Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

university of manchester app. form is it racist

Options
  • 09-11-2005 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

My friend was thinking of applying to a UK colege, this is part of the Uni. of Manchesters application form:

'Ethnic Origin - please enter the code from the list below which best describes
    your ethnic origin. The University has a statutory obligation to collect this
    information. This information will not have any influence on the outcome of your application.

White - British 11
    White - Irish 12
    Other White background 19
    Black or Black British - Caribbean 21
    Black or Black British - African 22
    Other Black background 29
    Asian or Asian British - Indian 31
    Asian or Asian British - Pakistani 32
    Asian or Asian British - Bangladeshi 33
    Chinese 34
    Other Asian background 39
    Mixed - White and Black Caribbean 41
    Mixed - White and Black African 42
    Mixed - White and Asian 43
    Other Mixed background 49
    Other Ethnic background 80
    Information Refused 98'

I thought it was a very very bad thing to have on an app. form, is it legal?
    I like the bit where they say it doesn't have any influence on the outcome-why ask then? oh! because of a statutory obligation.
    Can anyone shed light on the legality of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

"The University has a statutory obligation to collect this
    information, which is required for statistical purposes only"
    thegent wrote:
    like the bit where they say it doesn't have any influence on the outcome-why ask then? oh! because of a statutory obligation.

You've answered your own question...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

There was a thread an a similiar issue not to long ago, except it was about religion!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318301

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭thegent

whiskeyman wrote:
    You've answered your own question...
    not exactly whiskeyman the question is what statutary obligation? i thought it wasn't supposed to matter if you were black pink or purple. looks to me like theres a university in northern england that doesn't like black cushions on a white couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

thegent wrote:
    not exactly whiskeyman the question is what statutary obligation? i thought it wasn't supposed to matter if you were black pink or purple. looks to me like theres a university in northern england that doesn't like black cushions on a white couch.

Just re-read the bit
    This information will not have any influence on the outcome of your application.

It would be illegal to discriminate against a person on the grounds of their ethnic background but not illegal to ask them! They are probably for governemnt stats, so they can see if there is a problem like "we don't have any Mixed - White and Black Caribbean 41 here, we need more 41"! Also your friend can refuse to give the information, that option is there!

When I was an undergraduate in UCD I filled out survey forms from the college and there were definitely questions about my parents background and income etc. and I am guessing abuot my ethnic background! The University doesn't need these for any other reason besides stats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

it's probably just for stats about all the different racial minorities they have in the university, i wouldn't see it as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

thegent wrote:
    actually, it's there to revert such a scenerio.
    Details of candidates and of selection decisions (including the rationale for selection or rejection) will be kept for at least six months after an appointment has been made, in case they are required as evidence by an employment tribunal or for other proceedings. The University will keep records of the sex, ethnicity, and any disability of its staff and of all candidates and of those shortlisted and appointed. The gender composition of selection panels will also be monitored. Records may be used to determine whether members of one sex or persons of a certain racial group or those with a disability do not apply for employment, or apply in smaller numbers than might be expected, or are shortlisted or appointed in a lower proportion than their application rate, or are concentrated in certain jobs, faculties, or sub-faculties. Where such under-representation is identified, positive action initiatives will be developed in accordance with the provisions of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, the Race Relations Act 1976, and any other relevant national legislation. The University will investigate the practicalities of monitoring progression within employment, including access to training and development, promotion and grading.

2000th post... whoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AFAIK it's merely a statistical thing.

http://www.hesa.ac.uk/

If they weren't letting people in based on their answer that'd be racist.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

thegent wrote:
    White - British 11
    White - Irish 12
    Other White background 19
    Black or Black British - Caribbean 21
    Black or Black British - African 22
    Other Black background 29
    Asian or Asian British - Indian 31
    Asian or Asian British - Pakistani 32
    Asian or Asian British - Bangladeshi 33
    Chinese 34
    Other Asian background 39
    Mixed - White and Black Caribbean 41
    Mixed - White and Black African 42
    Mixed - White and Asian 43
    Other Mixed background 49
    Other Ethnic background 80
    Information Refused 98
    Surely Number 98 is the most important option? It's clearly up to you whether you tell them or not. Statistical analysis seems the most likely reason

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

When BBC were advertising for new writers, myself and a mate of mine sent in one of our scripts, along with the application form we'd requested.
    The form said pretty much exactly the same as the University of Manchester one, and we didn't give it a second thought.

