Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Car Alarm and where to get fitted ?

Options
  • 10-11-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

All,

I'm looking for the best car alarm out there with immobiliser for an SLK.

Where and what model, any help will do !!

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Clifford/Toad, there is a whole host out there with many many extras/add-ons to choose from.

GPS Tracker is also a wise investment - even if its another bill to clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

clifford are the best... but make sure you get a bloody good installer.. Alarms are only as good as the installer you use..

css wrote:
    clifford are the best... but make sure you get a bloody good installer.. Alarms are only as good as the installer you use..

if you go to a proper clifford authorised dealer, their installers are Clifford trained and certified

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

As above,only clifford authorised installers should be fitting clifford alarms,to my knowledge there's only 1 in dublin and 1 in kildare certified.

They start from 350 and go up to about 1200 for something with all the bells galore.Some of the systems are thatcham approved and i know britton offer a discount on insurance with this.

My advice would be a sytem thats blakjax enabled(650e) that way even if the would be thief got past the two on board immobilisers or robbed the keys from your house,without the preset pincode the car will die after a few seconds and theres no way he can start it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I had a Clifford installed during the week on a new Golf GTI, can't praise it enough.

Brendan (authorised dealer) did it, took about 5 hours. One thing - Blackjack is a bit more than 650 (I didn't get it) and Cliffords don't start from 350 either. :)

I got the lifetime guarantee, wallet with pack in it etc

Mine has a proximity sensor which means if you start gawking in the window the alarm will warn you off with about 4 short beeps.

His number is 087 2384394.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Hi BB,

Can you let me know how much the alarm cost with fitting ? You can PM me if needed.

Thanks.

Big Balls wrote:
    I had a Clifford installed during the week on a new Golf GTI, can't praise it enough.

Brendan (authorised dealer) did it, took about 5 hours. One thing - Blackjack is a bit more than 650 (I didn't get it) and Cliffords don't start from 350 either. :)

I got the lifetime guarantee, wallet with pack in it etc

Mine has a proximity sensor which means if you start gawking in the window the alarm will warn you off with about 4 short beeps.

His number is 087 2384394.

ah APA in Palmerstown at the cottages? Good setup down there, and an authorised installer.
    at least you can rest a little easier at night BB

Yeh APA...

The car I have can't have the full €1,000 alarm as the ignition wiring is too small so I got a special price minus blackjack and autostart for €500 but not sure what it would be for other cars.

The noise off the siren is mental, changes tones during activation and you would be MAD to stay messing with a car with that much noise coming off it.

The clifford arrow 5 which is there entry system costs 350 inc fitting
    I had the concept 650 with blakjax added on installed for 650e on my last car

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

Yep Clifford got to be one of the best, GPS tracking is great too

mine was fitted in 8 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anywhere on the Northside that does these, or what would be the "next best thing" for those who don't have 4-600 quid to spend :) - incidentially, any opinions on Flashpoint alarms?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

clones of the alarm i guess, but they dont seems to have as many channels as clifford though

AlphaGards do remote starts pager alarm, like cliffords, my friend has one but compare to mine, big different.

The only fitters im aware of are apa in palmerstown and fire n ice in kildare.

There's another alarm out at the minute going cheap called a falcon evo,its got remote start ect but for a fraction of the price of a clifford,reason being the technology is comparable to clifford gen 3's whereas there on generation 5 now,the same can be said for other alarms such as the K9

Even on its own the arrow5 would be closely price to cobra/meta alarms but is more expandable,better features and more secure imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Big Balls wrote:
    I got the lifetime guarantee

True, which is indeed very handy although on the downside the warenty doesn't travel over to a new owner if you sell your car.

Yeh it does seem weird doesn't it ??

eireal wrote:
    The only fitters im aware of are apa in palmerstown and fire n ice in kildare.

