Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 toyota celica

Options
  • 09-11-2005 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

thinking of getting a 2002 celica.any comments on its economy,speed,reliability

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,085 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

reliability - its a toyota, as reliable as they get
    speed - 140bhp version mildly warm 190bhp version much more like it
    economy - should be okay as its a normally aspirated engine, not sure tho

and also residuals are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of the Irish Celicas have the standard 140bhp 1.8 VVTi engine which is grand for Irish roads but standard equipment is a bit basic.

Most UK and Jap imports have the 190bhp 1.8 VVTi-L engine which is as expected is alot more powerful but insurance is probably higher.

UK spec cars especially the T-Sport model are probably the best value for money as they have higher standard equipment than the Irish spec cars. Things like leather seats, sunroof, cd changer, sat nav, body kit and bigger alloy wheels tend to be included in any UK imports I have seen over here and they are a bit cheaper than Irish spec cars too.

Economy wise, well the Celica is grand for the type of car it is but to be honest if you like using your right foot alot then obviously this will dent the mpgs anyway no matter what car you drive.

Reliability wise, well I have heard no horror stories about them. Just make sure that the one you are looking at has not seen the wrong side of a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

I have this one just over a year now ...
    celica.jpg

I got it in the UK, because I wanted a 190bhp model

Power is great from a 1.8 engine .. lift kicks in at 6200 rpm and you get an extra power boost until it redlines at about 8200 rpm. 0-60 in about 7 seconds so quick enough.

As for fuel consumption .. I've a heavy right foot and use the lift a lot so I get about 22mpg but have got up to 30mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Whether you get the 140bhp or the 190bhp model, as v10 suggests, you will need to rev the living daylights out of it to get any kind of acceleration. A bit like Honda Type R models really. If you like driving like that, you won't be disappointed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Nice looking motor and a nice drive by all accounts. Only thing I ever hear bad about them is the plasticky interior. But if you can live with that, theres no realy pitfalls. A nice car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

v10 wrote:
    I have this one just over a year now ...
    celica.jpg

I got it in the UK, because I wanted a 190bhp model

Power is great from a 1.8 engine .. lift kicks in at 6200 rpm and you get an extra power boost until it redlines at about 8200 rpm. 0-60 in about 7 seconds so quick enough.

As for fuel consumption .. I've a heavy right foot and use the lift a lot so I get about 22mpg but have got up to 30mpg.

Exccelent choice. Now thats is my type of car, how much did you pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Looks nice! :)

I'm thinking of changing my ST202 Celica GT for the 190 T-Sport and would be interested to know if it was worth the effort to import it in from the uk.

Thanks

C_Breeze wrote:
    Exccelent choice. Now thats is my type of car, how much did you pay for it?
    UberNewb wrote:
    I'm thinking of changing my ST202 Celica GT for the 190 T-Sport and would be interested to know if it was worth the effort to import it in from the uk.?

The Celica 190 and T-Sport are essentially the same car .. The 190 was renamed the T-Sport around late '02 ..
    Prior to the T-Sport there was no 190bhp model available in Ireland and they are something like €6000 more than the standard 140bhp model. So they are no very common in Ireland. I went to the UK simply because there were plenty more to choose from and yes it was well worth it in my opinion.
    unkel wrote:
    ..you will need to rev the living daylights out of it to get any kind of acceleration..
    No doubt about it this car goes quick when you drive it hard .. but it's far from slow regardless of how you drive it.;)

Am considering selling up next year if your interested ... SEE THIS POST

Thanks, but I'm looking for a 2004 up in the new year!