The important thing is this:
    If they weren't letting people in based on their answer that'd be racist.......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some years back it would have read:
    Irish, Black or Dog 33 :mad:
    http://www.lordtaylor.org/cdrom.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Why would a university lie about this? They aren't hotbeds of racism.

The relevant legislation is the UK Race Relations Amendment Act, 2001, this creates new duties for universities and lots of other types of organisations in the UK to seek to prevent discrimination and promote good interracial relations.

This is the statutory obligation for UK Universities. They have to have a policy explicitly promoting racial equality, this must include metrics and KPIs so that the success of the policy can be assessed. They can't assess the policy without information.

GODDAMN RACIAL EQUALITY

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i remember bringing something up about this way back when i was looking for work in the UK, i emailed the British govt about it and this is the response:
    Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your recent e - mail.

The principle objective of an ethnic monitoring system is to find out
    if any discrimination is taking place on the grounds of race, colour,
    nationality, ethnic or national origins. The ethnic categories used
    should therefore be related to this objective. It is important to
    identify individually all the groups likely to be discriminated against
    and to band together all those who are not.

Research conducted in 1994 highlighted evidence of inequality and
    disadvantage experienced by many people of Irish origin. Two of the
    recommendations of the research have been supported and put into
    practice:

1. All ethnic-monitoring systems should include an Irish category.

2. The 2001 Census should include an Irish category.

Note: The Irish in Britain, Research Report is available from Central
    Books on 0202 8986 5488.

I hope you feel that this clarifies the matter for you.

Of course my question was a tad different, i was enquiring as to why Irish was considered a Race when technically its only a nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Of course my question was a tad different, i was enquiring as to why Irish was considered a Race when technically its only a nationality.
    True, it should have been listed as European - Celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Irish is an ethnicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 homeostatic

This type of quota system is the very definition of racism. Here in the U.S., schools place weight on African-American applications. For instance, at the University of Michigan, being black scores more points for an applicant than a perfect score on the SAT test.

Whatever happen to the dream of a meritocracy in which people are allowed to achieve based solely on there ability to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i remember bringing something up about this way back when i was looking for work in the UK, i emailed the British govt about it and this is the response:

...The principle objective of an ethnic monitoring system is to find out
    if any discrimination is taking place on the grounds of race, colour,
    nationality, ethnic or national origins. The ethnic categories used
    should therefore be related to this objective. It is important to
    identify individually all the groups likely to be discriminated against
    and to band together all those who are not...

This seems like a perfectly reasonable reason for including such a question on the form.

Now take the example of France, where it is illegal to gather information on the population's ethnicity - maybe if empirical evidence of discrimination on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins had been gathered there and such discrimination was tackled, they wouldn't be having the trouble over there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This type of quota system is the very definition of racism. Here in the U.S., schools place weight on African-American applications. For instance, at the University of Michigan, being black scores more points for an applicant than a perfect score on the SAT test.

Whatever happen to the dream of a meritocracy in which people are allowed to achieve based solely on there ability to do so?

The point is, this has nothing to do with the individual application, but is merely statistical information gathered on a national government body which has nothing to do with the admissions process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭grubber

This comes up all the time. Please don't blame the University of Manchester as it is a requirement by government that these (admittedly awful) classifications are used. Population census forms also use them.

Native Brits don't like them either as there is, for example, no category if you happen to be Scottish or Welsh or English.

I think this listing must have been compiled by a committee!

Advertisement