Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal to Sign Torres

• 09-11-2005 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Is it just crap from the Sun or could there be possibly truth to it. Hes a wonderfull player with great potential. They signed Reyes in the January transfer window 2 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Two words... The Sun. Discussion over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Do Arsenal have the money for Torres?
    He wouldn't come cheap.

Arsenal have plenty of money (£30m+ last summer and will increase because of the sale of Vieira, more money coming in over time and the lack of other players bought). There were rumours that Wenger made a last ditch attempt to sign him in August but you would never know what to believe. As soon as I see it's from a tabloid i completely disregard the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Typical Sun BS me reckons.

Did anyone else see the story in The Mirror last week about Glen Johnson being heavily linked with Athletico Bilbao? This despite the fact they havent signed a non-Basque player in almost 70 years...

Also, The Mirror attributed a quote to David o'Leary yesterday about Milan Baros that was made during the last international break and tried to pass it off as new...

I don't read sports sections of newspapers anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

HAHAHAHA!

No chance. Chelsea will get involved, price will skyrocket. I know arsenal have money, but Arsene doesn't seem like the type to blow 20-30 mil on one player.. The only thing that would attract Torres to Arsenal is the fact that Fabregas and Reyes are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I have heard that rumour before! Arsenal are heavily in debt from there new stadium afaik! But Torres is a very,very good player and I fear that for Arsenal if he was to move they could be outbid for his signature! Wait if he is Spanish maybe Liverpool can try and ................ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

nah, if liverpool bought him he would just become another morientes.

please liverpool, stop buying good spanish players and making them poo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Chelsea are after him aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

At first I dismissed this as cock, but thinking about it I came up with these posiblities

1)Henry has continiously said that he wants to stay are Arsenal but recently wants the club to bring in more "World Class" players. Is this a signing to appease the captain and make him see Arsenal's intent in becoming one of the worlds best clubs like Milan, Munich, Barca

2)It may be a back up plan in case Henry fecks off to Barca in the summer. Give him a few months to play the Arsenal style and learn english football.

3)Reyes was bought to a view of being a striker but he is clearly not 8 assists so far this season though which is very good. But he aint no goal scorer

4)We have shown expecially when Henry was out injured that there isnt another natural goal scorer in the team. Its Bergkamps last year and Reyes is a winger. Although Van Persie has shown a lot of promise a 3rd strkier would be needed in case one of them was out.

So there you go. It would be a great buy. I ****ing love him but I dont know. If Arsenal get involved the bid will be hijacked by someone else. Dont think it would be Chelsea as they have 3 strikers on the bench anyway so why add another! Torres would be wary of that.

Then again it is the Sun so teh whole thing might be cock, but Arsenal do have the money for the deal 20-24million would secure his signature.

Better keep an eye out if other papers/websites follow this up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4414826.stm

They are also interested in Kuyt. Looks like they are definately after a striker of some sort. A plan B type as well! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

According to The Sun, Wenger was only there to watch Hossam Ghaly as a possible replacement for Vieira.

Therefore, using the opposite to what The Sun say, he must indeed have been watching Dirk Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

mmm torres.Hes a good player alright.

So are the rumours true about robben wanting to leave chelsea then?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    According to The Sun, Wenger was only there to watch Hossam Ghaly as a possible replacement for Vieira.

Therefore, using the opposite to what The Sun say, he must indeed have been watching Dirk Kuyt.
    There was another story running with Kuyt saying Wenger told Feyenoord's chairman that he was watching Kuyt. I notice Torres has been sporadically linked to Arsenal for quite a while, it reminds me of how Reyes was monitored for about a year and a half before he was signed. A guy I was talking to a few weeks back said that he chatted to Steve Bould at an Arsenal youth game and that Bould said they were aiming to sign a particular young player in Spain, bigger than Reyes, in January. Ahh, god bless the rumour mill! :p

I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger is interested but whether he comes is another matter. Either way it looks like Wenger is looking for another striker which is good news. IIRC the Arsenal AGM reported that there was a surplus of £57m in funds which were available to Wenger for however he saw fit.

Here's another rumour, it's been doing the rounds today and the beeb have finally picked up on it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4422984.stm
    Arsenal 'agree deal to sign Vela'

Vela scored five goals at the Under-17 World Championships
    Arsenal are to sign Guadalajara's teenage Mexican striker Carlos Vela for a fee of just over £2m, according to reports in his home country.
    Under the terms of the deal Vela would play for Spanish side Valencia until he is 18, when he becomes eligible for a work permit in the United Kingdom.

The 17-year-old's father Enrique told the Mexican media: "These chances appear only once in somebody's life.