I can't wait! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I just picked up my 01 190bhp - I'm just gone 25 and my insurance is less than 1300. I love it and would reccomend it to anyone. I need to find a good body shop now to get it sprayed. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Got any pics of it?
    Why are you getting it sprayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

hey there
    I had the rac do a check on one for me in the UK,01 190bhp model
    Said there was a slight whining from the gearbox and timing chain is bit loose,the garage guy said that they will tighten up the timing chain and check the gearbox but that celicas have a slight whining from the gearbox anyway.anyone know if this is true,Who u insured with steve06.Only other things the rac found were a leaking seal in the a/c.steering is slighty offline

do ye think i should leave the car altogether,or rust the garage to check all these faults out

cheers

I got it insured with Quinn Direct, had a policy with them already so I got a good deal. Where was the 01 with the whining engine? Mine runs great. Want to get it sprayed cos there's a few small marks on it, nothing big but I want to get them done and I might change the colour. I have a thing for lambos, so I might go with the lambo orange!

celica in england,said the whining was from the gearbox,so not sure what to do,wheter to leave it.any ideas

did you get a price to get it sorted? if it's a good deal after the VRT then do it, if it goes bad, sell it over her, you'll probably make your money back. Here's mine, just ran out of the office to take pics of it and put some money in the meter.

celica12ww.jpg
    celica22kr.jpg
    celica31cq.jpg

You should edit your reg out of the pics.

Peach of a car though and looks very clean inside and out

Reg is gone. She a beaut alright, goona hold onto her for as long as I can. Well unless I get enough money to buy a 05. Dunno why they've discontinued production now! There's a new Supra coming out this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

steve06 wrote:
    Reg is gone. She a beaut alright, goona hold onto her for as long as I can. Well unless I get enough money to buy a 06.

Unfortunately Toyota have stopped producing the Celica and MR2. They have no plans to introduce new models of either. They said they have made enough to see out 2006 though.

nice car steve06,

think i will chance the one in england,16000 including vrt,so think it is good enough value.just a little bit worried about the"whining noise from the gearbox".mite be nothing too serious.hopefully not anyway

It is strange that they've been discontinued. Maybe they're gonna bring out a more affordable supra or something, they couldn't leave a gap in their range for too long

• Advertisement

I just got a quote of 2500 for candy paint job from xtremeparts.ie. Think I'll just leave it. 16000 sounds good, Maybe ask the RUC about the cost of fixing the whining noise first. here's the new Supra
    SS-2006-Toyota-Supra-1.jpg

Is it just me or is the new supra very DB9?

I think it's more Z4

steve06 wrote:
    here's the new Supra

Thats not the new Supra, that picture is years old. I'm sure anyone who has been keeping an eye out for the new supra will have seen that. I have some spyshots taken at the end of last year of the next "supra" being tested somewhere on my home pc. I'll log on at home and see if I can find it.

Couldn't find them but there on this link here, check out both pages

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51177

Ye I've seen those snaps before, I had a pic or an orange one, can't find it though.

ncc98071 wrote:
    hey there
    I had the rac do a check on one for me in the UK,01 190bhp model
    Said there was a slight whining from the gearbox and timing chain is bit loose,the garage guy said that they will tighten up the timing chain and check the gearbox but that celicas have a slight whining from the gearbox anyway.anyone know if this is true,Who u insured with steve06.Only other things the rac found were a leaking seal in the a/c.steering is slighty offline

do ye think i should leave the car altogether,or rust the garage to check all these faults out

cheers

Never heard about the whining before. Maybe you should post here http://www.celica-club.co.uk/ int the Gen 7 section.

forgot to say nice car steve06, thats the colour I want but I know I'll go for black yet again!

ahh it hurts, but am selling mine ... check it out

steve06 wrote:
    I just picked up my 01 190bhp...
    BTW steve .. your's doesn't look like a 190 from those pictures you posted ?? Are you sure it's not a 140 ?

toyota.jpg
    vvti-190.jpg

V10 it is a 190, not all 190's have a 190 badge on them

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote:
    V10 it is a 190, not all 190's have a 190 badge on them
    ah fair enough .. wasn't only the badges, I thought it looked like a 140 exhaust as well ... Great car ;)

Advertisement