Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing - advice needed

Options
  • 10-11-2005 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi

need to replace a fence between side of my house and neighbours, bit over 20 feet. Was thinking about trying to DIY it with ready made panel fence type stuff, not sure how successful I would actually be at puttingthis in place though!

Was wondering if anyone knows of any fencing companies in Wexford town area that are good. Is the price of getting fencing done professionally much higher than the DIY option. any advice welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Ace Fencing not too far away from you outside Tullow Co. Carlow do all this all over the place. They are pretty competitive and have all types of panels on display just outside Tullow on Rathvilly road. Look them up in the book and give them a call. There's another in the 05 directory I think you'll find for Donohue fencing which install fencing all over the place not sure if they do the panel one though. Any of them will give you an average cost per metre on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

chickey wrote:
    Hi

need to replace a fence between side of my house and neighbours, bit over 20 feet. Was thinking about trying to DIY it with ready made panel fence type stuff, not sure how successful I would actually be at puttingthis in place though!

Was wondering if anyone knows of any fencing companies in Wexford town area that are good. Is the price of getting fencing done professionally much higher than the DIY option. any advice welcome :)

Thats a very high fence - sure you dont need planning permission for it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yoman

Ha! I think it was the length he was referring to not the height :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Honestly Chikey, that fencing is very easy to put up. All you need is a sledge hammer, a tape measure and a screwdriver. Also an extra pair of hands is useful. Give it a go, you might surprise yourself.

Looks like you need about 3 or 4 panels and four or five posts plus the brakets and screws. Most builders providers or garden centres should be able to sell you the lot. Shouldn't cost you much more than €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hey,

fencing dead easy but as they say gotta be done right. Are you using concrete posts and kicker boards or timber posts. Either way forget using the sledge the only way to put up decent fence is to dig the holes and pop in the posts. The posts will be 8 foot so 2 foot in ground and 6 above. Use fairly dry concrete so they set quick i.e next day. Screw the panels of use a nail gun to avoid batin the prevebials out of the newly erected posts the next day when you put on panels and ye doin yourself is way cheaper fnecin contractors charge like hell for what is basically donkey work but thats Ireland.

give it a lash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

I don't mean to hijack this thread but is there an actual standard for installation of panel fencing?

My builders have used this stuff in my backgarden with concrete posts and kicker boards. The boundary with the neighbours has already gone wobbly - it couldnt stand up to the last weeks weather.

The rest of it appears alright but i'm not convinced it will stand the test of time. Is there some standard for this sort of thing I can reference in order to make a case for them to do it again?

Am I right in thinking that this sort of fencing - when installed correctly - shouldnt rattle in the wind and therefore I shouldnt sign off on it until this is corrected?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Sam,

I'm sure there is a standard try possibly the homebond book or definitely it will be laid out in the planning permission of the house you have to give full details of boundary fences / walls / hedges etc. I have worked with a fencin contractor for a while and do some myself ( god bless the nixer) but never saw a set of rules etc. I suppose that it really is dependent on who you get. As regards rattling if you have concrete posts and kicker boards with the panel slotted in then yes there will be some rattle of the panels in the concrete grooves, they are a dirt cheap fence as the "timber" is real light. The answer to this is to wedge the panels in the groove the concrete kicker boards will also rattle a little just check underneath to see if they have them all sitting up on stones rather than level on the ground, its easier for the fencer less digging.

Like anything in your new house you have paid for it if you are not happy say so and get if done right to your stisfaction a good operator should not leave a job the aint satisied with

Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Thanks for that Eddie.
    eddiej wrote:
    Sam,
    As regards rattling if you have concrete posts and kicker boards with the panel slotted in then yes there will be some rattle of the panels in the concrete grooves, they are a dirt cheap fence as the "timber" is real light.
    I suppose the rattling isnt a big deal -and i know that i can put it right myself handy enough anyways..
    eddiej wrote:
    Sam,
    The answer to this is to wedge the panels in the groove the concrete kicker boards will also rattle a little just check underneath to see if they have them all sitting up on stones rather than level on the ground, its easier for the fencer less digging.
    Right on the money - they set the kicker boards on stones and bits of timber!
    eddiej wrote:
    Like anything in your new house you have paid for it if you are not happy say so and get if done right to your stisfaction
    Yeah - thats the principal i'm working on.

Advertisement