Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noonan and hoodies

Options
  • 09-11-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭

I have a vague recollection of hearing a news report on Q102 about Michael Noonan proposing that shops ban people wearing hoodies. I'm not looking for a debate on that, I am looking to see does anyone know if I even heard right. Anyone got a link to a news story on this? Can't find it on unison, examiner or RTE sites or in the morning Indo/mid-morning Herald.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

MYOB wrote:
    I have a vague recollection of hearing a news report on Q102 about Michael Noonan proposing that shops ban people wearing hoodies. I'm not looking for a debate on that, I am looking to see does anyone know if I even heard right. Anyone got a link to a news story on this? Can't find it on unison, examiner or RTE sites or in the morning Indo/mid-morning Herald.

Hears something about this last week, but I thought it was in the UK.

My view is that it is pointless, and will ultimately end up alienating young people even more from the authorities.

I would imagine only a handful of youths actually wear hoodies to hide their faces from cameras. Remembering my time as a teenager, I would imagine the majority wear them as a social sheild that makes themselves feel better about the embarrashing elements of teenage-life (same reasons some teenagers wear all black, or completely cover themselves up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Think it's an absolutely stupid idea but was positioned at an opportunistic time for politica gain... so full points for that. I was wearing a hoodie today in a shopping centre.... if I was asked to leave, they'd be loosing out in the long term as i'd never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

MYOB wrote:

Here you go http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=162012174&p=y6zxyz88x&n=162012934

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Hopefully this will not get into their programme for government.

Enda might mention it in his Ard Fheis speech on Saturday night in Millstreet.

He might even be wearing a hoodie.

It is about time Michael Noonan came up with better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

In fairness he said that premises should be able to ask patrons to put down their hoods (not take off their hoodies), just as couriers are oftern asked to remove their helmet. It would be up to the premises whether they would want to implement the policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

But he said: “Rather than the banning of the garment as such, I don’t have a problem with people indoors being asked not to have their hood up in the same way as you would do with a motorcycle helmet.”

To be fair, that is a good idea.

I think now that we have the facts, we can put away fairly alarmist comments about banning people weairing hoodies and being throw out of shops for it. I sometimes wear a hoodie, especially in this weather, and I can't find anything wrong with what Mr. Noonan is saying. All that's being proposed is that people take down their hoods while inside.

I think now that we have the facts, we can put away fairly alarmist comments about banning people weairing hoodies and being throw out of shops for it. I sometimes wear a hoodie, especially in this weather, and I can't find anything wrong with what Mr. Noonan is saying. All that's being proposed is that people take down their hoods while inside.

I would agree I wear hoodies sometimes and would have no problem if there was a sign in a shop saying please take your hood down while in here! Anyway I don't have the hood up indoors it doesn't tend to rain much there :)

The owner of a shop has already that right.

So Mr. Noonans comments were pretty un-necessary.

Maybe hoddies are a problem in Limerick.

What will he be calling for next - fashion police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

if hoods are a hindrance to catching shoplifters, is it not logical to make people remove them as they enter shops, it's hardly inconvenient to do so.

• Advertisement

Cork wrote:
    What will he be calling for next - fashion police?

I don't know you might be onto something there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

I don't know you might be onto something there ;)
    First they should ban those damn cotton tracksuit bottoms that women wear, they look like pyjamas.

Nice to know that all the important problems in Ireland have been solved, and politicians now only have to worry about this sort of insignificant bs.

Nice to know that all the important problems in Ireland have been solved, and politicians now only have to worry about this sort of insignificant bs.

