Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my hamster?

Options
  • 10-11-2005 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

My hamster seems really low these days he hardly stops sleeping and seems uninterested in his wheel. I have no money to buy him new toys and he has a ball but i hardly have time to put him in the ball and supervise him.Anyone have any suggestions?Could it be like seasonal depression that ppl have?:confused: Also does anyone know if there is petshows for hamsters? Hes really amazingly beautiful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Delicious Treats

Besides the basic hamster mix, you can also supplement your pet's daily diet with a moderated amount of treats. Below are some delicious and healthy treats for your hamster.

* Dog biscuits
    * Chopped hard boiled eggs
    * Apple
    * Carrot
    * Corn
    * Water Chestnut
    * Broccoli and cauliflower
    * Plain oats

Health food (usually oil free and salt free) products such as museli, nuts and seeds.
    * Cheese and other milk products for strong bones
    * Cereal
    * Bread (you can spread a thin layer of peanut butter)
    * Diluted honey fed with a plastic spoon `

I remembered my hamster loved apples so i googled and found that they actually love all of the above (as treats, occasionly..). I'd tried one or two of those, see if it helps.

The fact that you don't have much time to play with him and the cold weather are probably why hes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

He's probably too cold, you'll need to move him to a warmer place.

As for shows: Unless he's from really good bloodlines (which pet shop hamsters won't be, if you bought him from a pet shop), and fulfills most of the criteria of the breed standard, he won't be suitable for showing. What breed is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

how old is he? when hamsters get older they will become more lazy and sleep more

but if it is to cold be very careful if you have a syrian hamster because they can hibernate and this could result into death because they are not prepared for hibernation. Make sure you give him lots of shredded toilet paper to nest in this is very safe because it is designed to disolve so they won't choke on it, do NOT give him any of the fluffy stuff you buy in pet stores because that is very harmful to them (they can choke on it and also it can wrap aroung there leg and break them) and also give him extra bedding.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How old is he? It could be just age, they do get tired as they get older. If he's in a cold room as said he might hibernate so keep him in a warm room. The other thing is it could be a health issue or infection but if he's eating normally and drinking normally and in general in good health aside from sleeping then it's probably old age. Syrians live 2 to 21/2 years if lucky a little longer. Not aware of any hamster shows though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

Thanks for your help i'll try some of your suggestions

• Advertisement
Advertisement