Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joystick

Options
  • 09-11-2005 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm a bit of a noob at battlefield so im wondering do you all use a joystick for the heli and jet? Also if you do and you think they are worth it how much would it be to pick a decent one up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ps2 pad works fine for me.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

KdjaC wrote:
    Ps2 pad works fine for me.

kdjac

Me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

GameCube pad here, for some diversity... works a treat too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Not a plane man myself....I spend most of my time in chopper....use keyboard and mouse...find I get better control of the chopper this way.....got a joystick when I was learning how to fly on BFV and you dont get the same control on a chopper that you get from keyboard/mouse.....there is a difference in a plane....I found flying planes in BFV I was ok on keyboard/mouse....but on BF2 you really need a joystick to get control out of a plane...still useless with chopper thou!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im not sure if the choppers changed but i cant fly it ne more, i heard it had changed since 1942, might try ps2 joypad !
    althought i have a flight stick somewhere

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote:
    im not sure if the choppers changed but i cant fly it ne more, i heard it had changed since 1942, might try ps2 joypad !
    althought i have a flight stick somewhere

How you mean you cant fly anymore? explain. Might have a few tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I use one for the planes, certainly beats running out of space on the table when trying to pull up with a mouse! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭IG-Calibre

Yeah I use a cheap thrust joystick for flying planes and it does the job rightly - I really can't see how you can control all 3 axis with a keyboard tbh. the keyboard is grand for helo's, though I use the stick as well - I just wish I could programme a dead center like the really expensive joysticks as it makes hovering so easy

Big Nelly wrote:
    How you mean you cant fly anymore? explain. Might have a few tips.

thanks,
    well before[1942] it was , pressing W to start it off then at the first sight of slight hover id scroll the mouse upwards, the helicopter front end would look down at an angle and move forward. [Now i do the same and it crashed, tryed moving mouse down, crashed, WORKS when i use W and UP arrow]
    im pretty sure i had the plane axis reversed , as now , mouse up = plane up, which doesnt work for me.
    Plane
    I tried changing it in the controls but seems to say, key already in use, change it on down as that the only other place it would be being used but no luck, havent looked around much.

Placebo wrote:
    thanks,
    well before[1942] it was , pressing W to start it off then at the first sight of slight hover id scroll the mouse upwards, the helicopter front end would look down at an angle and move forward. [Now i do the same and it crashed, tryed moving mouse down, crashed, WORKS when i use W and UP arrow]
    im pretty sure i had the plane axis reversed , as now , mouse up = plane up, which doesnt work for me.
    Plane
    I tried changing it in the controls but seems to say, key already in use, change it on down as that the only other place it would be being used but no luck, havent looked around much.

Need to reverse the axis. I use the same W and that starts the chopper and will get you hovering.....move mouse forward and the heli tilts forward.....off you go........

I remember when I first tried to fly....move mouse forward. Went backwards and straight into the line of a plane taking off and bang. Couldnt figure out where I had gone. 2-3 crashs later and I had it figured out:D

If you hop in heli now and move mouse forward will the heli tilt backwards? sending you into the ground?

• Advertisement

hey thanks, il try again when i get home, wanna try get used to flight stick, looks more fun, it could be my mouse sensitivity, its wireless and could be acting crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I swear by the joystick. I have a Microsoft Force Feedback 2. It comes with a twistgrip for yaw. It also has enough buttons to program for things like flares, eject, outside views etc.. Perfect.

I would recommend anything that allows you to twist the grip for yaw. This makes chopper flying exceptionally easier.

hey nelly. i reveresed the axis, im air borne again, yay !
    just a question about hovering ? do i TAP W ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭IG-Calibre

Got to keep the engine of the rotars @ around 33% is to hover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I got a joystick a while back... not good. So much easier to use the mouse and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

fluffer wrote:
    I swear by the joystick. I have a Microsoft Force Feedback 2. It comes with a twistgrip for yaw. It also has enough buttons to program for things like flares, eject, outside views etc.. Perfect.

I would recommend anything that allows you to twist the grip for yaw. This makes chopper flying exceptionally easier.
    This sums it all up really. Need the yaw controls.
    Logitech Extreme 3d Pro does a similar job.

Placebo wrote:
    hey nelly. i reveresed the axis, im air borne again, yay !
    just a question about hovering ? do i TAP W ?

Sorry was away for a few days. Hold the key down. This will build up air speed in chopper and easier to fly in long run. Means you can fly low to ground around building alot easier. Nothing better than mastering flying along with the bottom of the chopper nearly on the ground and moving from side to side to miss trees. Also if someone behind you, let them come close then push the S key, and pull back on mouse. Then watch them fly past.

Also another tip. Get rid of the wireless mouse. You will find that your going to have problems with moving the mouse and a few secs delay before the chopper moves. Me and a mate both got wireless mouse and keyboard. Brought them back next day. Was brutal with BF.

Advertisement