There's another alarm out at the minute going cheap called a falcon evo,its got remote start ect but for a fraction of the price of a clifford,reason being the technology is comparable to clifford gen 3's whereas there on generation 5 now,the same can be said for other alarms such as the K9

Even on its own the arrow5 would be closely price to cobra/meta alarms but is more expandable,better features and more secure imo
    Is this the Falcon you mean? link

Yep thats the one

Rang them up and he's quoting 450-600 with installation depending on the options! :eek:

The Predator XL though comes in at a more reasonable €260 with install, and he says the main difference is it doesn't have remote starting or the fancy pager thing.. do you think it's ok otherwise though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

would that falcon xl offer remote locking? i have central locking, but not remote central locking, which i would really like. If i got the falcon, would it give me that option?
    thanks

L5 wrote:
    would that falcon xl offer remote locking? i have central locking, but not remote central locking, which i would really like. If i got the falcon, would it give me that option?
    thanks
    Says it does - from the specs:
    • Two x 4 Button Remote Controls
    Remote Locking
    • Total Closure Facility (dependent)
    • Immobiliser
    • Passive Arming & Passive Locking
    • Audible Arm/Disarm Chirps
    • Silent Arm/Disarm Option
    • Flashing hazard lights on alarm activation
    • Anti-Hijack
    • Automatic Re-Arm
    • Ignition Lock/Unlock
    • Arm condition memory
    • Intrusion indication
    • Emergency Overide
    • Valet Mode
    • Very Loud Siren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Says it does - from the specs:
    • Two x 4 Button Remote Controls
    Remote Locking
    • Total Closure Facility (dependent)
    • Immobiliser
    • Passive Arming & Passive Locking
    • Audible Arm/Disarm Chirps
    • Silent Arm/Disarm Option
    • Flashing hazard lights on alarm activation
    • Anti-Hijack
    • Automatic Re-Arm
    • Ignition Lock/Unlock
    • Arm condition memory
    • Intrusion indication
    • Emergency Overide
    • Valet Mode
    • Very Loud Siren

yeah but i was wondering if that was only available if you already had remote central locking as a feature on your car?

L5 wrote:
    yeah but i was wondering if that was only available if you already had remote central locking as a feature on your car?
    Not sure. My Mirage has remote central locking already but I'd assume that they wouldn't mention it in the specs like that without something like "depending on car" if it was an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

well your car can physically central lock, as in when you turn the key then all the doors lock so i assume its just a case of adding a reciever to sense when the remote sends a signal to central lock? i presume it would take more of an install to do this though

Yes that alarm would work your central locking,infact any alarm with a C/L output should do that.

I still wouldnt touch the Falcon tho,i was looking at the evo before and advised that the software was outdated in it and not to go near them.There's a reason that installed it costs about 800cheaper than a clifford of the same spec,its a million times better.

Theres no interior ultrasonics on them either,not a major issue but they use a proximity sensor instead.I think Louie from besecure is on here,he may be able to give you a more indepth review on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

On my third Clifford and I will never touch anything else: make sure the install is done by APA and not the bloke on the corner who fixes cars on the weekend.

kevmac wrote:
    On my third Clifford and I will never touch anything else: make sure the install is done by APA and not the bloke on the corner who fixes cars on the weekend.
    How much did it set you back in total? And do they have a website?

I would only use them too...

autoprotectaudio@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

I got the Clifford 650 with Blackjak and USB cable out so I can programme it on the PC: €800.

Well worth it for the piece of mind.

kevmac wrote:
    I got the Clifford 650 with Blackjak and USB cable out so I can programme it on the PC: €800.

Well worth it for the piece of mind.
    800 quid??!!! :eek:

Unfortunately I really can't afford that sorta money, and let's face it - if someone wants into your car that badly, they'll get in no matter what you have. :(

What'd be your "next best" choice(s) then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Try Cobra or Meta; both very reliable.

I thought Clifford were only supplied to those who had passed Cliffords training? I've never seen one, but a company I deal with who fit alarms say thet they're the best, but they don't fit them (they don't feel they have the market for them).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement