Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Money for motivation - acceptable for big clubs / nations?

• 10-11-2005 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4423308.stm

this is kicking off a big debate at the moment in England.

Can anyone remember if Ireland had such a scheme during our campaigns?
    I'm pretty sure we had too.

I'm sure we all know about the bonuses that some lower league teams are promised if they further progress in cups... - (some keepers promised a BMW if they kept a clean sheet etc...) and I think this adds to the magic of them in someway.

But does a player, who already earns over £100k a week, really get motivated more by a monetary bonus for such a massive tournament?
    Is the aspect of pride and wearing the country jersey not good enough?

I personally think that for a team like England, its just too extreme... perhaps other nations / clubs. Then again, I just have to accept that football is a profession... and money talks.

Is money for motivation acceptable? 12 votes

It's not right in any case - pride is all thats needed
    0% 0 votes
    It's ok - only in lower leagues / nations
    58% 7 votes
    It's fine - football is a profession. It's part of the game
    41% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

whiskeyman wrote:

Can anyone remember if Ireland had such a scheme during our campaigns?
    I'm pretty sure we had too.

Yes we did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it should be the opposite. I'd have NO bonus money and deduct a % from their basic wages based on poor performances/results.

Alternatively I would be in favour of a Saddam Hussein style corporal punishment scheme for players at full-time club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Pigman II wrote:
    I think it should be the opposite. I'd have NO bonus money and deduct a % from their basic wages based on poor performances/results.

Alternatively I would be in favour of a Saddam Hussein style corporal punishment scheme for players at full-time club level.

Pigman II for Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Personally i'd think that its a waste of money really but if they feel it will help them win the trophy, then who am i to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I would be in favour of lower wages and higher win bounes - might make players try harder. instead of paying 100K a week pay 50K and have a 70K bonus for winning and 20K for drawing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think it's a bit ridiculous if players at that level need an incentive for playing, especially a monetary one.

Pigman II wrote:
    I think it should be the opposite. The money is already there and they LOSE it based on bad performances/results.
    Don't referee's performances get judged in a similar sort that way, ie. they start the season with say 100 points and then they get deducted points for every bad decision they make. They don't get points for good performances just deducted for bad ones.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

i like the idea of lower basic wages but the potential for higher overall ernings from bonuses for winning. However when it comes to playing for your country and especially in such a huge tournament, i would hope that's[playing for your country] all the motivation one would need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

anyone that has studied management/hrm, will tell you that money is a poor motivator. especially when it comes to footballers who have millions already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

What about them losing money if they don't play well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think its a really sad state of affairs if a player needs money as motivation for playing well in a World Cup. Its the biggest tournament on the planet and you are representing your country, if you cant get motivated by national pride there is something seriously wrong with you

• Advertisement
Advertisement