Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Rover G4 Challenge

• 10-11-2005 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I just got selected for the Irish knockout stage of this. Its on Nov 26th somewhere in the UK.

Is there many more doing it out there?
    If so, any idea what we'll be doing over there?

I come from a triathlon background so got to learn how to rock climb, absail, kayak, canoe, orienteer, canyon(?), mountain bike, raft build, white water raft, coastaleer(?), bugee jump and off road drive in the next 2 weeks. I don't fancy my chances.

Wes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Congrats! When's the start date?

The trick to rockclimbing when you're a complete beginner is to push with your legs, not pull with your arms and always tell yourself to breath and relax your grip. Kinda like a mantra 'breath and relax, breath and relax'. Especially when your scared. When abseiling put your feet flat against the wall with straight legs and lean right back. Most people when they first start abseiling just use their toes and try to remain as upright as possible, if your feet slip you'll bang your nose on the rock. After 10 or 15 feet you'll start to enjoy yourself loads. Free absiels are the best, that's when your hanging in free space on the rope.

Dunno about kayaking etc. Canyoning is like a river run, where you travel down a river by what ever means required be it swimming, running, climbing. Did a mini one once in scotland and it was loads of fun.

Rest of the stuff I don't know about and you wouldn't get me on the end of a bungee cord :eek:

G'luck anyway and keep us up to date with your training and the race.

How did you get selected? And where exactly is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wes1

Hi,
    Thx for the tips.

Its on Nov 26th and 27th, I'm not sure where yet. They don't give out too much information, I suppose so some don't get an advantage.

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Adventures/G4_Challenge/G4_Overview.htm
    is the website.
    And this is a report from the South African selections:
    http://www.landyonline.co.za/news/land_rover_g4challenge.htm

I entered via an online link a mate sent months ago and forgot all about it. I think they have picked about 40 people from Ireland from different sporting backgrounds and different regions. They will go up against eachother and they pick 3 from that to go on to the next round.
    I'd be ok on the cycling and running parts of it but everything else, I'd be a complete novice at. I don't mind though, it sounds like fun and I plan on enjoying myself at the very least least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

So this is for the 2006 challenge then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wes1

Yip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Andy1977

Hi wes1

I've been picked for this too along with another guy from the tri club i'm in!

I reckon it'll be pretty tough but with triatlon fitness we should all be ok (hopefully).

As far as the adventure thing goes, I cant see any of the competitors being masters at all the events, so as long as we give it our best shot we should all do alright. I think there's a big emphasis on the team and strategy side of the comp.

See you at Dublin Airport

Andy

PS if anyone has any more info, please post here. Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement