Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing Eircom supplied Netopia 3347NWG

• 09-11-2005 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Has anybody tried to flash this device with a non-eircom version of the firmware?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

It can be done through the routers config?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have idly searched a few times, googled it a fair bit and found diddly. Let me know if you find out how. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thanks for the replies.

So, looks like nobody has done this then?

Obviously, the option is there on the Netopia web interface to upload an image from the browsing PC. I could download a standard image from the Netopia website and see if it excepts it, but I haven't tried this yet. I haven't done this because it may wipe the current settings, not all of which I know. Particularly the password used for the DSL side of things, which was setup by Eircom before the router arrived. Is this a standard password for all Eircom customers? Has anybody actually seen if the device will accept the non-Eircom image?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i presume it will. generally what happens with these is that the program gets copied into RAM just before you flash the device so it then restarts with the new program instantly.

out of interest, why did eircom net tell you your password? surely you'd have to know if you decided to use a different DSL Router.

If they told me then I haven't found it yet. I'm not saying they're keeping it secret, just that it was never mentioned. The router is set to log in as eircom@eircom.net with some password.

When I upload the image it's going to have to check if it's valid for the device. It may reject a non-eircom image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

its the same password for everyone.
    also you can find all the settings here
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net

Yeah, that's what I figured, thanks Joe.

Okay, I flashed it with the standard 1.5 version from the Netopia website. This worked, and the router now reports its firmware version as 1.5.

However, it still has Eircom branding and all the menus look exactly as they were before. I've only found one new option, and I can't even say for sure that it wasn't there before.

So much for that idea!

Advertisement