"Guadalajara wanted Carlos to stay, but we have reached an amicable agreement."

Vela scored five goals in six matches to help Mexico win the recent Under-17 World Championships in Peru.
    He came to trial at Arsenal a few weeks ago and said he enjoyed the experience, though Wenger said he couldn't sign him for 2 years anyway - the plan to loan him to Valencia for those 2 seasons may have been cooked up in the meantime. The player is apparently extremely highly rated, more so than Mexico's other wonderkid Giovanni Dos Santos (at Barca I think). Apparently he's more of an attacking midfielder/striker than Fabregas, but the similarities to Fabregas as of 2 years ago when he fired Spain to the U17(?) World Cup final are striking. Leo Messi played in this years U17s too and was reportedly out-shone by Vela, so there's talent there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Torres can play in CL , can the others?

Thats gonna rule out a few players.

kdjac

He came to trial at Arsenal a few weeks ago and said he enjoyed the experience, though Wenger said he couldn't sign him for 2 years anyway - the plan to loan him to Valencia for those 2 seasons may have been cooked up in the meantime. The player is apparently extremely highly rated, more so than Mexico's other wonderkid Giovanni Dos Santos (at Barca I think). Apparently he's more of an attacking midfielder/striker than Fabregas, but the similarities to Fabregas as of 2 years ago when he fired Spain to the U17(?) World Cup final are striking. Leo Messi played in this years U17s too and was reportedly out-shone by Vela, so there's talent there.

Looks good.

I have been a bit disapointed by Cesc this season but I have to keep reminding myself that he is still only just 18 and is suffering most from the loss of Vieria.
    Flamini too I thought would have made the big step up to fill his boots but so far have been a bit lacking. Still plenty of time to shine though
    I think some proper competition is needed in CM.
    We should have kept Edu.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Without a doubt we should have kept Edu but hindsight eh its a bitch. Cesc I think has been good this season, remember Arsenal are in transition and as such I amn't expecting much this season.

But I would be extremely happy if we signed Torres :D

Edu wanted to leave so not really much choice there, and his whole 0 appearances for Valencia this season due to injury and better players in the squad fully justified that on his part :rolleyes:

its the Cl this season for Arsenal everything else is secondary thanks to liverpool they only have to win it to get in next season :p

And if they get Torres that would make my bet super happy :D

Btw Tony Adams got his Uefa badge with Feyenoord, wonder if brought Kuyt for a few scoops ;) Kuyt played in UEFA cup so cant play in CL should they get him at Xmas, his price tag dropped from 20 million to 10 also.

kdjac

Edu is out with a long term injury, fat lot of good that would have done us!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Typical Sun BS me reckons.

Did anyone else see the story in The Mirror last week about Glen Johnson being heavily linked with Athletico Bilbao? This despite the fact they havent signed a non-Basque player in almost 70 years...

Surprising nobody has tried to sue Bilbao for ethnic discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

KdjaC wrote:
    Torres can play in CL , can the others?

Thats gonna rule out a few players.

kdjac

I think this could be key. and he would start for sure with Arsenal, no doubts. It will be interesting to see the outcome. I dont read much into any of the tabloid crap either, but they were writing about Reyes 9 months before he signed, so there could be a little truth in it. The worrying aspect would be if chelsea offloaded crespo in Jan, then they would be open to bring him in. but if they dont, it wouldnt make sense for torres to join chelski for a place on the bench....

• Advertisement

Chelsea will sign Adriano, hes a big lad and thats what Mourinho likes.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

Id prefer Torres. Adriano a great player. but if we can sign Torres and keep Henry then roll on ashbourton grove. The key is keeping Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

€89m !!!!! Looks like a chelsea price to me..........

Torres agent denies recent Gunners talks
    10/11/2005 - 11:46:54

Arsenal have not had any contact with Spanish striker Fernando Torres in the last 18 months, according to the player’s agent.

Arsene Wenger is understood to want to bring the 21-year-old Atletico Madrid forward to Highbury next year as the perfect foil for Thierry Henry and Jose Antonio Reyes.

Arsenal scout Steve Rowley was spotted at Atletico’s match against Sevilla last weekend to watch Torres in action but the player’s agent Jose Antonio Martin remains adamant that the two parties have not spoken for a long time.

“The last time I spoke with Arsenal was a year and a half ago,” Martin told Marca.

“As of today, there has been no contact.”

A clause in Torres’ contract will allow him to quit the club for £60m (€89m) and that price may frighten the Londoners into making a move for him.

