Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Cyclists lodge complaint over 'Jealous Cyclist' advert

Options
  • 10-11-2005 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭

Press Release: Cyclists lodge complaint over 'Jealous Cyclist' advert

Date: Thursday 10 Nov. 2005

For Immediate use
    The Irish Cycling Campaign (ICC) have lodged a complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI) about Hibernian Insurance's current TV campaign. The specific issue is that the advert shows a cyclist standing by his bicycle looking towards a driver of van who is passing by and the caption next to the cyclist states "Jealous".

David Maher, PRO of the ICC explained "it indicates that cyclists are simply frustrated would-be motorists who simply lack a car. However Dublin Transportation office (DTO) surveys show that the majority cyclists in Dublin have access to a car but choose to cycle because it is a fast, healthy, efficient and clean mode of transport. The advert conveys an entirely inaccurate
    view of cycling which is motivated purely by commercial interest i.e. Hibernian generate revenue from motorists not cyclists and thus have a commercial interest in denigrating cyclists."

Maher continued "a more accurate advert would show a gridlocked, frustrated, powerless motorist looking on with envy as a cyclist glides through the traffic".

Hibernian's advert is one of a number put out by the motoring industry that belittles non-motorist, with another current radio advert wishing that "I hope a bus comes along soon" to anyone who can't avail of their latest motor insurance product.

Maher concluded "It is a pity given the urgent need to encourage people to get out of their cars, that the motoring industry adopt such a negative approach towards sustainable transport."

ENDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Trampas

Where can i complain about Hib about this.

All cyclist should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ye i think we should all do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Who's "we"? I certainly wouldn't want to lend my support to this.

I don't think being politically correct about the depiction of cycling in advertisements will get cyclists anything but derisory laughter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

haha, saw this advert the other day for the first time and I was thinking that it was abit iffy showing people on bikes as jealous cause they can't seem to afford cars.
    Also thought I'd see a complaint about it...I guess I was right :)

Personally I'd have to agree with some aspects of the above complaint, they should have adverts promoting people cycling and laughing at people stuck in cars...atleast its realistic ;)

• Advertisement

I'm sympathetic to the complainant's feeling myself but there's a huge difference between being irked by the attitude represented in the ad and writing to the ASAI, which is a way of asking for the ad to be banned.

Cabaal wrote:
    haha, saw this advert the other day for the first time and I was thinking that it was abit iffy showing people on bikes as jealous cause they can't seem to afford cars.
    Also thought I'd see a complaint about it...I guess I was right :)

Personally I'd have to agree with some aspects of the above complaint, they should have adverts promoting people cycling and laughing at people stuck in cars...atleast its realistic ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sympathetic to the complainant's feeling myself but there's a huge difference between being irked by the attitude represented in the ad and writing to the ASAI, which is a way of asking for the ad to be banned.

Indeed I can understand where your coming from, however if you look at the other side of things.
    If nobody complains then they won't know people don't like the advert and that it shows people who cycle in a bad light imho

I don't think it shows cyclists in a bad light at all. If the ad does what it's supposed to do i.e. tap into a superior attitude some motorists might have towards cyclists, then I think it exposes that attitude for all to see. So, on the contrary, I think it shows up a certain kind of motorist in a bad light. (It probably also shows Hibernian up in a bad light - but I don't see how that is of any concern to a cyclist. Give 'em enough rope etc...)

The weak position for cyclists to adopt as a result of this ad would be to react as if Hibernian Insurance has hurt our feelings.

The strong position would be to laugh it off or shrug our shoulders and see it for what it is - a pathetic effort to make motorists feel better about themselves.

Poor old motorists - under fire from everywhere these days (even their own beloved oil companies), they need all the help they can get to get to keep believing in petrol-powered cars!

Cabaal wrote:
    Indeed I can understand where your coming from, however if you look at the other side of things.
    If nobody complains then they won't know people don't like the advert and that it shows people who cycle in a bad light imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

[...] I think it exposes that attitude for all to see. So, on the contrary, I think it shows up a certain kind of motorist in a bad light.
    I think the effect would be to confirm peoples prejudices more than give them cause to reflect. Hibernian are playing on that (especially in the winter weather), and in effect saying, "what are your options?"

I sent a message to Hibernian (through the hideous contact form on their website - they don't even give an email address!), remarking that I thought it was hilarious that cycle commuting was shown to be inferior, given that almost every morning and evening I cycle in traffic, I pass loads of stationery cars. Pointed out that it was basically offensive too - as if I only cycle because I'm too poor to own a car.

I can see your point though, but taking the piss in a press release wouldn't get taken very seriously either, and could reduce to a slagging match in the media if handled badly. Being a little po-faced is somewhat necessary, it seems.
    Poor old motorists - under fire from everywhere these days (even their own beloved oil companies), they need all the help they can get to get to keep believing in petrol-powered cars!
    Can't say I've a lot of sympathy, to be honest.

Me neither - I was being sarcastic!
    sobriquet wrote:

Can't say I've a lot of sympathy, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

What am I supposed to be jealous of?

That i can't get car insurance for a bicycle?

grrr this ad has me all confused :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

the advert shows a cyclist standing by his bicycle looking towards a driver of van who is passing by and the caption next to the cyclist states "Jealous" (sic)

who would be jealous of a van?! :D

maybe a nice merc or something, but not a van

P

Does anyone have a link to these ads so we can all have a gander? I haven't seen them yet but they sound ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Does anyone have a link to these ads so we can all have a gander? I haven't seen them yet but they sound ****e.
    I found the ad as a 5MB mpg: http://hibernian.netsource.ie/media_centre/tv_ad.asp

I just watched the ad, the jealous line appears after a car passes the cyclist. The van is shown with the approaching traffic warden and sorted appears.

Edit: http://hibernian.netsource.ie/media_centre/news_release_story.asp?ID=153
    There is a press contact that one could email, instead of the generic contact form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

daymobrew wrote:
    I just watched the ad, the jealous line appears after a car passes the cyclist. The van is shown with the approaching traffic warden and sorted appears.

What kind of car? I retract my former statement.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

King Raam wrote:
    What kind of car? I retract my former statement.
    Can't tell - only see through the car from the side windows, body not shown. Could be a new Renault Megane - sharp dropoff at rear.
    The van is an Opel, a Vivaro perhaps.

Screen shots of cyclist and of van attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Hibernian were once a major sponsor of Cycling Ireland.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

aaaaaargh!!

I'd rather be cycling in a China at peak traffic than complain about somethign as stupid as this.

This country is going nuts over the dumbest things. Are people just making too much money and have too much time on their hands to think up what next bull....t complaint to make.

Advertisement