Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 toyota celica

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I wanted the 190, so I got it checked beofre I bought it. It's an english import. this 190 has the badge VVTI 190 but there's a lot of them on carzone that don't. Mostly Jap and UK imports. didn't know there was a difference in the exhaust between the 140 and 190, but this is a 140 VVTI 140 and my exhaust is bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Yeah the exhaust is kinda oval shaped on the 190's where it's round on the 140. I don't think the 'Celica 190' was ever released in Ireland. The only Irish version with the 190 engine is the Tsport which is what the UK 'Celica 190' became in mid 2002.

Also the rev counter gives it away ...
    revs.jpg
    ...the 190 redline is 8200 where it's lower on the 140 (around 6500 I think)

The important thing is that the engine says VVTLi rather than VVTi .. :p

I just remember when I bought mine (also in UK) there was plenty of dealers claiming to have 190's that were actually not 190's at all.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

what do yis think of this beauty?

Ye I like it but I think it's a matter of personal preference, so it's quite highly priced because it's a 2001 and all the extras shouldn't push it up that much. It's been up there for a good while.

V10, not all 190's are VVTLi - go to quinn and get a quote for a 2001 celica, you can get a VVTi 190 and that's what mine is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Like the colour, kit is awful! overpriced I'd pay 20k

vvtiqoute7op.gif

V10, you're getting me stressed now. I have the car insured as a VVTI 190bhp. It is pretty fast on the road and sounds good too. It's a 6 speed and the Irish 140's I tested were 5 speed. The garage told me it was a 190 when I got it checked, but here's the rev counter...

revs5zr.jpg

What other differences are there? How can I calculate the correct bhp on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Steve, does anything happen at 6200rpm? The lift should kick in if it's a vvtli engine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Steve06 you have a celica GT-S which is 180hp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

steve06 wrote:
    It's a 6 speed and the Irish 140's I tested were 5 speed.

mate of mine has an irish 140 and it has 6 speed box in it....

Sorry to stress you but your in for a bigger disappointment.

Ok, done some checkin and heres the deal:

All 190's have VVTLi on the engine.
    All 190's have red Toyota badge and vvti190 badge.
    All 190's have oval shaped exhaust
    All 190's have rev counter redline at 8200 like the image I posted.
    All 190's have speedo that goes up to 160 mph.

No comparison to drive .. at 6200 revs in the 190 the car's LIFT (hence vvtLi) kicks in and powers the car to 8000 revs and put a smile on your face like this .. :D

Sorry to have to break it to you but, your car is a 140 bhp Celica.

There's plenty of dodgy dealers out there claiming the 140 on their forecourt is a 190. Ba$tards.

Hey, not that there's anything wrong with the 140 .. still a great car .. just hate to see someone get shafted.

UberNewb wrote:
    Steve06 you have a celica GT-S which is 180hp
    GTS ? wtf .. thats the US version .. Is it a Left hand drive ? No ?

Check the engine number 1ZZ = 140 2ZZ=190

v10 wrote:
    GTS ? wtf .. thats the US version .. Is it a Left hand drive ? No ?

Check the engine number 1ZZ = 140 2ZZ=190

Read it here! It is sold in Europe
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/45675/page003.html

UberNewb wrote:
    Believe me, the GT and GTS are American versions of the 140 and 190. Same car really, just a different name.
    from link wrote:
    features a 1.8-liter engine with Variable Valve Timing and Lift -intelligent (VVTL-i), which adds a two-stage Lift change mechanism to the existing VVTi engine, thereby boosting horsepower to 192 (up 52 from the Celica GT, 12 from the GT-S) at 7,800 rpm
    proves my point .. steves car wont even rev to 7800rpm ! Look at his rev counter .. these cars are all rev restricted to stop going into red.

They will go into the Red, the fuel cut off is at 8400rpm.

UberNewb wrote:
    They will go into the Red, the fuel cut off is at 8400rpm
    Ok, as for the cut off .. I can only speak for my own. The lift kicks in at 6200 and this answers all questions and shows it's the vvtLi 190 engine at the 8200 redline a limiter kicks in effectivly stopping the car going into the red.

Anyways .. I'm satisfied that steve06's car is a 140 after what I've read here.

C190 redlines at 8200rpm
    GT-s redlines at 7800rpm
    140 redlines at 6500rpm

I think you need to look at his posted picture again

UberNewb wrote:
    C190 redlines at 8200rpm
    GT-s redlines at 7800rpm
    140 redlines at 6500rpm

I think you need to look at his posted picture again

Maybe you need another look, the picture steve06 posted shows his redline at about 6800 which is normal for a 140 and after checking, his car should be rev limited to 7000 rpm.

:o

I'll leave by the back door

• Advertisement

UberNewb wrote:
    :o

I'll leave by the back door
    :p .. glad thats settled !

Lift kicks in before 6200. I know it's a VVTi and not a VVTLi but quinn direct have a VVTi 190 listed and that's what I was told it was.

Now I'm pissed off, I'm getting on to the garage about this.

steve06 wrote:
    Lift kicks in before 6200. I know it's a VVTi and not a VVTLi but quinn direct have a VVTi 190 listed and that's what I was told it was.
    If theres no L theres no lift ! - Thats what the L is. Insurance companies call the 190 a vvti190 as opposed to the vvti. The vvti190 (that quinn direct is refering to) is the vvtLi.

Your car doesn't have lift .. I'll bring you for a spin, you'll know then what lift is.
    steve06 wrote:
    Thats what I'd do

Just to clear this up .. there are only 2 engines .. 1ZZ (140 vvti) and 2ZZ (190 vvtLi) .. thats it .. you either have one or the other, and it's written on the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

I agree v10, I've got the 140 and your comments are correct. I believe if steve06 has the 190 he'd know about it when he puts the pedal to the metal - huge difference I believe between the 140 and 190 :)

.. I believe if steve06 has the 190 he'd know about it when he puts the pedal to the metal ..
    yep, I believe so. :D

Well here's the car details on the engine. I'm getting onto the garage about it now. It does say VVTi not VVTLi
    dscn16983ic.jpg

steve06 wrote:
    Well here's the car details on the engine. I'm getting onto the garage about it now. It does say VVTi not VVTLi
    dunno about that .. that only has chassis number/vin number & model.

Model is different from mine though ...
    plate.jpg

and mine has VVTLI on the engine cover...
    engine.jpg

Dunno where the engine number is (maybe on registration cert) .. I have mine from UK Registration (V5) Cert and mine starts with 2ZZ....

Also, have a look a your tax disk .. the cc is slightly different
    The 190 is 1796cc and the 140 is 1794cc

Have a look at this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

steve06 wrote:

Well what did they say ?.. is V10 right, is it a 140 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

hey there

V10 is right,steve06 you should get back on to the garage,I am just after bringing in a 190 celica from the Uk,Has the vvtl1 engine,190 badge and the correct rev counter on the car,speed gauge goes to 160 as well all like v10 said.Lift kicks in at 6200 and you know it straight away so you do.go back to the garage and let them know.Dont let them get away with it

Advertisement