Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dell W2600

Options
  • 09-11-2005 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭

as the title says iv my eye on this lcd tv
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/lcd_w2600?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

what i want to know is it any good for watching sky tv and playing xbox and hopefully xbox 360 games

is it good quality

is 764 euro a good price

if this tv isnt that good can you advice me on a better lcd tv

has to below 800 euro and around 28" size [my room is small]

just to know i dont know much about lcd tv's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i was having a gander of these dell lcd's, i wonder what others think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You're righ on the limit of getting some good tv's just if you could stretch a up to 900 on price.

That dell is ok - but its not too current tbh. There's no HDMI plug (the new 'digital scart') which will be very common over the next coupla years.

There's also no mention of HDCP (Hi Def Copy Protection) Compatability which will be essential if you want to watch the High Def transmissions coming from Sky next year.

In summary - okay for now but not future proofed (as much as these things can be)

If you are only interested in Normal Sky and Terrestrial and DVD's then you will be ok. Although I would suggest a new Samsung 850 or 950 DVD player for around 120 euros which can upscale normal dvd's to really do justice to the higher resolutions that an LCD is capable of.

Komplett and Pixmania are 2 companies that ship LCD tvs to ireland. IF you know anyone up north or in the UK there are a lot of cracking deals up/over there from sites that only deliver to the uk.

There also seem to be a good few german websites that have good prices and will ship to Ireland.

Pick up one of the TV/Video mags from Easons and check their buyers guides to see what to look for. (What Video and Widescreen TV, Home cinema choice, what hifi etc etc.)

One more point LCD's are still coming down in price - there is probably going to be a glut of LCD panels on the market so prices for the next couple of years will be going down further....

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just saw a nice lcd on komplett

a LG 26" LCD-TV RZ-26LZ55, 600:1, 1280x768, 8ms, HD-ready

if i remember right thats good for playing pc games on

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/165714/art/lg/rz26lz55-hd-ready-26-lcd.html
    this is the link to pixmania one

komplett is cheaper

what do ye think of the Lg monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Have a look at savastore.com in the UK, they're not bad for TVs. Only £25 delivery to Ireland for a 32" LCD. Don't think they stock LG though.

Has anyone seen a response time for the Dell? Doesn't seem to list it on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

MOH: Has anyone seen a response time for the Dell?

It's a rather dull 26ms. Not great for gaming. Should be fine for TV/Media PC though.

{(-_-)}HeadShoT**: The the LG you linked has the same HD support as the Dell but a far superior response rate and slightly better contrast, albeit for a couple of hundred quid more.. I've ordered the Dell 26", so if you wait a few weeks, I can let you know what the performance is like for gaming(PC/PS2), but I wouldn't expect too much..

Dell:
    Plus points: Dual tuners, great connectivity, Dell next-day collection/return, price.
    Minus points: Poor response rate, no HDMI, Dell badge!

BTW: Check out the Pixmania feedback on this forum before you place an order with them. I'll let you make up your own mind, but I'd steer clear.

• Advertisement

MOH: Has anyone seen a response time for the Dell?

It's a rather dull 26ms. Not great for gaming. Should be fine for TV/Media PC though.

{(-_-)}HeadShoT**: I've ordered the Dell 26", so if you wait a few weeks, I can let you know what the performance is like for gaming(PC/PS2), but I wouldn't expect too much..

QUOTE]ya ill wait no prob dont forget to come back and tell us your opinan

just having a look at lcd tvs and this came to my eye

http://www.shopireland.ie/electronics/reviews/B0009SXXES/2/

is it any good

its says its hd ready

advice needed please

whats better the dell one or video 7

im buying a lcd tv for watching tv and getting the most out of xbox 360

Price update:
    Dell W2600 LCD now 565 euro.
    Dell W1900 LCD now 384 euro.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/lcd?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Price update:
    Dell W2600 LCD now 565 euro.
    Dell W1900 LCD now 384 euro.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/lcd?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

wow what a price drop

wow what a price drop

Meh. tbh I find that rather scarey. It smacks of desperation to get rid of old stock before new stuff arrives. If there is one thing certain its that LCD prices are going to fall much further and specs are going to get much better.

