Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tile paint

• 10-11-2005 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

hi all,

anyone used and have tips re tile paints,

do you just lash it over the tiled area - and then grout over - or do you have to be very careful and paint only the tile and not over the grout ?

i also hear you can get amost stone or marble effecet tile paint now as well as solid colors ? - any know makes of these paints

Thanks

Laurence

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

First of all before you go painting any tiles I'd recommend applying this first.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=37388

Then apply paint after its dry with a small brush,first cut in and around awkward objects like sockets if there is any.Then get a small hand roller with a sponge sleeve like this one.Tile paint can be applied over grout,but if you are painting it a colour I think you can buy a grout pen and draw back in lines where grout was.I think the stone/marble paint you are thinking of comes in a spray can and its sort of a portafleck finish with bits in paint while spraying.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/find;a;1;ID;,Roller.Covers...Frames;eclDrill;811

Apply coats till you are happy with result.And maybe sanding lightly inbetween coats with a fine(P180) wet&dry sandpaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Thanks MadM - great info, im wondering if all the effort - it would be simpler to retile ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

haha had to laugh at what you said...Re-tile,hmmm what part of house are tiles? bathroom or kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I've used the Universal Tile Primer to paint over some disgusting blue/gold tiles.

It works well, but is pretty laborious, as you need to sugar soap down, scrubbing vigorously to get a bit of a 'key' on the tile. Then you need to apply two coats of the Primer - a bit tiring, as it is quite thick.

Then you put on two coats of ordinary gloss paint. Like I said, it works well once you don't put the gloss on too thickly, as it dribbles otherwise. Completely covered up the manky tiles! As I painted white, I just painted over the (originally white) grout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭amerden

I painted all the tiles in my kitchen with International Tile Paint, the one with the built in primer, i.e. one coat (believe Ronseal do one as well). Used a brush to apply and a small gloss roller to finish off to get rid of any brush strokes, used a grout pen after paint dried & hardened to put back grout lines. Fantastic job, no hassle. Make sure that all your tiles very clean, no grease etc. Job done now 2 years and still looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Thanks all, Have heard today ronseal works well.

this is for kitchen including the spashback

Advertisement