Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time needing hosting

Options
  • 09-11-2005 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hey,

I've started looking for the first time for web hosting in Ireland with a .ie domain. The site will prob start off as a 2 or 3 page brochure site but I'd like to be able to add some database driven content later. This might not be for a year though!

Could someone explain what advantages there are to linux vs windows hosting.

Will I own the domain name after it is registered?

Are there any hosting companies I should avoid like the plague?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Q1.Could someone explain what advantages there are to linux vs windows hosting.

A1. None really - I've used both solutions and have little problem with either. Though windows would be easier to use for the beginner

Q2.Will I own the domain name after it is registered?

A2. Yes - If you register it - you own it.

Q3.Are there any hosting companies I should avoid like the plague?

A3. Most likely there are a few but as to which I wouldn't be sure. I can recommend a few different companies though webhost.ie, letshost.ie, blacknight.ie, hosting365.ie all reputable companies.

Hope that helps - also your going to need to show relevance as to why you want .ie or furnish an RBN (Registered Business Number).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I've started looking for the first time for web hosting in Ireland with a .ie domain.
    - Give some thought as to whether it must be,the more expensive, .ie -v- .com,etc. (You know best)

This really depends on the hosting company! (i.e. Security, reliability,costs, etc. Example: Often, cost savings will be passed on to the user for Linux servers. I cannot stress enough that these reasons really do depend on the actually server co.) Most generically, it boils down to CGI,PHP or ASP(.net) - again, you'll have to check with the hosting co.
    For all intents purposes*, yes; for the period which you pay for (And renewal..)
    [*ex: The domain can be disputed if in violation of trademarks or something..I'm relaly just cover all bases here. Short answer is Yes.:)]
    Too many to list. Any that sound too good to be true, generally are (In particular, any that promise "unlimited" features.)

Go Irish! After you get your tax back,etc. it really is worth it for the after-sales support.
    (Although, my personal experience with hosting365 has been less than perfect.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

alantc wrote:
    Unless you are developing with asp or asp.net, which require windows, there is no real difference
    alantc wrote:
    For all practical purposes - yes, as long as you pay the registration fees and don't do anything abusive with it (spoofing ebay for example)
    alantc wrote:

Anybody offering you unlimited bandwidth. Make sure that the company you choose provides tangible contact details. Email only or a mobile number is not exactly confidence inspiring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

blacknight wrote:

Ah, they descend like VULTURES. :)

If you want shell access, you probably want something UNIXy. You probably don't want shell access tho.

Advertisement