We could always have a whip round :D

The plot thickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I wouldnt be too worried about that buy out clause. Denilson's was over €50 million when he signed for Betis and now he's playing in the Turkish second division. Torres would be a cracking signing for us. He's great in the air so maybe this is AW's first moves at a plan B?

All Spanish players have to have buyout clauses in their contracts so clubs put stupidly high ones in. I'm sure there's a point to this process but I can't see it. €89m isn't that high for a player like Torres. That said it doesn't mean they'd be looking for €89m for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

No they won't.

Adriano won't be leaving italy anytime soon, he's said so millions of times, he's "in love with inter".

keano_afc wrote:
    I wouldnt be too worried about that buy out clause. Denilson's was over €50 million when he signed for Betis and now he's playing in the Turkish second division. Torres would be a cracking signing for us. He's great in the air so maybe this is AW's first moves at a plan B?

I didn't know bordeaux were a turkish second division team, learn somehting new everyday!

Arsenal could afford Torress, He's a good player but I think atlethico have over valued him for a long time and quoted of "no less than 80 million" were always bs, they were just trying to scare Barce and Real off, If an english or Italian team came in for him 20 million would be enought, you;d probably get some change too.

Cracking player but sometimes very agravating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Turkish second divison....? Denilsons on loan at Bordeaux.
    €89m isn't that high for a player like Torres.
    Yes, yes it is. Unless he single handedly wins the Champions League about 4 times it's rather a lot of money for one player.

Mark wrote:
    Turkish second divison....? Denilsons on loan at Bordeaux.

Yes, yes it is. Unless he single handedly wins the Champions League about 4 times it's rather a lot of money for one player.

I was talking about his buyout clause, not potential transfer fee. People like Raul and Ronaldinho have far higher buyout clauses if I'm not mistaken.

you're right Dr J, infact Leo Messi has (had) the highest buyout in spain for a while, I think it was €150, which is a bit crazy for a 17 year old who at the time was on thier books as an acadmey player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

If you paid £60m for Jesus you'd be overpaying.

Arsenal would never be so stupid as to spend even a third of that on one player unless it was over 5 seasons and tied to them winning a new european super league three season in a row.

That's why I like Arsenal, they're run with intelligence.

They're never going to pay £60m for him, nobody is. It's just his buyout clause which he has to have in his contract by law (if someone can give a reason for this please feel free to share). No La Liga players ever get sold for the price of their buyout clause, I really don't see the point in having a buyout clause if it's going to be €100+.

Seaneh wrote:
    No they won't.

Adriano won't be leaving italy anytime soon, he's said so millions of times, he's "in love with inter".

And did he say this 3 weeks ago when he was shunned by the team and the manager for arrving back late from Brazil? Dropped for 2 or 3 games?

70 million in january to Chelsea ;)

kdjac

• Advertisement

Vela's Arsenal move is confirmed

Mexican club Guadalajara have confirmed that 16-year-old striker Carlos Vela is now an Arsenal player.
    Vela's father Enrique told the Mexican media on Wednesday that his son was set to move to England and Guadalajara have now confirmed the deal.

"It's official. Carlos Vela now belongs to Arsenal," said a club statement.

Vela, who scored five goals to help Mexico win the Under-17 World Cup, is expected to cost Arsenal just over £2m and he will sign a five-year deal.

Under the terms of the deal, Vela would play for Spanish side Valencia until he is 18, when he becomes eligible for a work permit in the United Kingdom.

Guadalajara vice-president Nestor De La Torre said: "Arsenal told me that they were planning to loan him out to another team in order to develop before playing in the Premiership.

"The sporting rights of Vela will go to Arsenal for five years. If Arsenal decided to sell Carlos the first option would go to Chivas (Guadalajara)."

Vela will follow in the footsteps of leading international goalscorer Jared Borgetti, the first Mexican to play in England's Premiership, and who joined Bolton earlier this year.
    Nothing from Arsenal yet, but that sounds pretty definitive. Must start watching more of La Liga!

Very pleased with this news :)

kaids wrote:
    Nothing from Arsenal yet, but that sounds pretty definitive. Must start watching more of La Liga!

Very pleased with this news :)

he is supposed to be an amazing talent. And he saw him in action in highbury on trial. So they must have seen something special.

I wonder will he get his game in the upcoming Carling cup fixture.

Cesc played when he was 16 so why not. Looking forward to seeing him.
    I wonder is Lupoli happy though and Stokes aswell.

Thought Lupoli would be given a few more oppertunites expecially since Henry was injured.

Looks like Alialidare Arsenal's playing days are over

He won't be elligible to play, he won't get a work permit which I presume is why he seems to be headed to Valencia.