Its rather high response time suggests it wont be much good for games or moving tv scenes.

Have a look on the dell US site - I would lay good odds that there is a superior model already on sale there.

Ok its a good deal if you are desperate and you have got to buy sooner or later but hmmm......... Not convinced myself.

• Advertisement

The Irish site has already got their latest models for sale.
    I'm sitting in front of mine at the moment, and the quality is excellent.
    Dark movies, football matches, action scenes, all perfect.

Only regret is that I didn't wait a week and pay 200 quid less for it.

I've read rumours that Dell are moving out of the consumer home entertainment market, or else they're shifting this stock in favour of their new larger digital-tuner biased sets. Either way, it's an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I asked this on the Bargain Alerts thread but:

How does it perform as a PC monitor? Could you browse the web, game, watch DVDs etc?

quarryman wrote:
    I asked this on the Bargain Alerts thread but:
    How does it perform as a PC monitor? Could you browse the web, game, watch DVDs etc?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50438801&postcount=44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

My current PC [Medion] set up with printer etc, is in my bedroom. Could I place the Dell LCD TV/Monitor in the 'sitting room' and link up my PC set up to it without having too move/disturb my CPU ?... It would be great to be sitting in my favourite armchair in the sitting room, and be able to go online using my wireless keyboard & mouse, while using PIP ?...:confused:

As I am no techie, the answer may be straightforward, but not too me.

Thanks.

P.:cool:

afaik the only way to do that would be with a massive cable run running a vga cable from the bedroom to the lounge. The easiest way I can think of to do what you want is to stick a cheap and quiet pc in the lounge. You could then control either pc from the other one via remote desktop or vnc.

Another way would be to get a Windows Media Center Edition PC, and have an MCE extender downstairs - but that would be more expensive still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

this 26" is probably too big as pc screen...

but says it is used on my computer, how far should i sit back away from the lcd tv? :D

since the 19" is gone, i'm counting to get the 26"...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I think you may have also missed out on the 26 inch one too. There was a mad rush on them earlier on today and they are now sold out. Well thats what Dell CS are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Paddy20 wrote:
    My current PC [Medion] set up with printer etc, is in my bedroom. Could I place the Dell LCD TV/Monitor in the 'sitting room' and link up my PC set up to it without having too move/disturb my CPU ?... It would be great to be sitting in my favourite armchair in the sitting room, and be able to go online using my wireless keyboard & mouse, while using PIP ?...:confused:

As I am no techie, the answer may be straightforward, but not too me.

Thanks.

Yeah it's possible, but it'd be an akward setup. Your wireless keyboard and mouse setup, how's that going to work without line of sight to the receiver?, it'd be too far?

Leonard wrote:
    I think you may have also missed out on the 26 inch one too. There was a mad rush on them earlier on today and they are now sold out. Well thats what Dell CS are saying.

I ordered one from the web at around 6:30!, I hope it goes through!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Laguna wrote:
    I ordered one from the web at around 6:30!, I hope it goes through!

Yeah, I also order a couple today at 1pm and was told that my orders were deffo confirmed by the CSR, but I have yet to receive any confirmation emails. I have the two order numbers which he gave me, but thats all I have. Heres hoping we manage to get them

• Advertisement

Leonard wrote:
    Heres hoping we manage to get them

You and I both mate!, I'd say we're safe enough, the offer doesn't expire until the 23rd and I think they'll honour the orders they received and not take anymore as the link for the W2600 is dead. I think we got in just in time.

Well I'm obviously not getting one now, no confirmation email for me 24hrs on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Laguna wrote:
    Yeah it's possible, but it'd be an akward setup. Your wireless keyboard and mouse setup, how's that going to work without line of sight to the receiver?, it'd be too far?

Having had the W2600 installed in the sitting room for a couple of days. I am now considering moving my PC to the same location. I do not think the CPU fan noise would be distracting as it would only be on when I am using the net.

Still, thinking about it,as there is no real rush :) .

Hope you get your's ok.

Good luck.

Advertisement