Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc Brake retrofit

Options
  • 10-11-2005 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a semi old bike - but it is good! A raleigh frame with reynolds 501 tubes. Traditional '10-speed racer' except it is 12 speed. It has 700c tyres.
    As I commute I want to be able to stop and disc brakes seem to do the job best of all so I want to retrofit them on the front only.
    My forks do not have the disc brake attachment points so I need to replace the forks.
    The Kona project 2 700c forks would appear to do the job - but they are billed as being for mountain bikes (MTB).

Does anyone know if they will fit?

Thanks to all for the bulletin board - great idea!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

Not sure how old your bike is, but if you have steel rims you will get a big improvement in braking by changing to alloy rims. This is probably the best upgrade you can make to an old bike.

In any case you will need a new front wheel if you decide to upgrade to disks. You will also need the disk, cable or hydraulic tube and new brake lever. If you're buying new parts it can get expensive.

Re the forks, most '10-speed' type bikes have a 1" quill-type stem, these are getting rarer these days as most are now 1 1/8" aheadset-type. Measure the diameter of your steerer tube before you go buying new forks. It is likely the new fork is 1 1/8". Another thing to consider is that mountain bikes use 26" wheels, so make sure your current wheelset fits with sufficient clearances before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rossa101

Thanks - my forks do have a 1 inch tube.

Great to get some help.

Advertisement