Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New 5 series, possible to get speedo conversion?

Options
  • 09-11-2005 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭

Dad has an 04 new shape bmw 5 series, is it possible to get the speedo changed to km? and how much would it cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im sure you can get aftermarket gauge covers but this would require opening up the cluster and may invalidate the warranty.
    A dealer will charge an arm and a leg. I priced same for my E39 and was told it would be about €700 as they replace the entire unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ah okay, for some reason i thought it was an easy thing to do, perhaps not!!

I have not tried it so don't know. Try @ http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=48 - someone there may have changed their dials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I've done similar with other BMWs, you can pick up a KM unit from eBay - the speedo section can be unscrewed and put back in place without too much grief. You'll need to get the car reprogrammed though as the OBC will continue to read in miles... Am considering doing this on my E46, so will let you know how I get on.

but on a 1 year old car, in theory could this affect the warranty?

• Advertisement

@ficus - did you get that in writing?
    I know from dealing with some dealers that you don't get much for free!

Advertisement