Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat problem

Options
  • 09-11-2005 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I don't know if any of ye can help me, but I'll tell ye the issue anyways.

I have a 7/8 month old male cat who was castrated about two weeks ago. He has been fine since then, but this evening when I came home from work, he wasn't in the house (he's a house cat and only goes outside to do his business). I think that he may have gotten locked out all day. Well, I called him inside and he turned up, but he's acting sort of dopey... he came in and didn't go near his food (he's normally a real grubber), he went straight to his favourite sleeping place (he usually loves to sit on our laps and get stroked, a real affectionate cat who purrs all the time). Also, he tried to jump up on a low chair but couldn't. Now, I have checked him out, stroked his back and legs and felt for obvious sore spots, but he isn't flinching in any area when I pet him, so I don't think he's had a bang of a car. I've checked his eyes and mouth, and his gums aren't pale and he's not foaming at the mouth or showing signs of feeling nauseous, so I don't think he's eaten poison. I dunno, he's just very subdued and not himself at all.

Is it just that he's been outdoors all day and is feeling sorry for himself or do ye think that maybe he's hurt himself somehow? He's not limping or showing any signs of distress. My dad said maybe he'd gotten chased by a dog or into a fight with another tom. If he continues like this all night and into the morning, should I take him to the vet?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Give your vet a ring if he's still the same in the morning - he / she will be able to tell you whether or not a visit is in order.
    Hope he's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hmmm,

he seems to have perked up a tiny bit. We left him alone for the evening to let him sleep and stuff. I just went into the sitting room and he meowed at me (he usually meows a lot, for him not to meow frequently is strange). I picked him up (he was purring, a good sign too I think) and brought him to his food, where he's having a bit of warmed milk and some tinned fish we give him as a treat from time to time. Still seems a little subdued though, but...eatings a good sign I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Slightly off topic but for anyone letting their dogs or cats out it's the time of year where lots of people are putting down poison to kill rodents and some just chuck it anywhere. Your cat could of had a bang from a car or mabey had a little virus bug hard to tell.

Advertisement