Also Lupoli has scored another hat-trick, this time in the Arsenal reserves.
    He should definately be given a chance even as a late sub for bergkamp or henry when the game is won.

Thats 11 goals now in 8 games and only 18. I said it before but ill say ti again, there seems to be fantastic young talent there at highbury.

Come on Wenger put him in.

Regards Vela they are intent on loaning him out to another premiership club to get experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wish Wenger would bring Lupoli up to the first team squad as he has Stokes playing on the wings. I want Stokes to become a bloody striker. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

jank wrote:
    Regards Vela they are intent on loaning him out to another premiership club to get experience.

They cant do that as he is not eligable for a work permit until he is 18. Thats why he is going to play for Valencia until he is 18

eirebhoy wrote:
    I wish Wenger would bring Lupoli up to the first team squad as he has Stokes playing on the wings. I want Stokes to become a bloody striker. :)
    I agree. I don't want Stokes to become a permanent wing fixture, if he continues to play there I hope he'll move on.

I guess Wenger likes his players to get a broad footballing education, ala Ajax total football, but I have really high hopes that this boy can one day become a star in attack for Ireland and if he never gets played in attack at Arsenal then I want him to leave. I remember when he first arrived at Arsenal at 15 and scored 4 goals in a weekend, 2 for the reserves (playing alongside Wiltord and Kanu) and 2 the next day for a youth side. If he becomes anything other than an all-round centre-forward then I will be very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I hope this isnt true. Don't think it is mind you, but I was equally worried about the rumours that Julio Baptista was going to end up a gooner. I think Torres will eventually go to Barca though. Would like to see him take up the mantle at United, but there's no space for him in the squad at the moment and a striker isn't the priority!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Spain striker Fernando Torres says he is attracted by the idea of playing for Arsenal because of their regular appearances in the Champions League.

"If Arsenal and a coach like Arsene Wenger want to speak to you it's really flattering," the 21-year-old Atletico Madrid striker told The Sun.

"They're in the Champions League every season. I want to play against the best and challenge for the biggest titles.

"At Atletico, things are going little by little."

Meanwhile, Gunners midfielder Robert Pires has said how manager Wenger prevented him joining Patrick Vieira at Juventus last summer.

"This summer there were really close contacts with Juventus," Pires told Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport.

"But I had another year's deal and Wenger wouldn't let me leave.

"It wasn't my decision, but I'm happy it happened because many people told me I'd have problems in playing, instead I am playing."

Pires is planning to discuss his future at Arsenal in January but has ruled out joining another Premiership club.

"In January I'll meet Wenger and the club, and we will talk and we will decide," he added.

"Should I have to leave, I wouldn't stay in England. I'd like Italy or Spain. But for now I will concentrate on Arsenal, then we will see."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4430800.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Seaneh wrote:
    No they won't.

Yeah and I saw him with a "Once a blue and black, always a blue and black" t-shirt on. ;)

Adriano would be perfect for Chelsea, and once he realises he will never win anything at Inter, Chelsea will come in with an offer he can't refuse.

http://www.football365.com/news/story_168454.shtml
    Spanish striker Fernando Torres admits he could well be enticed to Arsenal by the promise of Champions League football.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is understood to want to bring the 21-year-old Atletico Madrid forward to Highbury as a foil to Thierry Henry and Jose Antonio Reyes.

"If a club like Arsenal and a coach like Arsene Wenger want to speak to you it is really flattering," he told The Sun. "Arsenal are in the Champions League every season and I want to play against the best teams and challenge for the biggest titles."

He added: "At Atletico, things are going little by little."

Things may get interesting now....
    Its a good sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jank wrote:
    http://www.football365.com/news/story_168454.shtml

Things may get interesting now....
    Its a good sign

Yeah the Sun is a very reliable source....FFS when will people learn?

Well apperently when a player says something in a press conference, its a reliable source too ;)

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/05/11/11/SOCCER_Spa-Atletico_Madrid_Torres.html
    Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres is flattered by the reported interest shown in him by Arsenal but is focused on playing for his current club and his country at the moment.

"At the moment all I am thinking about is tomorrow," he told a press conference ahead of Saturday's World Cup play-off.

"However, I am always grateful if a club like Arsenal is interested in me, they are a great club with a great coach.

"I have to feel honoured by thier interest but right now we are in the middle of the season.

"There will be a chance to discuss things later though but I am just thinking about playing for Spain tomorrow."

It is not the first time the 21-year-old, who is the hero of the Vicente Calderon, has been connected with a move to the Premier League, with Chelsea, Manchester United and Newcastle all thought to have kept a close eye on his development from a teenager.

Sky, BBC etc have the same story........

Advertisement