Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay rabbit

• 10-11-2005 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Should post in LGB but here 1st :D

2 rabbits one 9 months other 12 weeks both meant to be male , big one keeps trying to hump the little one, like constantly. Dont really want to chop his nads off is there another way to stop the little bugger?

Someone down the road has 2 female rabbits asked him could our big one have some loving time with them for a bit as some sort of answer.

How the hell do you stop them ?

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

The baby one might well be female, they're hard to sex when they're that young. Separate them until you know for definite the baby is a male in case it gets pregnant. It's common for rabbits to hump other animals regardless of gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It could be more of a dominence thing, the chances of them both being the same sex could be slim. You need to seperate them now but let them see each other and then have them spayed/neutered at 6 months of age. Females rabbits have an 85% chance of contracting uterine cancer if you don't plus there are enough unwanted rabbits in rescues at the moment.
    Letting your rabbit mate with another just to solve that problem will not work, you will end up with dozens of rabbits and unwanted litters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Shop said they were both male and would buy back any offspring, no way im getting his nads chopped thats just wrong.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

It's not cruel to get them neutered, it saves alot of rabbits suffering in the long run. We should all chip in and get you on of those "my first rabbit" books.

I don't think you should be allowed to keep rabbits, you obviously know nothing about them! And its not cruel to get them neutered, it saves alot of rabbits suffering in the long run. We should all chip in and get you on of those "my first rabbit" books so you could know what you were talking about!

Can i chop bits off you so that your not a nuisance start poppin kids out? Cos its awfully messy and you may get sick from kids......
    Didnt think so so why the fcuk would you do that to an animal , i think the whole recreating thing is like their thing that ehh that nature dude/dudette gave them. Be kinda cruel to lop bits off cos they a bit of a nuisance :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

KdjaC wrote:
    Can i chop bits off you so that your not a nuisance start poppin kids out? Cos its awfully messy and you may get sick from kids......
    Didnt think so so why the fcuk would you do that to an animal , i think the whole recreating thing is like their thing that ehh that nature dude/dudette gave them. Be kinda cruel to lop bits off cos they a bit of a nuisance :rolleyes:

kdjac
    I agree, neutering is a horrible practise, weather it be rabbit, dog or horny teenager... as much as we'd all like to, it's still wrong.

That is totally irresponsible and so is the pet shop!

Neutering is NOT cruel, the animals are asleep during the op and are given pain meds after the op. Rabbits are rules by their hormones and some can become aggressive towards their owners and other rabbits if not neutered.
    Do you actually realise how many litters the rabbits can have?
    The pet shop does not know that they are both male I am 99% sure of that.
    Rabbits can be very hard to sex at a young age and pet shops get it wrong all the time ...even vets get it wrong.

It's people with that attitude that end up begging rescues to help them in the end when pet shops have too many rabbits to sell and won't take any of them from people who are breeding.
    Rescues are constantly cleaning up the mess people who do not spay and neuter make!

Grow up and take responsibility for your pets this goes for anyone with the outdated and irresponsible attitude on thinking neutering and spauying is cruel.

It's more cruel to have an animal constantly being bred and homed or housed to totally unsuitable people, pet shops don't check out the homes that rabbits are going to.

Buy a decent rabbit book and have a bit of cop on.

That is totally irresponsible and so is the pet shop!

Neutering is NOT cruel, the animals are asleep during the op and are given pain meds after the op.

So then its natural for them to hump each other regardless of sex as 1st reply pointed out.
    Rabbits are rules by their hormones and some can become aggressive towards their owners and other rabbits if not neutered.

So are humans should i get the snip for my kids and ovaries removed from the girls? I mean seems most people here think we are better than animals so then we shouldnt do whats natural.
    It's people with that attitude that end up begging rescues to help them in the end when pet shops have too many rabbits to sell and won't take any of them from people who are breeding.
    Rescues are constantly cleaning up the mess people who do not spay and neuter make!

Its people like that that look for answers to their questions ,why buy a book when there are so many people here who know the answer again thanks to 1st reply to this thread.

Buy a decent rabbit book and have a bit of cop on.

Its people like you and that other mad rabbit nad snipping person who should get a licence to use the internet, now wheres that eye poking device when you need it.

kdjac

edited: personal abuse snipped.

its ok to have conflicting arguements, but attack the reason for the stupid opinions, not the poster...

im_a_boxa wrote:
    i agree, you're totally the type of person that should not be allowed own pets. also you'll also instill this stupidity within your children. thanks dude.

Wow another Doolittle born with the inbuilt knowledge of all things animal.

Wow i envy you folk, walking tru the forest animals come and sing with you cos you know like everything but one question How the **** do you know it doesnt hurt the rabbit? Did it tell you? Or is it some sort of Doolittle thing?
    Or did you read it in a book? I read that some lad was born without his ma n da having sex, good book but total bollox.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

So are humans should i get the snip for my kids and ovaries removed from the girls? I mean seems most people here think we are better than animals so then we shouldnt do whats natural.

