Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac' development

Options
  • 10-11-2005 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

this thread got me thinking - since I'm blowing every last penny I have in savings on computer stuff, should I go and get myself a mac mini?

there are legitimate reasons: I'm studying computer science (well... "BScH in Software Systems" in NCI -but thats just one part of my 'learning') and would love to know the ins and outs of every computer system. I would say I'm proficient at programming for windows, not at all for linux (thats on the cards.. as soon as I get the chance) and ditto for mac.

So heres the clincher: is it worth €500 odd for a mac mini for 'educational reasons' ?, as in "is there a market for programming, and general knowlege of the use of Macintosh computers" or am I just wasting my time? (it would be great if this was something I could stick on a CV to get a couple extra €€€

(sorry if I'm a bit haphazard tonight - got a comp. architecture exam this morning and should be studying instead of talking to you fine folks)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I've been thinking of doing the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

It ain't going to make diddly difference when it comes to getting a job unless its a job doing programming on a mac. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

There are languages/apps that work on Mac just like any other OS e.g. perl, Java, MySQL, Gnome, Apache and probably many more.

Knowledge of these on the Mac would easily transfer over to other platforms, especially Unix platforms - a big draw of OS X (for developers) is the Unix core to the Mac - a cool command prompt, at long last!

Gnome (as featured on Linux and now Solaris [I work with opensolaris, hence the plug]) has been ported to Mac so if you messed around with that, the experience should transfer over to Unix easily.

I don't think it's that big a risk.

Advertisement