

its called q1dm3....

not that youd know anything about it anymore......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

link :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Advertisement