There really aren't the same options for rabbits that there are for people. It's really hard to get one to wear a condom or take the pill on a daily basis for instance... :rolleyes:

Re breeding in general (not directed at OP): You've chosen to take on the responsibilty of another living creature - you keep it captive so you have to provide for it. If you allow it to breed then you are responsible for it's young. So, if you breed from your rabbit as often as it is fertile you will end up loads of babies. You rehome them - you're a caring owner. BUT some of the people you rehome them to are not caring. So those baby rabbits are mistreated, not fed, abandoned at the end of a garden, abused, killed by pet dogs or unsupervised children. They wouldn't have been alive to suffer had you not allowed their parents to breed. Is it really worth it? The rabbit is not living in its natural environment - so it's not right to argue it should be allowed to "live naturally". If you want your rabbit to have a natural life then don't domesticate it and keep it as a pet.

Whatever about neutering male rabbits - female rabbits have a scarily high chance of getting ovarian cancer if they're not neutered. In the wild predators usually get them before the cancer does but in captivity they suffer with it til it kills them.

I neuter female rabbits 100% & approx 50% of the males, depending on a lot of factors. Mostly I'll get the pretty boys done - people who rehome rabbits from me are more likely to want to breed from the pretty ones once I'm gone. I'll do the aggressive, oversexed ones - I dislike being projectile pee'd at from across a room & I really don't like having my foot & leg humped/ attacked.

All other debates aside - once you have a pet you are responsible for it's upkeep, wellbeing & general care. We all need to do the best we can to provide a good life for the animal we have taken from it's natural life. (And don't tell me it's ok cause you personally didn't take it from the wild - pet rabbits wouldn't be for sale if people didn't buy them.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's a very simple solution to rabbits having too many litters...

...STEW ! :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

KdjaC wrote:
    Should post in LGB but here 1st :D

2 rabbits one 9 months other 12 weeks both meant to be male , big one keeps trying to hump the little one, like constantly. Dont really want to chop his nads off is there another way to stop the little bugger?

This is no joke. When I was cleaning out the rabbit hutch once, my cat (at that stage @ 8 months old) went into the hutch .. the rabbit jumped up on its back! :eek: No joke.
    It could be more of a dominence thing

I totally agree with what Guineapigrescue said there, in this case, I just took it as being a territorial thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Capall86

Neutering is NOT cruel, the animals are asleep during the op and are given pain meds after the op. Rabbits are rules by their hormones and some can become aggressive towards their owners and other rabbits if not neutered.
    The pet shop does not know that they are both male I am 99% sure of that.
    Rabbits can be very hard to sex at a young age and pet shops get it wrong all the time ...even vets get it wrong.

I'd like to point out that vets rarely get it wrong... and what is wiuth all th vet bashing that goes on in this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

KdjaC wrote:
    big one keeps trying to hump the little one, like constantly.

Call them Erasureand teach them a song, then get rich :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Capall86 wrote:
    I'd like to point out that vets rarely get it wrong... and what is wiuth all th vet bashing that goes on in this forum?

Vets are only human, none of them know everything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

A vet can make mistakes just like everyone else.

I'm not vet bashing at all, in Ireland there are not that many vets that are used to dealing with rabbits and other exotics..although this is increasing which is great.
    However vets mostly deal with large farm animals or dogs and cats that's just the facts, rabbits are tricky and anyone can make a mistake with them so the safest option is just to have the vet have the animal spayed/neutered.
    Happy to say however that more and more people are taking their small animals to the vets now and there is now a bigger demand for vets that deal with exotics.
    I've been very happy with our vets who have been great with our smallies especially the rabbits and guinea pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

If your gonna take the stance that neutering is wrong and not "natural", then think about this, keeping animals in cages is not "natural", feeding them store bought food is not "natural", taming them down to be a pet is not "natural", if they get sick will you medicate them, cause thats not "natural" either. Get some sense and get your rabbit neutered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I'm not vet bashing at all, in Ireland there are not that many vets that are used to dealing with rabbits and other exotics..although this is increasing which is great.
    However vets mostly deal with large farm animals or dogs and cats that's just the facts, rabbits are tricky and anyone can make a mistake with them so the safest option is just to have the vet have the animal spayed/neutered.
    Happy to say however that more and more people are taking their small animals to the vets now and there is now a bigger demand for vets that deal with exotics.
    I've been very happy with our vets who have been great with our smallies especially the rabbits and guinea pigs.

lose the animated sig please
    rules of the site are no animated sigs.

thanks

Didn't see the rules about that.

..Back on to topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

theyre rabbits FFS
    thats what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

i would just like to say humans HAVE CONTROL over sex animals DONT they smell/see a female in heat and hump the life outta them.

and letting them get laid once and then getting them spayed or neutered is wrong, get it done before they have sex and have unwanted litters that end up being thrown into the local river.

how would you feel if you had sex once and told "right thats enough, you can NEVER do that again!"?

Advertisement