Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Courtney Show - Pure Rubbish!

• 10-11-2005 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

As the title says, this was trollop! Anyone else see and what ya think!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spfeno1

I watched Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith but wife watched it and said it was s**te - corny , cringeworthy games and other muck !!!

Glad I watched Star Wars !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The start was embarassing, who told him it would be a good idea to do the monologue? He seemed to be trying to be any American chat show host with a dash of Graham Norton - it was horrible. Also, was that a hotal pub it was filmed in? Nothing says "we expect this show to succeed" than having to entice the audience with alcohol. Speaking of the audience, half of them must have been cast members, because for the first half of the show the laughter sounded as forced as anything I've heard.

TV3 have done it again lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

A piss-poor Graham Norton rip-off.

It was filmed in that pub/club on Mount Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

flicked over to the anne diamond and hector/barry interviews only,

fiound them entertaining interesting and brendan courtney didn't do anything which could be construed as annoying.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't you mean Anne Robinson and Hector/Ristard?
    You obviously found them very interesting! :)

Wasn't a great show to be honest. Interviews were good, but everything in between (games, etc.) were very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

I thought it was pretty good to be honest, I wasn't expecting much so I was pleasantly surprised. I thought Courtney came across competent and personable and that the interviews were good. On the downside, thought the games were a little lame and that the audience weren't too into them.

Overall it was a little scrappy in places but it was only the first show and I assume that it will get better. I will be tuning in next week.

I should probably mention that I didn't see the start so can't comment on that monologue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The start was embarassing, who told him it would be a good idea to do the monologue? He seemed to be trying to be any American chat show host with a dash of Graham Norton - it was horrible. Also, was that a hotal pub it was filmed in? Nothing says "we expect this show to succeed" than having to entice the audience with alcohol. Speaking of the audience, half of them must have been cast members, because for the first half of the show the laughter sounded as forced as anything I've heard.

TV3 have done it again lads.

It was filmed in Howl to the Moon. There was one complimentary drink beforehand. No drinks during the filming. The laughter was entirely forced, it was almost pity laughter. They had Paddy Courtney out beforehand trying to get the crowd going. It was very heavy handed though - he kept saying things like "laugh even if its not funny". It was unbelievably contrived.

The monologue was filled with some of the worst jokes I've ever heard. I missed the first few seconds, so I'm not sure if they aired them all - they were rough. Even worse was the fact that they reshot one or two of them - so the audience had to pretend laugh at a bad joke they had already heard.

Advice to the producers... either

(a) use canned laughter.

or

(b) give out a lot more alcohol beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roar83

i didnt see the show, but i heard he used a very inappropriate joke with regards to Limerick,............
    Does anyone know what remarks he made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

That standup comic thing at the start was brutal! The jokes weren't funny, he was nervous and his movements were so exaggeratedly camp i thought his limbs were going to fall off. The interviews themselves weren't too bad. They need to make some changes to have any chance, I think as he settles into it it might improve too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

John R wrote:
    A piss-poor Graham Norton rip-off.
    Yeah he was trying a bit too hard to do the whole Graham Norton thing and it so wasn't working for him. I tried watching bits of it but it was just unwatchable for me. What are TV3 thinking... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

Tried watching some of it but the minute that Hector clown came on I had to turn it off , it might get better but knowing TV3 I would'nt be too confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Tried watching some of it but the minute that Hector clown came on I had to turn it off , it might get better but knowing TV3 I would'nt be too confident.

Hector wasn't as annoying as he usually is on chat show.

I am going to give it one more chance, so will watch it again.

Both Hector and Ristard would be better presenters. Perhaps Ristard should have written the monologue for Courtney.

Most of the monologue comprised of many of the jokes from The Panel on Monday such as the Dyslexic Post Woman.

As for the guests

Anne Robinson was good however Courtney try to make it light. The Vox Pop was good, the little girl with the red hair calling anne a cow was funny IMO.
    Ciaran from Corrie (whats his name?!) boyzone lad was also entertaining but only because of Anne.
    Ristard said very little other then to do impersonations. (Would have like to have seen the show from New Zealand.)
    Hector is well able to talk and is a good guest IMO.

However all of the guest seem to be very Late Late, Turbutiy, Dunphy type guests. :rolleyes:

Over all it was a mix of TFI friday, Jonathan Ross, Dunphy, Conan, Leno, Kenny and Byrne, sure how could they go wrong.

