Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viatli Klitschko retires from boxing .

Options
  • 09-11-2005 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4420704.stm

Injuries really have plagued him since he beat Sander's . King now promotes all of the four champions and will porbably put in place his tournament thingy idea sometime in 2006 should Ruiz defeat Valuev .

For me Wlad Klitschko and Lamon Brewster are the heir apparent's . Brewster holds the WBO title and recently knocked out Luan Krasniqui . Wlad won any eliminater for both the IBF(Champ=Chris Byrd) and WBO titles in his last fight beating Samuel Peter on points .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

He's been out of action for a good while. Probably a wise move on his part.

Not really what boxing needed right now though.

If anyone's interested, on Newstalk106 right now they're discussing this whole situation.

www.newstalk106.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Amz wrote:
    He's been out of action for a good while. Probably a wise move on his part.

Not really what boxing needed right now though.

If anyone's interested, on Newstalk106 right now they're discussing this whole situation.

www.newstalk106.ie

klit will be back fighting, I can guarantee that. He was going to get stripped of the title so the best thing to do is retire for the time being, let King have a heavyweight tournament for an undisputed champion (And I can also safely guarantee it won't be Rahman), then come back and be the undisputed champion.

Don King now has total control over the division so the klits will have to do business with him if they want to get anywhere in future.

Retiring gets everything off his back while he can heal. I would bet anything that he'll be back. The division is so ****e that he can afford to sit on his ass for 6 months and then come back and liquidate the other poor champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Big Ears wrote:
    news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4420704.stm

Injuries really have plagued him since he beat Sander's . King now promotes all of the four champions and will porbably put in place his tournament thingy idea sometime in 2006 should Ruiz defeat Valuev .

For me Wlad Klitschko and Lamon Brewster are the heir apparent's . Brewster holds the WBO title and recently knocked out Luan Krasniqui . Wlad won any eliminater for both the IBF(Champ=Chris Byrd) and WBO titles in his last fight beating Samuel Peter on points .

Wladdi Klit is no heir apparent. He was lucky to get away with the stuff he was doing to peter, holding on for dear life for the majority of the fight. He will crumble once his chin is tapped. I think he would probably beat Byrd but even Ruiz would beat him I think.

That was hard to admit since I hate that bum

I think Toney can reign supreme if he gets his act together and spends less time at the buffet table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Let's face it, what a joke of a Division it has now become. You'd have to pay me to watch a Heavyweight Title fight these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

akindoc wrote:
    I think Toney can reign supreme if he gets his act together and spends less time at the buffet table.

37 years old , sure he might become undisputed champ but there's no way he's going to reign supreme for a good while . Ruiz wouldn't beat Wlad don't be daft , his jab and hug simply wouldn't work against Wlad . Brewster is the only title holder I can see that could beat him (and has , even though he was being giving a beating until Wlad ran out of steam) .

Viatli Klitschko will never come back either , he simply has too many permanent injuries that affect performance and he would also not come back unless he could fight for the title , and it would take him a good 3 years to force a title shot (there's no way him and King will willingly strike a deal without being forced)by which time he will be 37 and not nearly the fighter he once was . I'm afraid he's gone for good .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Who gives a rats ass about heavyweight???

The lighter weights is where its at now and all hail mayweather!

Apparently Chavez Barerra is pencilled in for next year, oh yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

efb wrote:
    Who gives a rats ass about heavyweight???

The lighter weights is where its at now and all hail mayweather!

Apparently Chavez Barerra is pencilled in for next year, oh yeah!

I think we're all aware the lighter weights are much stronger at the moment . (I would rank Heavweight second worst division after Cruiser)

I will respect Mayweather but never will I hail him , [Kevin Keegan accent] I would love it , love it if Michtell beats him [/Kevin Keegan accent]. I just don't like the guy for a couple of reasons .

Yeh Barrera V Chavez will be a great fight , can't wait .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

I was pretty shocked when I heard VK had retired. Hadn't been near a computer for a few days, flicked on teletext and there it was. The heavyweight tournament could be interesting but Don King has way too much control. I can't believe Rahman is the WBC champ again...jees

Oh yes and W Klitschko KOs Ruiz any night of the year.

Advertisement