Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music and politics...who did it best?

Options
  • 09-11-2005 11:30pm

Simple Minds 'Street Fighting Years' was pretty full of diatribes against apartheid, in favour of amnesty, and of course had that number about the Belfast Child. But as a Minds fan, gotta admit I found it a bit OTT/bombastic.

No doubt Dylan will be remembered for his polemic, just never took to it myself.

For me, the best group for pushing politics to the front of the agenda was UB40. 1 in 10, Food for Thought, Rat in Mi Kichen etc. etc. Think they were part of the Red Wedge Tour supporting the UK Labout Party in the 1980s, along with Billy Bragg of course.

Any other artists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lots of artists to be mentioned no doubt..

Worth nothing George Michael (Shoot the Dog) here as how something can backfire.... still thought is was a great video though :D

For recent example, it has to be the song that became an anthem during the "orange revolution" in the Ukraine".
    It's in this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/ukraine/story/0,15569,1370514,00.html

whiskeyman wrote:
    Worth nothing George Michael (Shoot the Dog) here as how something can backfire.... still thought is was a great video though :D

In fairness to George, Praying For Time was a pretty good comment, all that 'this is the year of the hungry man, your television takes a stand' stuff...

I think Rage against the Machine were pretty good at pushing their politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bob Marley
    Christy Moore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Rachid Taha has spoken out for the rights of French muslims in his music, which is quite enjoyable.
    I wonder what message he is portraying in his gigs? Condeming violence in France? Dublin 5th Nov, Cork 26 Nov?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,968 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Two words. The Clash.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Carcass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Definitely not Green Day anyway, I'll go with the Clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

ninja900 wrote:
    Two words. The Clash.
    Totally

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrophe

Asian Dub Foundation: the first two albums were a blistering lyrical assault on contemporary Britain's prejudices, fueled by a keen apprectiation of cultural and political resistance movements in their own communities.

Dead Prez: gangster rap reclaimed for the revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rage Against The Machine,
    Neil Young,
    The Smiths,
    Bob Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

ninja900 wrote:
    Two words. The Clash.

Others pale in comparrisson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Dustin without a doubt! He had several hit songs and even feautred Joe Dolan, Like come Joe is a legend, Bono eat your heart out. He had the poultry party, he is now presenting the Poultry news, He has however been eclipsed by Bertie Ahern & Co. as they have proven to be the biggest turkeys in Irish politics. Lets hope they get roasted before Christmas.

netwhizkid wrote:
    He has however been eclipsed by Bertie Ahern & Co. as they have proven to be the biggest turkeys in Irish politics. Lets hope they get roasted before Christmas.

Netwhizkid - can you get through any post without mentioning your hatred for FF? It is clearly an obsession. I mean, I might vote FF and have laughed heartily at seeing Spring dumped on his ass by Tommy Mac Junior last time out in this county, but get over it...

Surprised by the lack of Dylan fans. What about Woodie Guthrie anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Netwhizkid - can you get through any post without mentioning your hatred for FF? It is clearly an obsession. I mean, I might vote FF and have laughed heartily at seeing Spring dumped on his ass by Tommy Mac Junior last time out in this county, but get over it...

Surprised by the lack of Dylan fans. What about Woodie Guthrie anyone?
    Woodie Guthrie is top-class. Got the essential Woodie Guthrie there. What a buy!
    Its hard to work out exactly what messages some of Dylan's songs carry (c.f Changing of the Guards)
    If its music and politics you're looking for, look no further than the Orange Order and the Wolfe Tones.

Advertisement