But after total slating it I will tune in next week hopefully it will get better. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That guy puts the camp in 'let's start a campaign to get him off the air'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Haha.
    I didn't watch it, but it wouldn't have lasted 0.2 seconds anyway.

Here's hoping Shirley Temple Bar won't get it's own show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I've been saving a jar of acid to throw at Anne Robinson. Imagine my disappointment when flicking over and catching the end of this tripe, I spotted her. Oh well, another time, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I didnt see the monologue, but i heard about his Limerick comments on the radio! Considering it was so scripted I'm surprised they decided to get rid of viewers from Irelands third city! And not like during the show, right away... before it really started, talk about setting the standard!
    Ah well, I'll check it out next week, i think comedian guests would be a great idea, similar to the offside show! And Brendan needs to tone it down abit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I thought the monologue was awful and the interview with Anne Robinson was ok. However after Keith Duffy came on I thought Brendan relaxed a little and the show was pretty good. I am sure it will get better. I will tune in next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Yes - see how it develops, if at all.
    Courtney looking at his cards all the time was amateurish, he was probably nervous.
    I felt a bit embarrassed though having Anne on, the experienced UK media professional she is - that this is what passes for televison in Ireland.
    Not that the programme was that bad, but it was a bit scatty and thin on substance. She seemed bemused if nothing else - the look of pity you'd give a child trying to do something it can't...

The vision mixing was excellent, nice and fast unlike the aul ones out in RTÉ with arthritis in their fingers.

All the promotional crap is so irritating though - really puts me off watching this kind of stuff on TV3. Five minute ad breaks, plus advertising stings, plus competition information - couldn't be arsed sitting through all that muck.
    Similarly the frequency of breaks is equally annoying, as was especially that final ad break, which then returned with a pathetic 5-10 mins before the programme finished.
    TV3 turns straight into crappy American televison mode with prime time home-produced content - like watching Opera with those feckin breaks.

"Breezy"

The Sunday Business Post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Elmo wrote:
    "Breezy"

The Sunday Business Post

Mmm, you could hear the breeze after a lot of his monologue jokes...

• Advertisement

Any ideas on how the ratings are for this crapfest?

I could be wrong but less than 169,000 viewers it didn't appear on TV3's top twenty for the week ending the 13/11/05

http://www.medialive.ie/Television/top-tw.html

I havn't seen very many reviews of this show.

I like to see what the critics have to say. Only Colin Murphy had it on the Bizzard of Odd last night.

Elmo wrote:
    I havn't seen very many reviews of this show.

I like to see what the critics have to say. Only Colin Murphy had it on the Bizzard of Odd last night.

I'm told it was slammed in one of the rags - the quote of choice being "a poor-mans Graham Norton", which is what we're generally saying here anyway. Colin Murphy seemed to like it?! My respect for him took a little nosedive when he said that.

Colin Murphy seemed to like it?!

It didn't seem to me that way. He seems to hate Turbirty :D

I saw a small bit of him interveiwing Dana, which seemed alright.

I think he is trying to get in to some kind of Brendan Courtney mode with out the references to Gramham Norton being applied.

this show might improve :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I don't care much about the show cos I won't be watching, but if they don't stop showing that stupid ad for it (fabulosach...:mad: ) I'll hunt the f*cker down and strangle him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

I hate this 'gay' is funny crap. we know you're gay, it's not funny though, nobody cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Atrocity wrote:
    I hate this 'gay' is funny crap. we know your gay, it's not funny though, nobody cares.

I was thinking along the same lines when I was watching it. I won't be watching it again in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I was thinking along the same lines when I was watching it. I won't be watching it again in a hurry.

A pure load of crap and he then trying to be popular by coming out with outragiously controversol statements.

it seems TV3 haven't learnt from their mistakes on the 'Dunphy' show :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

it seems TV3 haven't learnt from their mistakes on the 'Dunphy' show

I amn't one to defend TV3 but ....

I thought the Dunphy Show was good, it was just stupid to go up againist the Late Late.

I take back my last comment about Brendan Courtney, it is and prob will remain pure sh1t.

The dance at the end of the show :rolleyes: lets rip off Gramham Norton, who happens to be gay and happens also to be funny, but its a coincidence.

Advertisement