Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB in Dundalk - Sums up IBB in general - potential customer be warned

• 09-11-2005 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I recommended IBB to a few mates a few months ago and to be honest, I wish I didn't. They had a perfect service with Eircom/Netsource and now they have a service that is bordering on useless for what they want it for...

If may mates service had of been of acceptable quality (i.e. on par with the service I have in Dublin), I would have recommended IBB to about about 10 other households in the area.. Those people have since being warned off IBB and have got Digiweb's Metro service. Thankfully, these people are happy.

A little background of what has happened so far.. When the service was installed originally, my mates had a pretty good time of it. Their download rates and latency timings to various servers were both acceptable.

A few days later, it all went hairy and we couldn't even connect to internet at times. The connection kept dropping off and was really really bad when it did work. So we called IBB and they came onsite a few days later to have a look. It was determined that we needed to be put on a sector that was higher up the mast we work of. The installers done this and left.. They failed to tell us that we now had a new IP address I might add.. In all, we had the service about 3 weeks at this stage and it was virtually unusable.

So we were connected to the net again but a few probs have cropped up. Download and upload rates are a third of what they were previously. Latency timings are 4 times what they were. Packet Loss has also become a major issue.

The service is predominantly used for browsing, online gaming and downloading. I don't think they are overly heavy users and even if they are, its not the root cause as the service has never worked properly. I wish being heavilty contended was the cause to be honest.

We have called IBB on multiple occassions and explained the situation to them. Typically, we have been promised callbacks and did not receive them. I have personally spoke to someone on about 6 or 7 individual occassions and not one person has ever called me back.. I have actually called them about 13 times in all but was queuing for 20 minutes and just gave up.

This as nearly everyone on boards.ie with experience of IBB will testify, is the norm. They company's customer services department is by far the worst I have EVER experienced. No telecoms company or even goverment department even comes close in terms of blantantly lying to customers.

In the times I spoke to people, I asked was in contention and they laughed at the idea as they had so few customers in Dundalk. Long will it continue if I have anything to do with it may I add!!

Now there is a summary of my experienced of IBB in Dundalk.

As mentioned, I have their service in Dublin and work off Three Rock. I am happy with my connection as download rates and latency times have been nigh on perfect for the past 3 months.. However, I did experience the download rates, ping loss and latency problems for 4 months prior to this! I also experienced the same ineptitude when dealing with their customer care department. Luckily enough, I lost my temper to such an extent that the problem somehow got fixed. This took about 20 calls to customer care however and I wasted about 6 hours. I also have a diffent route to the internet that my mates.

Anyway, I need to vent that... Be warned people.

PS: It seems they discard UDP packets when a router gets busy so the net graph in games like CS: Source will show a far higher rates of Packet Loss than what you will see from the DOS prompt. This effectively ruins any chance you have of playing online games.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Just cancel your direct debit and tell them to get their equipment off the house ASAP.

I've not heard of them taking action against customers who've simply stopped paying for their atrocious service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Oh I won't be happy with just saving my mates the hassle.. I will be happy when every person I know is well aware of how does company treats its customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I called about my connection again tonight and the guy was really helpful even told me he was going to read up on my case and call me back in like 5-10mins. Since the callback my packet loss has gone from 5 to 2% on an idle connection and 2% on a maxed connection and by maxed now im getting 180-200k down and 4Mb + upload. But he said he was going up to the GIS dept in the morning to wake them up as they must have fallen asleep up there in order to move the mast but now im worried if i get moved they might make it worse ...

Advertisement