Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card?

Options
  • 10-11-2005 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hmm, this seems to be a common question lately. Anyway, I'm a 20yo student with, currently, no regular income, but income from contract work, plus a reasonable amount of money in bank. I've a small web-based business which I'm trying to expand, which means buying domains, renting servers and so on. This requires a credit card. At the moment I'm using a 3v thingy, but it's quite expensive and inconvenient. So my question is, would I be able to get a credit card without my parents signing for it? (Don't really want to involve them). I don't need a high limit or anything; in fact my ideal credit card would be one where you could only spend money you put on it... Anyway, any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Once you are over 18 then it shouldnt be a problem to get a credit card. Im looking at the GOLD BMNA (10% odd APR) - Tesco offer a credit card too with free internet fruad protection, but APR is something like 14%, which is still better than AIB/BOI etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was just about to start a thread on this :)

I've got a bank account with AIB... how would I go about setting up a credit card? I don't know much about banking or anything, so do I need to meet any criteria (have a certain amount of money, etc), or anything? I'll be 18 in a couple of months, so I'll probably need to wait til then, anyways.

I'm just lookin for a credit card to buy and sell things on Ebay and the likes, the parents are a bit skeptical about using the internet for anything, so I don't wanna be using their card. I, on the other hand, am pretty broke, so it doesn't bother me so much that my money could be stolen :p I'll be getting a job soon, though, hopefully.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

I'm a student and got an AIB student mastercard no problem a few months ago.
    6% APR for the first 12 months then it goes up to something awful like 16%.

Using the AIB 24 hour banking to make payments to the card so it makes it a lot handier.

Advertisement