Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steamed up visor

Options
  • 09-11-2005 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty much a bike newbie (about 2 months in)

All is good but lately I've been wearing my visor down what with all the rain and all, and it's getting steamed up quite quickly, and I have to put it back up to unsteam it...

Is there anything I can get / do to avoid doing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

There is a ton of crap available for this problem. Pinlock (for certain visors) and FogCity are like a transparent film applied to the inside of your visor - pinlock is supposed to be pretty good. You can get anti-mist solutions specifically sold for visors. This one is worth trying out - put a small dab of washing up liquid on tissue paper and rub into the inside of the visor (visor removed from the helmet for handiness) until a thin film and hazy. Rub off with a dry clean bit of tissue until the visor is clear again. Works on clear visors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

seconded for the washing liquid trick. Just be sure that no water drops get on the inside, or the liquid starts to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheap solution I found (though not as cheap as the washing up liquid) is the face mask inserts you can buy which cover your nose and mouth. Some helmets come with them, but you can buy them for ~€20 and fit them into your helmet. Help keep your nose warm in the winter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Theres a gizmo which sticks on the inside of the visor. It's basically double glazing for the visor. I know a guy who bought one in the Hein Gericke shop in the north. He swears by it.

www.hein-gericke.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

seamus wrote:
    Cheap solution I found (though not as cheap as the washing up liquid) is the face mask inserts you can buy which cover your nose and mouth. Some helmets come with them, but you can buy them for ~€20 and fit them into your helmet. Help keep your nose warm in the winter too.

I just get them "neck tubes", silky type ones are nice, from bike stores - cost about a tenner usually and pull them up over my mouth and nose. Use the washing up liquid trick too though, especially before I head out on a rainy morning - generally then I'll give the visor a quick clean on the outside and a smear on the inside! Plus my helmet has a little plastic latch thing which props open the end of the visor. All in all, I've stopped having fogging problems for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

You can get this liquid you spray on the inside of your visor. Its in a black and kinda flat shaped bottle with gold writing (2 lazy to go check the name :D). works great but in my experiance nothing beats a good quality helmet. I have a Shark with double glazed visor and I very rarly have to use the liquid now where as with my top of the range Nitro I was using it all the time.

You can get screens that work really good (oxford make come anti-fog screen) but they are a pain to put on and you have to make sure they done get to steamed up or you loose the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

seamus wrote:

I have one of the face mask things. Called foggy's. Got mine in Bikeworld and it works a treat. I use the washing up liquid trick every now and again too.

The problem I have is the rain on the outside of the visor..... Anyone have any nifty solutions for this?

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nereid wrote:
    The problem I have is the rain on the outside of the visor..... Anyone have any nifty solutions for this?
    I just use my thumb/palm to wipe it off. There's a leather bit along there which is quite effective :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

A quick solution for rain outside the visor is to use furninture polish (Pledge etc) on it. Of course, with the amount of construction traffic on my daily commute, it takes just minutes before muddy spray from trucks (dumpers especially) cruds up the visor. Still, without the polish, it'd be more like seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Garibaldi wrote:
    A quick solution for rain outside the visor is to use furninture polish (Pledge etc) on it....

Cool, I will try that. I am currently using the index finger/palm but when driving in windy conditions I prefer to keep both hands on the bars.

I recently replaced the visor on my helmet and for about two weeks it was great, the rain just ran off but now whatever coating they put on it seems to have worn away. I asked one time in Bikeworld if they had anything and they showed me a bottle (cant remember the name - Rain something) but it said "use on glass only" which is no good for visors! Maybe I will pop an email off to Shoei to see what they say....

Cheers.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

The clear plastic sheat is what I have used on two visors. I think they are great. Mine never mist up.

As for rain, there is also a liquid called Rain-a-way. I used it at first, pretty good. Then I lost the bottle and have been two lazy to by a new one lol (3 years on)

Advertisement