LOL ... Metros and hoodies .. the government is earning very penny ... :D

Somebody could tell Micheal Noonan - If he came up with a few policies it would be more to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Cork wrote:

Whats that supposed to mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Does anyone know if its true that the Dundrum shopping centre doesn't allow people with their caps peaked? Not "peaked caps" as such, but caps peaked at a high angle if you understand me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cork wrote:
    Those bricklayers are a menace to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

in the dail he said referring to a hoodies side effect of blocking a face from a cctv camera there was a need for "ingenius technical methods" (afair) to be employed to overcome this problem

what the hell does he mean?

a waste of dail time :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

MYOB wrote:
    You can listen to the words of the bald eagle himself here - seemed like a shot at earning some quick publicity to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

If hoodies are to be banned in shopping centres because it blocks cctv from identifying the person, shouldn't muslim women who wear veils and old ladies that wear scarfs around their head be banned from wearing them in shopping centres also.
    If not it proves young people are being discriminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If not it proves young people are being discriminated

I'd say yes, if the same proportion of muslim women and old ladies in scarfs were found to be shoplifting, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I hear that a lot of shoplifters wear runners to help them escape quickly - Can we ban runners too? Maybe we should bring our slippers when shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Now - I usually dont have any time for baldy Noonan.

But in this case, I heard him being interviewed yesterday about it. Initially he made a comment about hoodies to his local newspaper and from there I think it was the Examiner which gave it national attention.

What he said was, that having looked at some survey or other, that he would like to let the retailers know that if they asked the hoodies to take down their hoods that the majorrity of the public would support them.

He didnt want it to be blown out of proportion. There should be discretion in the implementation.

Lets face it - its usually fairly obvious if someone is not going to be a nuisance.

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Amazing! Its sad that labour have aligned themselves with these monkeys. Looks like another term for FF/PDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I hear that a lot of shoplifters wear runners to help them escape quickly - Can we ban runners too? Maybe we should bring our slippers when shopping?

Hmm, now nowhere did I imply the assumption was correct. I just pointed it out with regard to the "young people are being discriminated against" style argument..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Paddyo wrote:
    Now - I usually dont have any time for baldy Noonan.

But in this case, I heard him being interviewed yesterday about it. Initially he made a comment about hoodies to his local newspaper and from there I think it was the Examiner which gave it national attention.

He didnt want it to be blown out of proportion. There should be discretion in the implementation.

edit ah found it, it was Deputy Mr O'Shea from Tramore Lab, , quoted it wrong yesterday. he still a utter idiot

"The issue of so-called hoodies also requires urgent attention. Many members of the community wear hoods so that there are difficulties in making it illegal to wear them where they are obviously being used to frustrate identification in situations where crimes are being committed or where there are breaches of public order. These hoods, which are as effective as balaclavas, also significantly reduce the effectiveness of CCTV. Ingenious measures are urgently required to curb hoodie activity which is a particularly intimidating and frightening aspect of crime and anti-social behaviour."

uses the phrase "the hoodie culture"

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20051103.xml&Node=H12-1#H12-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

BuffyBot wrote:
    I'd say yes, if the same proportion of muslim women and old ladies in scarfs were found to be shoplifting, etc..

Did anyone see the Piers Morgan's Sky One program about a month ago, "When Hoodies Attack"? They went to the first shopping centre in England to implement the ban, and they got a hooded monk to wander around it and he actually went to a sports shop and bought a hoodie and nothing was said to him. I suppose it's like all security matters - discretion on the part of the security staff is the key- statistically it is more likely that a youngster with a hood up indoors is up to mischief in comparison with a Franciscan monk, old lady or muslim woman.

The hoodies themselves aren't the problem, it's the scumbags under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,968 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Quote:But he said: "Rather than the banning of the garment as such, I don’t have a problem with people indoors being asked not to have their hood up in the same way as you would do with a motorcycle helmet."

Yeah, why should bikers be the only ones presumed to be criminals? :rolleyes:

It's a right PITA when a petrol station asks you to remove your helmet when paying, especially if you wear glasses. Some places even insist that ALL motorcyclists pay in full before they'll turn the pump on. A bike isn't like a car, you can't just stick 20 or 30 euro in, the tank is small so you have to fill it and you won't know how much it'll take exactly. Also, one guy in a car can steal a lot more fuel than a few bikes can. But it's easier to operate on prejudice and small, easily targeted groups, right?

This s**te about hooodies is exactly the same.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of that ad currently running for insurance of something where the skanger goes into a corner shop and the man and woman running the place follow him around like he is about to steal something. As they follow him out, the nice old lady also in the shop rushes round, opens the register and helps her self to the contents :D

If you focus your security simply on one stereotype of who you think will rob you you are just asking to get robbed.

Advertisement